Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 293,987 times)

predxeno

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 10:00:56 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 26, 2015, 09:53:47 PMAs for the X-Men films, THERE ARE explanation for those plotholes, you only have to make a little of research.

:laugh: Why the hell should I have to? The film should bother to explain it. Not doing that is insulting to the audience, like they're expecting us not to ask questions.

I agree with this, a true writer writes a story seamlessly; lesser creators make stories filled with plot holes then rely on fans to do their job for them. :(

Adam802

Here are the options:

Option 1:
Take place after the 4 alien movies.  Sequel to Resurrection.  Bad idea in my opinion as I believe that Ripley 8 is a bad character and the story is in a bad spot at that moment.

Option 2:
Retcon Alien 3 and A:R out of existence.  They never happened.  Kinda harsh imo as A3 at least has its moments and has been considered canon for the last 22 years. 

Option 3:
Take place after Alien 3 with new characters.  Ripley is gone and dead.  Could potentially work imo, however Sigourney is going to most certainly be involved so this is unlikely, especially considering Sigourney and Blomkamp's recent comments in interviews. 

Option 4:
Alternate timeline/canon.  Takes place after AL()ENS in place of Alien 3/A:R.  A3/A:R arent retconned "out of existance", they are just ignored for the sake of this new story's different take on the direction of the franchise.  imo, this is the best option that has the greatest potential and will anger the least amount of fans.

What do you guys think?...

Magegg

A good director/writer knows when there's a need for explain something and when is not.

Ignoring stuff might serve for a purpose; for example, the less they talk about X-Men: The Last Stand, specially Xavier's death, the better, since people didn't like or cared much about that movie. Those themes were only ignored or left in the background.

Singer didn't have to explain much on that for their movie to work and it was still much loved. There's no need for over-explaining everything to death. The only true need for the movie is to be enjoyable and good by its own, everything else is secondary.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 10:08:11 PM
Option 4:
Alternate timeline/canon.  Takes place after AL()ENS in place of Alien 3/A:R.  A3/A:R arent retconned "out of existance, they are just ignored for the sake of this new story's different take on the direction of the franchise.  imo, this is the best option that has the greatest potential and will anger the least amount of fans.

[Relentlessly hits the button for Option Four]

This! Strongly this!!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 26, 2015, 10:09:06 PMA good director/writer knows when there's a need for explain something and when is not.

There's literally no excuse for not bothering to explain why a main character who died is suddenly resurrected.

Alien³

Alien³

Option 5:
Take place after Alien with new characters and setting.

This.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 10:10:22 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 26, 2015, 10:09:06 PMA good director/writer knows when there's a need for explain something and when is not.

There's literally no excuse for not bothering to explain why a main character who died is suddenly resurrected.

^As an impartial observer, I have to say it's REALLY hard to argue with this logic.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 09:40:45 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 26, 2015, 09:37:33 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 09:33:50 PM
very interesting, I like that Sigourney pretty much says that she didnt like the way the movies went by the end.  And I think Blomkamp is pretty much saying that he doesnt want to officially retcon A3/AR, just ignore them and make the movie he want for HIS vision, which I fully support.

So this is like PREDATORS again, where it ignored Predator to AvP-R and was more or less a direct sequel to the original Predator.

More and more, this is sounding like what Godzilla 1985 did... Serve as a sequel to the original 1954 movie, and ignore the rest. Meaning we COULD be looking at different timelines. Guys... Are we looking at different timelines now?

I think you might just get the "different timeline" confirmation youve been hoping for :)  Which I would also like and be  perfectly fine with.

Hmmm, I could live with 2 different timelines.  It's a good compromise between both different camps of fanboys.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2015, 10:12:43 PMHmmm, I could live with 2 different timelines.  It's a good compromise between both different camps of fanboys.

But how is that any different from just scrapping the third and fourth films? It's not like they're ever going to do more sequels to the original movies, because that would just be confusing as hell for the general public.

So it's just retcon with a different label.

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 10:14:30 PM

Yeah, as i've tried to say in a couple other places, only the fans are really going to care about "Timeline A" "Timeline B" or whatever. The general audience doesn't care about that. They care that they are entertained by the movie.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 26, 2015, 10:11:14 PM
Option 5:

This.

You want to retcon Aliens?  Was it too good?

Adam802

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 26, 2015, 10:11:14 PM
Option 5:

This.

Would be very interesting, but probably not gonna happen since Ripley IS going to be in it, and Blomkamp said he wants it to acknowledge Alien and Aliens.

Obviously, there are many other options than just the 4 I typed, but many other options are just unlikely, so I didnt bother typing them ALL up.  You could probably think up dozens of potential options.

predxeno

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2015, 10:12:43 PMHmmm, I could live with 2 different timelines.  It's a good compromise between both different camps of fanboys.

But how is that any different from just scrapping the third and fourth films? It's not like they're ever going to do more sequels to the original movies, because that would just be confusing as hell for the general public.

Meh, fans have been pulling this since the AVP films came out, and Fox actually listens to them.  If they get to officially decanonize the films they want, then I should at least get a chance to decanonize the ones I want out, at least that's my reasoning. :-\

RakaiThwei

I don't see how having two alternate timelines would devalue the franchise and confuse people. Sure it would be confusing to the general public and newer fans but that's the duty of older fans to educate them to.

Perfect-Organism

These are all good points.  Option 4 is a good idea but it would potentially confuse the crap out of the casual observer, unless we get the marketing machine going.

Recap:

Option 4:
Alternate timeline/canon.  Takes place after AL()ENS in place of Alien 3/A:R.  A3/A:R arent retconned "out of existance", they are just ignored for the sake of this new story's different take on the direction of the franchise.  imo, this is the best option that has the greatest potential and will anger the least amount of fans.

I suggested in another post that we could have an Alien timeline and AVP timeline.  It makes sense because Charles Bishop Weyland from AVP was clearly derived from Bishop II in Alien 3.  In terms of marketing what you could do is tie up the AVP story post Alien Resurrection much like is intended in the upcoming AVP Rage War series.  So ultimately you will get the following boxed sets:

AVP Boxed set:

-Predator
-Predator 2
-Predators
(-Predator 4)
-AVP
-AVP R
-Alien
-Aliens
-Alien 3
-Alien Resurrection
-AVP Rage War 1
-AVP Rage War 2

Alien Boxed set:

Prometheus
Prometheus 2
Alien
Aliens
Alien 5
Alien vs. Prometheus
Paradise

You could literally relabel the movies like they did with Star Wars.  Remember Star Wars became Episode IV: A New Hope?  That could work.  Nobody would be confused if the sets were sold with consistent graphics.  It would certainly be unique and very creative.  Hmm...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed