Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,222 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2015, 07:42:10 PM
What would Fincher care? He couldn't disown that piece of garbage quickly enough...

Nice twisting & turning. FOX made his life a living hell. The movie itself is excellent and beyond any expectations, especially  considering the circumstances. Blows ALIENS out of the water. Unfortunately the Cameron touch tainted the franchise so badly that anything that isn't ALIENS 2 is considered "garbage" that has to be retconned no matter what.

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

So the new timeline will be:

Prometheus---------ProII-----------Alien -------------- Aliens ----------------------------Alien 5 (Time will likely be years after Aliens)

Alien 3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Alien: R (alternate timeline)

I think Ripley's death is what the issue is.  By her dying in 3, it left not many places to go for 4.  So they went the clone route.  It seems by starting after II.  You have Ripley in Cryo-Sleep.  But where's Newt?  I mean this could cause a lot of issues with the story cause everyone's older.

predxeno

I wonder if Predator will be canon in the new timeline. ???

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Aquarius8 on Feb 26, 2015, 08:19:30 PMSo the new timeline will be:

Again though, it really hasn't been confirmed the later films are being retconned.

It seems they're going that way, but no one's actually outright said so, and certainly not the studio.

Aquarius8

^^^^^

Oh, I thought it was confirmed today.  It's all over social media about it taking place after "Aliens". Plus if you look at Niel's concept art, he does have Hick's alive.  Again I liked Alien 3 though I know it has flaws. I was lukewarm on 4 but I liked 3, saw it when I was young. 

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Aquarius8 on Feb 26, 2015, 08:28:55 PMOh, I thought it was confirmed today.  It's all over social media about it taking place after "Aliens".

What Blomkamp said was definitely open to interpretation, yet everyone's seized upon it as meaning the later films are absolutely being retconned.

Personally, I'd rather wait until Fox have confirmed it before accepting it as fact.

predxeno

^This, but I have to admit, it is pretty hard for me to not get a little excited at the prospect of having Newt's death retconned away. :)

Rankles75

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 26, 2015, 08:18:15 PM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2015, 07:42:10 PM
What would Fincher care? He couldn't disown that piece of garbage quickly enough...

Nice twisting & turning. FOX made his life a living hell. The movie itself is excellent and beyond any expectations, especially  considering the circumstances. Blows ALIENS out of the water. Unfortunately the Cameron touch tainted the franchise so badly that anything that isn't ALIENS 2 is considered "garbage" that has to be retconned no matter what.

I get it, you don't like Aliens but let's be realistic here. Aliens is widely regarded as at least one of the best action movies ever made. Alien 3 was pilloried even before it's release because of all the production problems, then it was released and was panned by the majority of critics for a variety of reasons. Not Fincher's fault, it could have been far worse in the hands of a lesser director, but it was still a mess which derailed the series...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 08:22:32 PM
I wonder if Predator will be canon in the new timeline. ???

Personally? I hope not.. And this is coming from someone who likes Alien and Predator being in the same universe. So long as PREDATORS is not counted anyway...

Born Of Cold Light

Predators should stay.  It's really not that bad of a film and even if it were, cutting it out just feeds the retcon beast.

predxeno

^This, the entire nightmare started with the "retconning" of the AVP films.

Crazy Rich

After getting some thoughts together. I'm overall pretty disheartened that the next movie plans to treat Alien 3 and Resurrection like they never existed, and this is coming from someone who was saying that these movies will still exist for our enjoyment regardless of what they do with this new movie, and I said this when it wasn't even official yet.

I can kinda live with Resurrection being ignored, although it did have it's moments, if you look at the behind the scenes for the basketball scene you realize more how amazing that scene is. But Alien 3 is a movie that while it for sure has it's problems, it actually isn't that bad, the Assembly Cut in particular is a pretty darn good and enjoyable watch and the ending is so meaningful. Rather than give in and attempt to have the Queen removed for her own survival she sacrificed herself to save all of humanity from the nightmare and the horrors she endured for so long, and then you see the shot of the sun rising up again and seeing the darkness engulfing the planet surface being purged by the light of the sun. How can you get any more of a noble and powerful ending? I don't think Blomkamp can ever top that.

Looking at the concept art, some of it is okay, but then the other stuff, well, thinking that it'll end up in the movie is like a chalkboard scratching another chalkboard in my brain. Other than that I don't really know who this Blomkamp guy is, people keep saying he directed District 9, well I never saw that so you're not really telling me anything. Sigourney Weaver... I'll be honest and say I can't stay mad at her, her character Ellen Ripley is only just one of my most favourite movie heroines ever.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the new movie. I mean initially I was pretty damn hard on Alien Isolation when it was announced because I was still feeling the aftermath of Aliens: Colonial Marines which was not only one of the worst things ever but we were actually tricked by false advertisement. But as it turns out Alien Isolation is the greatest thing since Alien and Aliens and it's been swimming in awards and praise, and it's an installment I'll always treasure.

So maybe I should just wait and see how things actually develop for this new Alien movie, maybe I might come around if I hear things I like, and of course movies like Alien 3 will still exist for our enjoyment regardless of what they do with the new film... but for now I'm still cynical about it and this Alien 3 clip is more than fitting to how I generally feel about Blomkamp's official Alien movie announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du4IoVgOJdU#ws

P.S - I never mentioned Prometheus because even though others on the internet have mentioned it... why are people even worried about it? I'm sure if Ridley Scott wants to do Prometheus 2 it's going to happen, I mean, they don't really conflict with each other, one is a continuity of the main alien storyline and the other is a continuity of a spin-off. I'm not seeing the issue here.

Born Of Cold Light

I thought Prometheus 2/Paradise was a done deal.

Adam802

I dont care about Prometheus/Prometheus 2 AT ALL at this point.  Especially after an Alien 5 announcement. 

Prometheus had no desire itself to be an ALIEN movie, so why should I even consider it as such myself?

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 09:11:19 PM
I dont care about Prometheus/Prometheus 2 AT ALL at this point.  Especially after an Alien 5 announcement. 

Prometheus had no desire itself to be an ALIEN movie, so why should I even consider it as such myself?

Don't you want the story to be finished?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed