Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 71,443 times)

lightsyder

lightsyder

Thanks for the feedback on Isolation.  Sounds like it may just go to the bottom of the read list

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Aug 04, 2020, 03:17:53 PM
Finished Aliens Original Sin and out of the bunch so far, it was the easiest and quickest to read, not sure if that's a good thing.

I really didn't mind the story, I've personally come to like A:R over the years, flaws and all so it was nice to see the returning characters.

I didn't mind the whole secret Loki group and the Malaka species either. It made more sense to me then what happened with David creating the aliens.

Nothing inspiring about the characters, though. I wished the author would've focused more on Call, Johner and Vriess.

Plus it ends in a way where it seems it was supposed to set up more continuation but I've found no other novels do, so that's kinda lame.

I think the book could've fleshed out more pages, easily another 100. I also liked the setting in the botanical base.

DNA War is next....

I found reading this book to be a torturous experience.  It took me a long time but I got through it.  I don't remember anything from it really.  Just made no impression.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Question...

I generally read books in the order in which they are written. Is this recommended with the ALIEN novels?

Thanks in advance.  :)

SM

SM

Yes, though in most cases it doesn't really matter.

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 07, 2020, 10:33:55 PM

I found reading this book to be a torturous experience.  It took me a long time but I got through it.  I don't remember anything from it really.  Just made no impression.

I can see that. It was an easy read, I think I liked it mainly for the characters that returned but even then it was short. I think it was intended to continue but clearly didn't.

SM

SM

I didn't find it torturous - just a bit 'meh'.  Ripley has gone backwards as a character.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: lightsyder on Aug 06, 2020, 09:11:34 PMDoes it go past the game ending any or does it end the same way?

It adds the epilogue from the web series, but that's it.

SM

SM

The series was supposed to be more complex and the book was supposed to go a bit further in having Amanda picked up.  Budget saw to the series ending being scaled down.  Not sure why the intended ending for the book getting trimmed.

SiL

SiL

Ran out of ink, clearly.

SM

SM

That shit ain't cheap.

Tichinde

Tichinde

Spoiler
Stalking Shadows surprised me. I bought the book for Predators (obviously) but I actually just ended up getting pissed when they showed up since they kill the characters I grew so fond of. Highly recommend either way though, it's a pretty realistic gritty but hopeful look at a man set in the universe of alien big game hunters and his relationship with his colleagues. Its also incredibly satisfying to see some of the preds they came up with. In particular Chapter 4 has a new subspecies of pred that is pretty cool. We get a few details on a female yautja, and we get another (awful) attempt at predator dogs. Either way the characters carry the story and you get to see why Dutch is such a prick in the P: HG audio logs. He actually has a character that might not develop too much but he's not just a stone cold assassin, he's generally portrayed really well and is a total badass through the entire book.
[close]

Thats my mini review

SM

SM

Thanks for the spoilers.

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: SM on Aug 09, 2020, 12:03:04 AM
It's a new book and there's no mention of Dutch in the blurb.

Perhaps edit the post with spoiler tags instead of being a tit.

I've edited the post with spoiler tags.

Regardless of whether you think something is a spoiler or not Tichinde. It is still worth putting any details from new products in spoiler tags, as not everybody might know as much as you do going into something.

Tichinde

Tichinde

Alright but just to set the record straight SM:

Its in the publisher summary

SM

SM

I read the blurb on Amazon.
Spoiler
No Dutch.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed