Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,081 times)

Uncle Hernando

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2015, 12:48:35 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:39:44 PM
Wait...what? :D

As long as Weaver is alive, they will find a way to bring Ripley back she is Weaver. When Weaver dies, then Ripley will stay dead because that character is her trademark.

It does seem like a rather odd cash cow, one that has gone sour over time for Weaver. Ripley can die without Weaver dying, they shouldn't be mutually exclusive, it's just sad that nobody is up to the task of writing another character in to fill her shoes.

Alien³

Enter...

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Uncle Hernando on Feb 27, 2015, 12:52:38 PMRipley can die without Weaver dying, they shouldn't be mutually exclusive, it's just sad that nobody is up to the task of writing another character in to fill her shoes.

Yeah, this. It's a lot easier the just stick Ripley on the poster than develop someone new.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 27, 2015, 12:11:44 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:09:20 PMBy that logic when we reach 2050 and Alien X: Neomorph is released, it should have Ripley in it?

Alien V: Ripley

That's not bad... For a human...   ;)

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:09:20 PM
Quote from: Aquarius8 on Feb 27, 2015, 11:13:21 AM
Also for the people that say "Just do a new story without Ripley".  Sorry, that's like the new "Star Wars' Episode VII movie not having Han, Luke or Leia or the new Terminator movie not having Arnold (When they didn't have Arnold it flopped).   When people think Alien they think Ripley, I'm talking about general audences.  I know the world is large and it's bigger than Ripley but she's the central character.  As great as "Alien 3" was to me a child, killing off Ripley wasn't a great move for the franchise cause she's just a great character that should live on.  She had such a tragic ending in Alien 3.

By that logic when we reach 2050 and Alien X: Neomorph is released, it should have Ripley in it?

Well that applies to every major ongoing film series.  At some point you will have to start fresh or pass the torch.  I think fans will want to see a proper passing of the torch down the line or the right happily ever after moment...

Alien³

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 27, 2015, 01:19:29 PM
At some point you will have to start fresh or pass the torch.

JP4 is doing just that and its looking to be a fresh new start. For the Alien series that point should be now.

I think fans will want to see a proper passing of the torch down the line or the right happily ever after moment...

Why does it need to "pass the torch"? Is it that obscure to just have a new torch?

DoomRulz

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:51:54 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2015, 12:48:35 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:39:44 PM
Wait...what? :D

As long as Weaver is alive, they will find a way to bring Ripley back she is Weaver. When Weaver dies, then Ripley will stay dead because that character is her trademark.

You know, I think we should have Hudson come back because Paxton was awesome as that character. :-*

Your sarcasm is lost on me. That doesn't even make sense because Hudson isn't important.

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:55:00 PM
Enter...

http://ftg.operationsupplydrop.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/prometheus-elizabeth-shaw-500x281.jpg

It was either the writing or her acting, but I got no Ripley-esque vibes from her.

Aquarius8

I agree with you guys overall though.  It shouldn't be about Ripley forever.  But you have to think about the business side of the franchise too.  You say "Alien" people say Surgorney Weaver.   I would love some new Alien Stories with a new person in the lead.  But I just don't see Fox doing that.  I mean it's been what 18 years since Alien: Resurrection and they haven't done a new "Alien" only movie. 

Uncle Hernando

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 27, 2015, 12:11:44 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:09:20 PMBy that logic when we reach 2050 and Alien X: Neomorph is released, it should have Ripley in it?

Alien V: Ripley

That's not bad... For a human...   ;)

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 12:09:20 PM
Also for the people that say "Just do a new story without Ripley".  Sorry, that's like the new "Star Wars' Episode VII movie not having Han, Luke or Leia or the new Terminator movie not having Arnold (When they didn't have Arnold it flopped).   When people think Alien they think Ripley, I'm talking about general audences.  I know the world is large and it's bigger than Ripley but she's the central character.  As great as "Alien 3" was to me a child, killing off Ripley wasn't a great move for the franchise cause she's just a great character that should live on.  She had such a tragic ending in Alien 3.

By that logic when we reach 2050 and Alien X: Neomorph is released, it should have Ripley in it?

Well that applies to every major ongoing film series.  At some point you will have to start fresh or pass the torch.  I think fans will want to see a proper passing of the torch down the line or the right happily ever after moment...

Why does it have to be a happily ever after moment? Why can't it be in keeping with the dark depressing tone we have come to expect from the series? I thought the ending of Alien 3 was an amazingly refreshing piece of cinema that didn't have the overused trope of the family unit overcoming all and having a long happy life together.

Sure Ripley sacrificing herself to stop the alien threat was a trope in itself but one that was dealt with tastefully and with the blend of triumph with the bitter sting of death. Ripley is robbed of everything and in sacrificing what life she had left managed to succeed.

That was so much more satisfying and showing how emotionally mature David Fincher assumed the fans were, it's a credit to the series, characters and fans that they cidn't take the cheap option that would have been such a disservice to the Alien. This ugly cheap option that is now rearing it's ugly head once more.

Aquarius8

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 01:33:52 PM
At some point you will have to start fresh or pass the torch.

JP4 is doing just that and its looking to be a fresh new start. For the Alien series that point should be now.

I think fans will want to see a proper passing of the torch down the line or the right happily ever after moment...

Why does it need to "pass the torch"? Is it that obscure to just have a new torch?

They are doing a passing of the torch with the new Star Wars movie having Luke, Han and Leia bring in the new characters.  Maybe have a new character in Alien 5 introduced that will move the franchise forward Post-Ripley. 

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2015, 01:35:39 PM
It was either the writing or her acting, but I got no Ripley-esque vibes from her.

That was my point.

Its a new character in the Alien-universe.

Your sarcasm is lost on me. That doesn't even make sense because Hudson isn't important.

Importance of the characters role wasn't why I was joshing.

My point here was some were saying they want Ripley back because they like her character, and Weaver is still alive to play her. A lot of people like Hudson and Paxton is still alive. Hence josh.

Quote from: Aquarius8 on Feb 27, 2015, 01:39:12 PM
They are doing a passing of the torch with the new Star Wars movie having Luke, Han and Leia bring in the new characters.  Maybe have a new character in Alien 5 introduced that will move the franchise forward Post-Ripley. 

Star Wars is a totally different breed of movie. But your last point is what I'm saying.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 04:48:04 AM
Quote from: Gash on Feb 27, 2015, 03:26:58 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 09:15:14 PM
Of course, we want the story finished but it is disgraceful how much Prometheus tried to advertise itself as an Alien movie when it wanted to be something completely different.

Jesus. The reason Scott had to do all the back peddling and start saying it was a 'sort of' prequel was exactly because of the expectations of fan boys wanting aliens all over the place. Not all prequels have to take the 'Darth Vader built C3PO route.

Prometheus 2 is said to venture even further away from Engineers and Aliens, if this is true then why even bother to introduce them in the first film (if not for a cheap marketing gimmick) if they're not even going to make an appearance in any of the sequels?  Hell, I could make a Star Wars film featuring Barbie, her magical unicorn, and only a picture of Luke Skywalker in it, but that doesn't make it a film worthy of being in the same universe.

thanks predxeno

thats what i have been saying right from the start.

well said

could never understand if they want to go and study the engineer civilisation then do it why mess around with the goo anyway ??

Aquarius8

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 27, 2015, 11:51:35 AM
I guess the uproar from Alien 3 and Alien:R fans worked.  I just saw Niel's statement.  But it still makes no sense.  How can you pick up from "Aliens" and have Ripley and Hicks alive without changing what happen in 3 and Resurrection?  I'm confused by his statement.  Unless it takes place After "Alien: R" and Ripley 8 is still a Clone and Hicks is a Clone or Andriod they used his DNA to recreate him.

By simply ignoring A3 & A:R and not turning it into a dream or otherwise interfering with it.

Those movies will remain as they are for those who prefer them over the new Aliens sequel.

So Neil is saying, "You guys keep your Alien 3 and 4 and I'm going to make the real Aliens sequel everyone wanted"?

DoomRulz

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 01:42:49 PM

That was my point.

And she's a boring character, too. Why would I want to root for her, exactly?

Importance of the characters role wasn't why I was joshing.

My point here was some were saying they want Ripley back because they like her character, and Weaver is still alive to play her. A lot of people like Hudson and Paxton is still alive. Hence josh.

Ripley matters to the Alienverse. Hudson doesn't. But if we're talking about the actors, Ripley is the cornerstone and Weaver plays her best. Hudson is a throwaway meathead who could be be played by anyone.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2015, 02:10:53 PM

That was my point.

I strongly believe David should have been the protagonist (Far more interesting, and ironically easy to relate to because all the people around him are so extreme.) Hopefully they can make her more interesting for the sequel as Ridley seems intent on following her.

Valaquen

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2015, 02:10:53 PM

That was my point.

Shaw annoyed me so much. I was hoping she'd get crushed at some point. Completely unlikeable, even smug and self-satisfied for a time. I wouldn't mind if Prometheus 2 opened up with her dying in cryosleep.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed