Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,507 times)

SM

SM

Despite having a lot of good stuff (the hive flashback is still possibly the best single issue of any Aliens comic), Labyrinth is definitely over-rated.  One of the best things about Labyrinth is Plunket's art so you already lose something when moving to text.

I don't mind Crespi - his inability to take decisive action and constantly changing his mind if kind of Shakespearean (though it does make you wonder how he achieved such a high rank).

But they were so close to subverting the clichéd mad scientist that it's almost frustrating to read these days.

SiL

SiL

I can forgive him being wishy-washy up until the end; after everything he's seen to that point, he still ends up believing Church one last time? Church is right; he is a fatuous ra-ra boy (but that's probably how he got his rank.)

I think the novel improved on a few places in character development and world building. Probably the biggest improvement is while it loses Plunket's art, it also loses all of the laughably over the top gore (the Alien pitching that skull at the dropship remains the most ludicrous thing in an otherwise serious comic I've seen.)

SM

SM

Go read DotS or Xenogenesis again.  ;D

Gentleman Death

Yeah, it was very hard to not only try to relate to Crespis position but his thinking, I couldn't get behind anything he was thinking or doing.

Plus Church had crazy enough strength to bend a gun but gets pushed over a railing because McGuiness has super strength all of a sudden???

I didn't like the ending when I finished it but the more I let it sink in it made sense to end it that way. First read in the series that it ended kind of dark.

Once I'm done with the omnibus novels I'll go and get the graphic novels.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2020, 12:20:22 AM
Go read DotS or Xenogenesis again.  ;D
That's why I specified "otherwise serious", I refuse to believe those are anything but piss takes cover to cover :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

How about Aliens: Colonial Marines issues one through twelve ten?

SM

SM

Generally decent, up to the last three issues or so when it takes a dive.  And then a bigger dive in the last issue.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2020, 12:00:32 AM
The Alien pitching that skull at the dropship remains the most ludicrous thing in an otherwise serious comic I've seen

Oh come on! It's awesome ! :D

SM

SM

It's not the act so much as the Alien being such a deadly shot.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Jul 09, 2020, 11:29:16 PMFinished Aliens Labyrinth....I might say this could be the worst so far, or at least tied with Alien Harvest.

I was definitely a little disappointed by Labyrinth given its reputation but it's by no means among the worst novels. It's a decent read, it's just uneven. The hive flashback is exceptional; the framing story isn't bad, but it's not especially great either, and the fact the hive bit is so good just makes the rest of the novel seem weaker by comparison.

I'd still put it leagues ahead of Alien Harvest.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jul 10, 2020, 06:43:59 AM
It's not the act so much as the Alien being such a deadly shot.
Oh no I got problems with it aaaall the way down :laugh:

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Agreed that "Labyrinth" is overrated. The hive scene with Plunkett's art is certainly one of the most twisted moments in the whole Dark Horse run but I was always annoyed that Church was just walking Xeno's on a leash because apparently if a xeno is born from a sheep it's more docile; which I find dumb. I've always preferred Rogue and was pleasantly  surprised when the novel was an improvement over the comic.

Finished "Predator: Turnabout" yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Steve Perry really did a good job on this one and there wasn't one instance of Predator POV (which I prefer but considering his output on "AVP: Prey" I was fully expecting the Pred POV). The human characters were all believable and fleshed out and I especially liked Sloane. Surprisingly the Predators weren't in the story all that much but their presence was felt throughout which I found very refreshing. I also liked how the Predators were originally on a hunting trip for Grizzlies before humans entered the mix. My only complaint is I found at least two dozen typos which took me right out of the story (C'mon Editors!). So far the DH Press Predator books get better with each subsequent release and now I'm about to start the highly lauded "South China Sea".

SiL

SiL

The idea of an Alien being born from a sheep being more docile is specifically mentioned in Rogue though, not Labyrinth ???

Church's leash was a full body harness with high voltage current for disciplinary measures, not a literal leash attached to a collar on the Alien or something.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Really?! I could've sworn it was from Labyrinth! Oh well guess I have to give it another read lol. And regardless I don't like seeing Xeno's on leashes! Dr Church aka Xeno King aka Paul Exotic  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, Rogue's whole thing was breeding docile Aliens through selective breeding.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed