Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,531 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 30, 2020, 02:45:37 PMCool, I'll PM you my address so you can send it on over lol :laugh:

Afraid this is going on my shelf with the rest (when I actually get a shelf for my AVP books) ;D

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 30, 2020, 02:45:37 PMDid you get it for a reasonable price?

Not too bad. Still like three times the price of a brand new book, but that's considerably less that I'd seen it selling for before.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I wish titan would do a hardcover re-release

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I continue to find it a little odd that they reissued the DH Press Aliens novels but not the Predator ones.

At least Aliens: Berserker is more widely available since they did the omnibus collections, because that's a great read.

Corporal Hicks

They'll be some daft legal licensing issue that makes no sense to normal people.

SM

SM

I remember something about the license expiring from Bryan Thomas Schmidt when there was talk of a 'If It Bleeds' follow up.

(Fun fact - Stephen King just released a book call 'If It Bleeds' so you'll need to go a few pages into Google to find the Predator book now or be more specific).

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Finished Aliens: Criminal Enterprise a few days ago.

By far the best of the DH Press Aliens novels I've read thus far (although tbh that's not saying much - No Exit is still pending but otherwise this is probably the only one I'd call worthwhile). As I've come to expect from S. D. Perry, its a thoroughly solid and enjoyable read. Definite Alien 3 vibes at times with its predominantly criminal cast. And I dunno if it's just because Perry, Jr. was behind the keyboard, but this definitely reminded me of the old Bantam novels in terms of style and tone, way more so than any of the other DH Press books. Not bad. Not bad at all.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Completed the DH Press Aliens run with No Exit last week.

As has been said before, this was potentially the best/most interesting of this particular Alien run, hampered by a rushed final few chapters full of some truly mad shit - at one point
Spoiler
a man beats a bunch of Aliens down with another Alien that he's swinging around by its tail like mace :laugh:
[close]
It's a huge shame because it isn't until the final few (very short) chapters that this goes from being a really interesting and quite different read to a silly mess - I'm talking maybe the final 30-40 pages. Everything else about it was top notch and I loved the main character.

This whole starts-well-but-eventually-falls-apart trend really has permeated these Aliens books from DH Press.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

I think I'd rate them best to worse:

1. Criminal Enterprise
2. DNA War
3. No Exit
4. Cauldron
5. Original Sin
6. Steel Egg

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 19, 2020, 10:03:06 AM
Completed the DH Press Aliens run with No Exit last week.

As has been said before, this was potentially the best/most interesting of this particular Alien run, hampered by a rushed final few chapters full of some truly mad shit - at one point
Spoiler
a man beats a bunch of Aliens down with another Alien that he's swinging around by its tail like mace :laugh:
[close]
It's a huge shame because it isn't until the final few (very short) chapters that this goes from being a really interesting and quite different read to a silly mess - I'm talking maybe the final 30-40 pages. Everything else about it was top notch and I loved the main character.

This whole starts-well-but-eventually-falls-apart trend really has permeated these Aliens books from DH Press.

Spoiler
His name is not Mondo is it?  :laugh:
[close]

SM

SM

I think the switch from detective story to when they actually engage the Aliens should've come faster in No Exit.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jun 19, 2020, 01:10:13 PMI think I'd rate them best to worse:

1. Criminal Enterprise
2. DNA War
3. No Exit
4. Cauldron
5. Original Sin
6. Steel Egg

Fair. For me:

Criminal Enterprise is way out in front, and the only one that was consistently good.
I'd probably put No Exit second, because even with the terrible finale, 90% of it was an excellent read.
Third would be Original Sin, because while it was never anything more than thoroughly average and by-the-numbers, it at least didn't fall off a cliff like most of the others.
I struggle to separate DNA War and Cauldron. Cauldron had the better moments, but a greater percentage of the book was crap; DNA War was more consistently good but had far worse instances of bizarre wtf bullshit in it.

The less said about Steel Egg the better. f**k that book.

Overall this run was poor. Almost without exception the Bantam and Titan books are much better; only Criminal Enterprise sits comfortably alongside them. Steel Egg, meanwhile, is far and away the worst Alien novel I've read.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 19, 2020, 01:16:03 PM
Spoiler
His name is not Mondo is it?  :laugh:
[close]

:laugh: Touché.

Quote from: SM on Jun 19, 2020, 11:51:07 PMI think the switch from detective story to when they actually engage the Aliens should've come faster in No Exit.

To be honest, the fact there weren't Aliens in it for so long was one of this things I appreciated. It made it feel different.

It's just a shame that once they eventually appear in numbers it falls apart.

SM

SM

All those DH Press books spent a lot of time focusing on things other than the Aliens.  And generally suffered for it.

SiL

SiL

The Cartwheeliens and flying facehuggers really took the edge off DNA War I must say.

Gentleman Death

I just finished Aliens Genocide from volume 2 of the omnibus novels. This book was pretty odd. I couldn't stand the constant talk of calling the Aliens 'bugs'. That really bothered me and there were several times I almost felt like I was reading a Starship Troopers type of book.

The royal jelly was an interesting subject but I feel like the storyline of harvesting some type of blood/goo/liquid from a 'being' has been done several times.

There was also little to no description of the aliens besides tall, more ferocious, red and black etc.

It wasn't necessarily horrible but I doubt I'd ever read it again.

SM

SM

Genocide did harvesting royal jelly first.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed