Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,526 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Apr 26, 2018, 04:25:10 PMAvP: War 2/5

This didn't have the energy that either Prey or Berserker did, and as a third part in that trilogy I just didn't feel really satisfied with the way that either of the preceding narratives tie together. It's pretty unremarkable when Noguchi finally meets up with Jess, Ellis, and Laura. Then the book just feels like it's over. I think the lack of a novelization for Three World War would help us.

Mirrors my thoughts exactly. A disappointing conclusion to two of the better books.

Corporal Hicks

I just remembered I'd had this saved as a draft for a month - https://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/aliens-rogue/

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Rogue remains one of my favourites out of the novels I've read. It's one of only two or three outside of the film novelisations that I've read more than once.

You forgot to mention perhaps the most baffling change of all though - the fact Cray dies in the book despite apparently surviving in the comic!

SM

SM

The novel plays out the same as the comic - he gets his arm cut off and the sonic cannon overloads.

Corporal Hicks

You're thinking Kleist, SM. Cray was the spy. He makes it out in the comic but dies in the book.

SM

SM

Oh, yes.  :laugh:

I was wondering what HuDa was on about.

So very tired...

Wweyland

Wweyland

Kleist pops up in some other story later right?

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, he shows up at the end of Colonial Marines as the leader of the Bugmen or something.

SM

SM

Yeah somehow he becomes The Father.

With his arm grown back.

HuDaFuK

SM

SM

I'm hard pressed to think of a better written book.  Berserker perhaps.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 10, 2018, 05:24:35 PMTo answer to my proclamation that this isn't the 'best written,' I would point you to Steve or SD Perry's sentence-level writing as far superior, and the same goes for Lebbon's in Out of the Shadows.

I honestly find Steve Perry's writing pretty poor. It always strikes me as a little immature. Like teen-fiction masquerading as an adult story or something.

His daughter's work is far better, and I like Lebbon's style very much, but I absolutely stand by the assertion that I've never read an Alien book as well-written as this one.

SM

SM

A better written Alien book...

SM

SM

The tense immediately stuck out as 'Is the whole book like this?', but after a couple of pages became a non-issue.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I didn't even notice :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed