Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 71,124 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Just some quick thoughts on a few novels I've (re-)read recently.

Predator: Incursion

I was way behind on getting the Rage War trilogy. Happy to say this didn't disappoint. Refreshingly different, well-written by Lebbon, loved the star-trotting style and large cast of characters. I guess there isn't much of a plot as such, but it moved along at a nice pace and I was constantly engaged. A really good start to the trilogy.

Alien: Sea of Sorrows

Second time through this, mostly to refresh my memory ahead of getting the audio drama. I think this might be my favourite of the 2014 novels, not necessarily because I think it's the best, but because it had the least issues that really annoyed me (Out of the shadows had Ripley in a palce she couldn't have been, leading to the ridiculous deus ex machina mind-wipe scenario, while River of Pain contained too much that contradicted the film and generally felt like a huge missed opportunity). Too many faceless characters, but some nice world-building at the start and it did recall some of the old Bantam novels in its style.

Alien: Invasion

Didn't like this quite as much as the first - it suffered a little from "middle entry syndrome", lacking either a strong beginning or end, and felt like it didn't progress all that much. Also the war kinda disappeared for much of the novel; would've been nice to get a little more info on how it was progressing throughout the book. Still, this was nevertheless another very good read. Can't believe it took me until this second novel to notice the incredibly obvious Mass Effect parallels, I wonder if that was coincidence or if Lebbon is a fan?

Also re-read Alien: The Cold Forge, but I've already gone on enough about how much I love that novel.

SM

SM

I thought the mind wipe worked perfectly fine in OotS.  We knew it was going to happen, so it hinged on how Lebbon sold it.  There's a good reason for Ripley to need it, and it was a great way to build on the medpod technology to treat combat trauma.

Plus Ripley's presence drove the whole plan to escape.  Without her there's no trip down to the mine.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The fact I saw it coming a mile off didn't make it any less of a lame plot device in my eyes.

Corporal Hicks

I found it something of a looming distraction. There's a constant question of "so how do they handle this?" I mean, it's not so distracting when you already know but going in there the first time.

Wweyland

Wweyland

It's nice that Ripley stuck the harpoon gun back under the door before going to sleep in the end of OotS.

The Old One

The Old One

Hehehe.

SM

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 16, 2018, 01:38:31 PM
The fact I saw it coming a mile off didn't make it any less of a lame plot device in my eyes.

If you read the blurb, you can't not see it coming before you even open the book.

The Old One

The Old One

That's because it's a bad idea in the first place is the point.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2018, 08:21:54 PMIf you read the blurb, you can't not see it coming before you even open the book.

I refer you to my previous post:

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 16, 2018, 01:38:31 PMThe fact I saw it coming a mile off didn't make it any less of a lame plot device in my eyes.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

As much as I liked Out of the Shadows, I agree that Ripley shouldn't have been added, even if the characterization was great, same goes for Ash.
They could have done something different to drive the plot.

And as someone stated, the Harpoon gun continuity is altered.

SM

SM

Pales into distant insignificance next to the number of hypersleep pods error.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Yes, there was supposed to be two in the shuttle right?

SM

SM

The Old One

The Old One

Continuity or no continuity, the inclusion of Ripley retroactively going on another adventure feels contrived.

Still Collating...

Welcome to another episode of " Adventures with Ellen ".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed