Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 71,105 times)

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

@Hudson I was really disappointed at the lack of internal dialogue/interior access for main characters in The Predator novelization, yet the authors give us a two page long backstory of a random nobody character.

As for Aliens: Criminal Enterprise by S.D. Perry, I found the story really entertaining; chronicling an illegal drug manufacturing plant on a faraway planetoid, using xenos as a "natural" shield for the facility. Focusing on a pair of brothers, one of which is being blackmailed to pilot a drug run in exchange for the life of the other younger brother; while they navigate the surly (and criminal) personalities living in the complex. With a rival drug gang and a corporate hit squad both aiming to cripple the operation, this was certainly a unique Aliens story.

Perry did a great job with the characters; by the end of the story I felt as though I understood each one's motivations. This, however, leads to my only nitpick which is that Perry writes the same scene through different perspectives (which I feel mostly just pads the page count instead of furthering the story). This was the first of the DH Press novels that actually referenced concepts from the comics; Bionational, Grant Corp and NeoPharm all were mentioned (the latter two being responsible for the hit team). The aliens were portrayed as a never-ending force, overcoming all defenses with sheer numbers (though plenty were still killed off). My favorite part of the story is when the three plot lines converge, making for a very fun read with the final pages.

All in all I really enjoyed "Criminal Enterprise" and am now moving on to the final of the DH Press Aliens novels "No Exit".

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 08, 2019, 12:42:13 AM
The book is staunchly anti-communist for no discernible reason

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 08, 2019, 12:42:13 AM
I also remember Diane Carey dropping in some anti-communist sentiment a couple times in DNA War, specifically referencing something like Stalin "was even worse" than Hitler.

Interesting.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Feb 25, 2019, 10:12:44 PMBut strangely, it seems as if AvP: War is really just a plagiarized retcon of Hunter's Planet in some glaring ways.

Other way around. Although War the novel was published after Hunter's Planet, it's based on the comic of the same name, which came out in '95, two years before Hunter's Planet was published.

As I understand it (never actually read Hunter's Planet, despite owning it for years) they're both alternative sequels to the original AVP novel, so it's no surprise they feature some of the same characters.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Huh. No idea why I'd got it in my head it came out in '97!

Corporal Hicks

If only there was a Wiki you could check...  :P

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Oh, shut up :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

I saw that sly edit you did there...  :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Typo, bitch, the date in the infobox was accurate :P

Corporal Hicks

I think that Top Knot came from the comics first.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Shorty and Topknot both come from AVP 2 comic which later became issue 0 for War. AVP 2 ran from Jan 92 to Feb 93 in small shorts. Both Hunters Planet and War (novel) include this short as a chapter or two.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Thanks for clearing that up!

Wweyland

Wweyland

Also read this a few months ago. Was put off by the continuity problems but I knew about them beforehand.
There was some nice stuff from the Yautja perspective that we don't get often. The original Predator novel trilogy had none of that.

Attila the Hun was an odd character for me. It seemed that there was sexual relationship between Machiko and him, sort of her using him as a sexbot or something (that I read between the lines). Later in the book he starts "unlocking his special features" and realizes he is some kind of sleeper "Resistance" fighter agent-bot, so they go on adventures taking down the Company. Hey, maybe they will meet up with Amanda Ripley.

The Old One

The Old One

LOL ridiculous EU inventions.

Corporal Hicks

I had completely forgot about the robo-Aliens. I've got a soft-spot for the Xenoborgs because of how much I loved that game. The only Aliens in Hunter's Planet are the robos, aren't they?

The Old One

The Old One

Ugh, No thank you. lol.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed