Alien/Predator Novel Reviews

Started by Hudson, Aug 19, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Author
Alien/Predator Novel Reviews (Read 70,977 times)

Corporal Hicks

Dem battleballs.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Feb 20, 2018, 08:32:57 AMBooks? Free books? I'll pay postage.

On a serious note though, I'd quite like to bagsie No Exit as it looks like it'd be the biggest pain for me to get. The rest are fair game if you wanna get in on the freebies.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 20, 2018, 08:25:23 AMIf no-one else claims any off me before I send you Predator 2 back, I'll just pop them all in there.

That was gonna be my next question :laugh: You even opened it yet, bitch?

Corporal Hicks

Not yet mate. Honestly, I've just not been in the mood for too much at the minute. I keep starting books and not finishing them (which is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned).

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

No worries, I'm only joking. I haven't read a thing for weeks either so I can't really judge!

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 20, 2018, 08:25:23 AM
More recently I ended up letting my dislike for the Yautja culture colour my view of the book. And of course the Alien's being stomped upon. Which was unfair a bit, I think, as it was actually a pretty good book! Reading your review, I do now fancy a re-read of Prey.

When I was younger, the yautja concept was troubling to me and it soured my taste. This time, I accepted that Steve Perry's read on the Xenomorphs is that "they're stupid," and he wanted to balance them out by making the Predators into round characters. The Predator is a character in the first two films, but a flat character. Not really nuance. It has one goal and that's it.

In Prey, even a character like Tichinde who's meant to come off as frustrating and insolent is actually portrayed as more nuanced if you take a closer look. I generally just bought into the well-done characterization throughout the novel. It's something I tend to struggle with in my own writing.

[spoilers]

In terms of the Aliens in Prey, I think they're meant to  be taken as stupid bugs, but I found they actually do fairly well for themselves. I mean, there's not a single Predator character who survives the book before a new one is introduced at the end. The Aliens wipe them out, save for the Predators who kill each other. Beyond that, it takes nearly half the novel for adult Xenomorphs to enter into the equation, so I felt the buildup to their arrival also did a good job of treating them with a decent amount of respect.

SM

SM

Been trying to read Prey again for months. Keep getting waylaid.

happypred

happypred

I enjoyed both Prey and Hunter's Planet quite a bit.

I may even have enjoyed the latter more. Pretty fun writing all around

Corporal Hicks

Hunter's Planet I really need to re-read. I've only read it the once and I have memories of it just being awful but I can't say why.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I've had Hunter's Planet ages, but I've still not read it. I skipped ahead to War because I loved Berserker so much and wanted to see what became of the surviving characters, then I kinda burned out on the novels and never got around to reading it.

It's an alternate sequel to the first, right?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 22, 2018, 11:25:47 AM
I've had Hunter's Planet ages, but I've still not read it. I skipped ahead to War because I loved Berserker so much and wanted to see what became of the surviving characters, then I kinda burned out on the novels and never got around to reading it.

That's why I don't try and binge read series anymore. I binged Hitch Hiker's Guide and by the last 2 books I was so fed-up. I always try and swap between different series now.

QuoteIt's an alternate sequel to the first, right?

That's right.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 22, 2018, 11:25:47 AM

It's an alternate sequel to the first, right?

I'm currently progressing through that sequence now, nearly finished with Berserker, hoping to read War this weekend, maybe tomorrow or Saturday since it's so short, and then Hunter's Planet before moving on to the DHP Predator novels.

Hunter's Planet I read forever ago, when I was in jr. high. It's odd that they didn't try to adapt War into a continuity that follows Hunter's Planet, because as I understand there's a plot hole that forces readers to choose one or the other (HP or War) as the sequel to Prey.

They need to bring S.D. Perry back to novelize Three World War, and then we can have a true AvP trilogy in novel form.

SM

SM

QuoteThat's why I don't try and binge read series anymore. I binged Hitch Hiker's Guide and by the last 2 books I was so fed-up. I always try and swap between different series now.

Same.  I think I've read one (and listened to another) non-Alien related book since the end of 2015.  If what I'm reading is really good, it's not hard to maintain enthusiasm, but finishing one then starting to read another can be a bit of a struggle.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hudson on Feb 22, 2018, 07:10:49 PM
They need to bring S.D. Perry back to novelize Three World War, and then we can have a true AvP trilogy in novel form.

I would love that. I really would! I think the newer series would be ripe for adaptations too. Don't get me wrong, I've loved having original novels but the idea of novel of the comics is just something I so associate with Alien and Predator that I've always got this little desire for more.

SM

SM

Not that it'll happen but I love to see Life & Death as a novel.  It read a lot better on the page, and didn't come across quite as epic as it could've in comic form.

I think Three World War would also benefit from a novel to finish off Machiko's story, AvP's not going anywhere at the minute.

XenoScorcher

XenoScorcher

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 22, 2018, 08:01:12 AM
Hunter's Planet I really need to re-read. I've only read it the once and I have memories of it just being awful but I can't say why.
I agree. It ages like a fine wine though lol. It's better now than it was.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed