Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,353 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:47:55 AM
Nah, SpreadEagleBeagle, I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't demand so much for one series if you are just as unwilling to grant what you want to another.  Fair's fair, right?

Sorry but you don't make any sense.

Alien³

I think Predxeno is making this point.

If someone wants AVP canon with the alien series, or all the films as one/alternate timelines, then so be it.

predxeno

predxeno

Long story short, why should the movie producers take special care about what Alien movie fans think should be canon if those same fans don't want them to care about what AVP movie fans think should be canon?  The concept of continuity for the Alien and AVP films are the same, if the movie producers think they can toss one out the window then it won't be long before they do the same to the other; by advocating the removal of one set of films, a door is opened for movie producers to do the same to more movies.  I know you view the Alien and AVP films as being in different worlds but no one in the movie business does that, they see it as one and the same, and if it already happened once...

Born Of Cold Light

Honestly, I think all movies should be canon in order to preserve the integrity of the series.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:55:08 AM
Long story short, why should the movie producers take special care about what Alien movie fans think should be canon if those same fans don't want them to care about what AVP movie fans think should be canon?  The concept of continuity for the Alien and AVP films are the same, if the movie producers think they can toss one out the window then it won't be long before they do the same to the other.

Are you still saying that this is all one unified universe despite this film possibly, and I mean possibly being set in an alternate or separate timeline where the Prometheus movies also happened in?

Alien³

Alien³

2 cents:

I think a lot of fans who like or love A3 have worked so hard at presenting evidence as to why they think its a pretty darn good movie and see this a blow to the direction of the series.

I'm in that boat.

Because I think having Ripley is just a boring move when theres a whole universe to explore in Alien especially now Ripley's story has ended, whether you like the end or not.

I'm excited at the prospect of this new film, and I hope its amazing, but I'm dubious of the idea of having a marathon of the movies and suddenly getting to a "choose an ending, fork in the road". And yes that would still happen if all the films are meant to be canon.

However, it is only a movie in the end. So nothing to lose sleep over.

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 27, 2015, 02:57:41 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 02:55:08 AM
Long story short, why should the movie producers take special care about what Alien movie fans think should be canon if those same fans don't want them to care about what AVP movie fans think should be canon?  The concept of continuity for the Alien and AVP films are the same, if the movie producers think they can toss one out the window then it won't be long before they do the same to the other.

Are you still saying that this is all one unified universe despite this film possibly, and I mean possibly being set in an alternate or separate timeline where the Prometheus movies also happened in?

No, I'm just saying that movie producers have acknowledged that fans don't want the AVP films as canon and now they have decided to take the idea one step further and decided to why not remove Alien 3 and A:R from canon.  To them continuity between these franchises is the same, there is no difference between Alien and AVP; to them, if they can retcon the AVP films then it means they can likewise retcon the Alien films.

marrerom

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 27, 2015, 02:57:18 AM
Honestly, I think all movies should be canon in order to preserve the integrity of the series.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/326928a523ed061c1f7df6f4d249ed6c/tumblr_n0moiiuf6C1qaa8d1o3_500.gif

I feel the same way. The movies are canon. All of them, even the godawful AvP films.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 27, 2015, 02:59:06 AM
I'm excited at the prospect of this new film but are dubious of the idea of having a marathon of the movies and suddenly getting to a "choose an ending fork in the road". And yes that would still happen if all the films are meant to be canon.

Wiser words were never spoken.

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 03:00:19 AM
No, I'm just saying that movie producers have acknowledged that fans don't want the AVP films as canon and now they have decided to take the idea one step further and decided to why not remove Alien 3 and A:R from canon.  To them continuity between these franchises is the same, there is no difference between Alien and AVP; to them, if they can retcon the AVP films then it means they can likewise retcon the Alien films.

The only way for Alien 3 and Resurrection to be retconned, and I mean truly retconned is if they were addressed in the movie and were made to be a hyperspace nightmare. That is a route I do not want to see the franchise go in. To me, retconning means addressing an error, re-writing it to better fit the existing material. Ignoring and disregarding is not the same thing as retconning.

Adam802

Adam802

Alien fans have always had different opinions on what they consider their own "personal canon".  Its always been this way since a sequel to ALIEN came out in 1986.  Its no different now.  I personally dont consider the ALIEN franchise and AVP franchise in the same universe.  AVP is a separate universe to me, and as a fan that makes the ALIEN films more pure and enjoyable for me imo bc in 1979, noone working on ALIEN considered other species like the Predator to exist.

But thats just me.  Others will have different views, and that perfectly OK.  Thats how ALIEN/Predator/AVP canon kinda works for hardcore fans like us. 

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 27, 2015, 03:03:43 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 03:00:19 AM

The only way for Alien 3 and Resurrection to be retconned, and I mean truly retconned is if they were addressed in the movie and were made to be a hyperspace nightmare. That is a route I do not want to see the franchise go in. To me, retconning means addressing an error, re-writing it to better fit the existing material. Ignoring and disregarding is not the same thing as retconning.

Ah ok, I guess we had a difference of definition over the word "retcon".

Samhain13

Damm this movie haven't even started being filmed and I already don't consider it canon.  :D :D
Better luck with Prometheus 2 I hope.

OpenMaw

... and uh, when it comes out and it's one of the best films the series has seen in years, will your opinion change then? Because I can see being upset or confused about a potential retcon, but judging the film itself based on that is silly.

Adam802

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 27, 2015, 03:06:11 AM
Damm this movie haven't even started being filmed and I already don't consider it canon.  :D :D
Better luck with Prometheus 2 I hope.

And I dont consider the Prometheus saga canon.  Everyone has different opinions. 

Local Trouble

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 27, 2015, 02:57:18 AM

The series hasn't had much integrity since Alien 3's production.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed