Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,071 times)

Alien³

The character of Ripley has been milked way too much.

Ripley 8, Alexa Woods, Kelly (from AVP:R), and to an extent Shaw.

Let's just have a new character.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2015, 03:27:20 PMIt strikes me that she just lacked the foresight of how much money she could stand to make if she didn't kill off the character.

Because doing things solely for the cash is such a great way to proceed.

DoomRulz

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 03:33:58 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2015, 03:27:20 PMIt strikes me that she just lacked the foresight of how much money she could stand to make if she didn't kill off the character.

She's only human. Still stupid decisions though in terms of the films.

Nightmare Asylum

Sigourney isn't exactly hurting for work. I really doubt cash alone is what got her involved with another Alien film. She clearly is genuinely intrigued by what Blomkamp has up his sleeve and liked working with him enough on Chappie to want to do it again.

Perfect-Organism

You're 100% right in this case Huda.  I honestly believe she did Alien 3 out of artistic integrity.  But I think she did it rather selfishly to aggrandize her own character at the expense of the other characters and moreover the Alien franchise.  She just didn't get the appeal of the Alien series.  I don't think she has a sci-fi bone in her body and her artistic integrity while laudable was misguided.  She is misguided now too in that I think its about the money for her, and she still sees this as a way to finish "her story".  She misses the big picture.  She should never have become the producer in this series.  For Pete's sake she's just an actor.  She walked into her role as Ripley completely randomly in 1979.  The story should be driven by someone with true Sci-Fi vision, or someone who understands where the film naturally should go.

Fortunately, I think Blomkamp is not misguided.  He is an honest fan and he understands where the series should have gone.  I believe that despite Weaver's motivations, if she let's Blomkamp take the reigns we stand a good chance of getting the great film that we should have had in 92 and this will reinvigorate the series.  But there is the possibility that it will not be done well anyway.  It's so easy to drop the ball on this one.  The bar was set so high by James Cameron.

Magegg

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 26, 2015, 03:30:29 PMThe character of Ripley has been milked way too much.
4 movie appearances in 20 years? Is that considered "milking"?

Ripley's the only unanimously praised protagonist from the whole franchise and spin-offs, the others got a 'meh' reaction pretty much. She's the one that began everything, I see nothing wrong in bringing her back.

Corporal Hicks

I think it's more about all the other characters being based off of her.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2015, 03:47:26 PMBut I think she did it rather selfishly to aggrandize her own character at the expense of the other characters and moreover the Alien franchise.

You've said this before, and I told you then - the other characters' fates had nothing to do with Weaver. It was the writers who killed them off, and it happened before Weaver even agreed to appear in a third film

xeno-kaname

So Ripley 8 not returning is now confirmed.

That was my guess from everything that Blomkamp and Weaver said.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2015, 03:47:26 PM

You're 100% right in this case Huda.  I honestly believe she did Alien 3 out of artistic integrity.  But I think she did it rather selfishly to aggrandize her own character at the expense of the other characters and moreover the Alien franchise.  She just didn't get the appeal of the Alien series.  I don't think she has a sci-fi bone in her body and her artistic integrity while laudable was misguided.  She is misguided now too in that I think its about the money for her, and she still sees this as a way to finish "her story".  She misses the big picture.  She should never have become the producer in this series.  For Pete's sake she's just an actor.  She walked into her role as Ripley completely randomly in 1979.  The story should be driven by someone with true Sci-Fi vision, or someone who understands where the film naturally should go.

Hardly. She did Ghostbusters not long after Alien and returned for that sequel so her not "having a sci-fi bone in her body" sounds like a load of tosh.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 04:23:43 PM

Hardly. She did Ghostbusters not long after Alien and returned for that sequel so her not "having a sci-fi bone in her body" sounds like a load of tosh.

I think it is more a case of her being type-cast at that point than her being an actual fan...

xeno-kaname

Yeah and she did Avatar and now Chappie.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 26, 2015, 04:30:39 PM

Yeah and she did Avatar and now Chappie.

Type-cast

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 26, 2015, 04:34:09 PMType-cast

Eyewitness? Half Moon Street? Gorillas in the Mist? Working Girl? Copycat? Exodus? She's done a ton of non-sci-fi movies.

DoomRulz

She wasn't typecast in Avatar or Chappie. She wasn't playing a saviour; the last hope.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed