Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,970 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

+1 for The Cold Forge being the best Alien novel.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Nov 04, 2020, 12:03:39 AM
Going ahead and jumping into The Cold Forge now...

Cheater

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2020, 08:36:22 AM
Agreed. Easily one of the top 4 Alien novels. Alex's other series, The Salvagers, is fantastic too! Still need to read the 3rd and final but it's on the book shelf waiting.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to give that a go.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 04, 2020, 01:18:42 PM
Quote from: Gentleman Death on Nov 04, 2020, 12:03:39 AM
Going ahead and jumping into The Cold Forge now...

Cheater

Sometimes you just have to...

Nightmare Asylum

I cheated my way all the way up to The Cold Forge... and then skipped to Phalanx. ;)

I did read the Perry trilogy, Prey, and DNA War back in middle school but.... can't say I'm a fan of any of that these days.

SM

SM

Prey is still one of the best novels.

Gentleman Death

I'm saving Echo for last as that's the one I'm less interested in..

Still Collating...

Quote from: SM on Nov 04, 2020, 08:37:27 PM
Prey is still one of the best novels.

I adore the comic but really dislike the novel, and I read the novel before I got to the comic. Perry's treatment of the Alien and Predator really gets on my nerves in that book. I might give it a reread since I haven't in a long time, but I'm worried it just might remind me how much better the comic actually is in my eyes.

Nightmare Asylum

I think my main issues with Prey, from what I recall all these years later, mostly have to do with the portrayal of the Aliens as "entry level" prey before moving onto humans, and the entire concept of the Yautja. I really, really don't like the idea of the Yautja and the portrayal of the Predators as "honorable" in the slightest.

felix

felix

Any chance the original Predator novelization will be get re-printed someday? I think a lot would like to get that.

Corporal Hicks

That one is pretty easy to pick up.

Gentleman Death

Finished Cold Forge...

Wow, what a damn good solid book! I can easily see why folks liked this one and it's definitely in my top 5 alien novels.

I don't know if I've read a character like Dorian before, he was slick, conniving, evil and smart. I'd say he was one of my favorites from the books and each time he was on page, I couldn't wait to see what he'd do next!

There was one thing that kind of bothered me about the book and it was why they'd have a program like Silversmile on a station that houses the alien research. Given what the program was meant to do and all...

Other than that I found it fantastic. The characters and plot were great and I really enjoyed the authors writing style.

I enjoyed the Seegson reference that was included and it was nice to have another "company" involved as I know it's mentioned here and there throughout the novels but never goes into it too deeply.

Marcus having to hold the specimen in his stomach was smart and I'd never thought of them doing something like that, but makes sense when described how. I also liked how the author didn't go all marvel superhuman strength with the android. Yes, it's brought up and Marcus runs and jumps lengths that humans can't, but doesn't focus in on that, as it's not a huge part of the story.

Blue wasn't as bad as Dorian, but found her almost almost to his degree. It was like a battle of Alpha's for pure selfish reasons on her and Dorian. (Any idea why Blue prefers a male android body over a female?)

The ending was perfect as it wasn't left open and I don't think I'd want a sequel, I felt it tied itself up rather well.

Also, I don't know if I read it correctly but was it Marcus who ultimately let the Aliens out because he was hacked by the Seegson company?

Fantastic read and I see he's coming out with another Alien novel in February so I'll for sure be getting that!

Alien isolation is next...

SM

SM

QuoteThere was one thing that kind of bothered me about the book and it was why they'd have a program like Silversmile on a station that houses the alien research. Given what the program was meant to do and all...

Fair argument, but they had contingencies.  They just weren't good enough.

QuoteAlso, I don't know if I read it correctly but was it Marcus who ultimately let the Aliens out because he was hacked by the Seegson company?

Spoiler
Yes.
[close]

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Nov 09, 2020, 06:49:40 PM
Finished Cold Forge...

Wow, what a damn good solid book! I can easily see why folks liked this one and it's definitely in my top 5 alien novels.

I don't know if I've read a character like Dorian before, he was slick, conniving, evil and smart. I'd say he was one of my favorites from the books and each time he was on page, I couldn't wait to see what he'd do next!

There was one thing that kind of bothered me about the book and it was why they'd have a program like Silversmile on a station that houses the alien research. Given what the program was meant to do and all...

Other than that I found it fantastic. The characters and plot were great and I really enjoyed the authors writing style.

I enjoyed the Seegson reference that was included and it was nice to have another "company" involved as I know it's mentioned here and there throughout the novels but never goes into it too deeply.

Marcus having to hold the specimen in his stomach was smart and I'd never thought of them doing something like that, but makes sense when described how. I also liked how the author didn't go all marvel superhuman strength with the android. Yes, it's brought up and Marcus runs and jumps lengths that humans can't, but doesn't focus in on that, as it's not a huge part of the story.

Blue wasn't as bad as Dorian, but found her almost almost to his degree. It was like a battle of Alpha's for pure selfish reasons on her and Dorian. (Any idea why Blue prefers a male android body over a female?)

The ending was perfect as it wasn't left open and I don't think I'd want a sequel, I felt it tied itself up rather well.

Also, I don't know if I read it correctly but was it Marcus who ultimately let the Aliens out because he was hacked by the Seegson company?

Fantastic read and I see he's coming out with another Alien novel in February so I'll for sure be getting that!

Alien isolation is next...

Now go and listen to podcast Hicks recorded with Alex White back in 2018. The dude is charming

Corporal Hicks

For everyone's edification, Alex doesn't use gender pronouns/descriptions. They or them for Alex.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed