Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,516 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 25, 2015, 08:27:13 PM
RETCON BABY!!!  FULL RETCON!!!  YEAH MAMA!  That's what I'm talkin' about.  Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...

You know, that's not exactly fair to those of us who liked Alien 3 by either seeing the Assembly Cut or the Workprint, and perhaps view the movie as an under-appreciated masterpiece. I swear, Alien 3 gets a lot of undeserved hate.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 25, 2015, 08:25:44 PM
Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 25, 2015, 08:24:12 PM
The whole dream speculation thing was born from fans -- filmmakers would never be that deep in a retcon. They'll just ignore them.

Like how H20 ignored Halloween IV to VI?

Exactly!  And you still get to have all of these Halloween movies in the same boxed set!  Isn't that awesome?  We live in a really cool age.  We get to see our favorite stories on film and we also get to see some really awesome alternate universe stories as well.. ON FILM.  So cool!!

Russ

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 25, 2015, 08:30:11 PM
-- he'd never do some silly shit like that. Period.

That remains to be seen - though, there are questions to be asked (genetic sibling!)

RakaiThwei

What's this about a genetic sibling?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I sincerely doubt he'd bother, really. It could be an inside joke, maybe, but nothing beyond that.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 25, 2015, 08:30:44 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 25, 2015, 08:27:13 PM
RETCON BABY!!!  FULL RETCON!!!  YEAH MAMA!  That's what I'm talkin' about.  Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...

You know, that's not exactly fair to those of us who liked Alien 3 by either seeing the Assembly Cut or the Workprint, and perhaps view the movie as an under-appreciated masterpiece. I swear, Alien 3 gets a lot of undeserved hate.

Alien 3 is a masterpiece!  I always underscore this.  It's just a masterpiece as a stand alone movie, not in the context of what went before.  Believe me, I will still watch Alien 3 lots of times.  But it has to go from the canon so we can have that continuation of Aliens countless fans have been wanting for 30 years.  It's time to uncork the Champagne!  One express elevator to retcon!  Goin' down!  WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

GQSioux

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 25, 2015, 08:25:44 PM
Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 25, 2015, 08:24:12 PM
The whole dream speculation thing was born from fans -- filmmakers would never be that deep in a retcon. They'll just ignore them.

Like how H20 ignored Halloween IV to VI?

The early drafts of the H20 script featured scenes that acknowledged the events of 4-6. The original title was Halloween: The Revenge of Laurie Strode, but Jamie Lee Curtis later demanded they remove all references to 4-6.  Moustapha Akkad, before he died, mentioned a script that would tie all the films together and hinted that Jamie (Danielle Harris) might've been Josh Hartnett's twin sister. Sadly, that script never saw the light of day due to his untimely death. I would've LOVED to see that happen. Sadly, we got Rob Zombie's reboot instead.

Russ

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 25, 2015, 08:32:57 PM
What's this about a genetic sibling?

He said in the interview about it being a "genetic sibling" to Aliens.

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 25, 2015, 08:33:47 PM
I sincerely doubt he'd bother, really. It could be an inside joke, maybe, but nothing beyond that.

I sincerely doubt they'll Superman Returns it, but all we have are opinions at the moment, man. Agree to disagree?

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 25, 2015, 07:49:48 PM
Neill and Siggy spill all the beans!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th8os-IfZhg#ws

This is what I call a perfect timming!

*well, not really...

GQSioux

Damn, it sounds like Alien 3 and Resurrection will be ignored based on this interview. If it's going to happen, there's really nothing we can do. I know a lot of you, myself included, wanted a direct sequel to Alien: Resurrection, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I wish they could find a way to make the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection tied in. There are 3 possible retcons and they chose the worst option. The three are:

1) Flat out ignoring Alien 3 and Resurrection (which they seemingly chose).
2) Make Alien 3 - Resurrection a hypersleep dream.
3) Pull a Days of Future Past thing so Alien 3 isn't entirely pointless and just start fresh after Aliens.

Tough little S.O.B.

I don't want a direct sequel to A:R( even tho I hate that movie), but I also don't want a direct sequel to ALIENS (even tho I love that movie). So, I truly don't know what I want. :P

Adam802

The thing with ALIEN canon is, that a lot of fans of this franchise seem to create in their own minds what THEY consider canon.  Some (like myself) dont consider Resurrection canon.  Others dont like to consider Alien 3 canon, and some dont consider anything after the original Alien canon. 

So I dont see why this movie cant just ignore A3/A:R and make a different story after ALIENS that goes in a new (and potentially better) direction.  The canon can sort of "split" into 2 separate versions after ALIENS.  1 being the A3 direction, the other being this new movie.  No time travel BS, or even a "retcon", just an ALTERNATE version.

T Dog

Ok......definitely sounds like they are doing a retcon, there I said it.

RakaiThwei

And the timeline is even further broken assuming this is a retcon! Ha ha ha!

Seriously, I wonder how the folks at Xenopedia are gonna handle that... I might join up on that site to discuss the timeline page.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Maybe this is why SM has thrown in the towel?

Unless he is indeed acting as an executive consultant on this new Alien film according to certain unsubstantiated rumours from questionable sources.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed