Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,064 times)

Master

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 24, 2015, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 24, 2015, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 24, 2015, 04:47:20 PMThe continuation of ALIENS is what everyone really truly wanted.

Alien 3 was a continuation of Aliens.

Unless you mean an Aliens clone. And that's something I definitely didn't want.

Not an Aliens clone, but a different direction of the story after Aliens, that's not Alien 3.

Ever played Alien 3 The Gun? I think you`d love it.

Mike

Mike

Take place after AR? No but it should take place after Aliens. Retcon the sequels, and just build an awsome storyline from Aliens. Make a worthy follow up to Aliens as a continuation. A3 and Ar are only getting in the way of making a great sequel because of were it took the storyline. I liked both films but I say if you want this script to really work it's going to have to just refer to Alien and Aliens only. We need original Ripley not cloned Ripley. And Hicks. The 2 main characters it should have. I mean after seeing that concept art of the 2 just was awsome. Doesn't have to be called Alien 5. Shouldn't be called Alien 3 either has it will confuse fans of the previous Alien3. Call it Alien and a subtitle. I truly think this is the right way to go. Continue off we're the track record was still perfect. (Alien, Aliens).  Also by not referencing the other films plots makes it a bit easier to write a new refreshing script. You don't have to worry about anything but what was seen in Alien and Aliens.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Mike on Feb 24, 2015, 07:18:12 PM
Take place after AR? No but it should take place after Aliens. Retcon the sequels, and just build an awsome storyline from Aliens. Make a worthy follow up to Aliens as a continuation. A3 and Ar are only getting in the way of making a great sequel because of were it took the storyline. I liked both films but I say if you want this script to really work it's going to have to just refer to Alien and Aliens only. We need original Ripley not cloned Ripley. And Hicks. The 2 main characters it should have. I mean after seeing that concept art of the 2 just was awsome. Doesn't have to be called Alien 5. Shouldn't be called Alien 3 either has it will confuse fans of the previous Alien3. Call it Alien and a subtitle. I truly think this is the right way to go. Continue off we're the track record was still perfect. (Alien, Aliens).  Also by not referencing the other films plots makes it a bit easier to write a new refreshing script. You don't have to worry about anything but what was seen in Alien and Aliens.

This is so right.  Everything.  Preach on Brother Mike.

Adam802

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 24, 2015, 07:36:52 PM
Quote from: Mike on Feb 24, 2015, 07:18:12 PM

This is so right.  Everything.  Preach on Brother Mike.

Exactly, I agree. 

Master

Guys, thats bullshit. It won`t happen either. Most probably it will have entire new cast. Sequel to A:R is less probable but possible. But dream sequences and Aliens sequel is a fanboy`s wet dream.

Adam802

Quote from: Master on Feb 24, 2015, 08:06:58 PM
Guys, thats bullshit. It won`t happen either. Most probably it will have entire new cast. Sequel to A:R is less probable but possible. But dream sequences and Aliens sequel is a fanboy`s wet dream.

I would also accept a movie set shortly after alien 3 with new characters, as long as its well-written of course.   No A:R sequel though, please.

Its Auto

Its Auto

You know, I'm reading stuff here about the egg on the Sulaco (again), and the mention of 'emergency facehugger on queen' as there is "no other choice" ~ ya know, I'm just gonna copy and paste my post here from 5 days ago... while granted, the pitch was meant slightly tongue-in-cheek... I do see a 'missing story' the easiest way to put things right; it'd give us a sequel to Aliens, correct continuity errors, and wouldn't retcon Alien 3 (for those of us who love it!)

Original post for anyone who missed it;

Right here, right now, this director has the opportunity to set the franchise canon straight. I am excited, but I already have a gut feeling that it is going to be a missed opportunity. Here's my thought; How about we have a new 'Aliens' sequel while NOT retconning 'Alien 3', but instead, correcting the continuity errors?

Hear me out; This movie could take place AFTER 'Aliens', where Ripley, Newt and Hicks made it home safe.

*Insert awesome story right here, which includes aesthetics and technology which match that seen in Aliens (in the same way Isolation mimics the aesthetics of Alien), includes a soundtrack which matches the horror of the first movie, with the action and adrenaline of the second, a story where the characters are presented with an ordeal so pressing that Riply and Hicks cannot ignore, leaving Newt safely at Gateway (as responsible parents would), as they steal the Sulaco, along with the deactivated carcass of Bishop (as the only proof of what has happened) with a group of others and head on into the story. But hold onto your butts, after a rollercoaster ride of horror and shocking revelations, Wey-Yu shows up with Newt as leverage to stop Ripley on what she is about to do *insert further awesome story here* and it all ends with Ripley, Newt, a badly beaten up Hicks, and the deactivated Bishop that hasnt been part of the story but was left on the ship, all asleep in the CIVILIAN Cryo-bay (ya know, where they would have transported all those LV-426 colonists they were gonna rescue in the second movie - to account for difference in cryo-tubes) as the camera pans to a pulsating superhugger egg, which got there in perfectly plausible means thanks to an earlier scene in the movie XD

The end.

Now I'm not saying roll with that poor pitch by any means, but inserting a 'missing story' potentially could restore balance to the canon while pleasing everyone - and would be more creative than 'it was a dream'. :)

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Master on Feb 24, 2015, 05:56:57 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 24, 2015, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 24, 2015, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 24, 2015, 04:47:20 PMThe continuation of ALIENS is what everyone really truly wanted.

Alien 3 was a continuation of Aliens.

Unless you mean an Aliens clone. And that's something I definitely didn't want.

Not an Aliens clone, but a different direction of the story after Aliens, that's not Alien 3.

Ever played Alien 3 The Gun? I think you`d love it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coin-Operated-Aliens-3-Video-Game-/171693035681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9b3d0a1

:D

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 24, 2015, 04:21:54 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 24, 2015, 04:16:27 PM
Quote from: Russ on Feb 24, 2015, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2015, 12:12:49 PM
If only we could handwave all the people who think "It was all a dream!" is anything other than the laziest get-out-of-jail free card out of here too...

But not as lazy as ad hominem side-swipes.  ::)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 24, 2015, 12:25:16 PM
Yup. It'd be ridiculous, and incredibly convoluted, if they went that route.

If you're going to retcon, retcon. Do it with a little dignity though. Don't try to please everybody and then slap them in the face by saying it was all a dream.

I'm all for that. How? I'd be all for a really elegant solution that isn't Ripley's Indigestion - but I really can't think of one. I really liked that "The Evil Pred" idea that did have Ripley's Indigestion, only it was induced by Wey-Yu, running different scenarios - it was more thought out than that, but that's the gist of it.

Is it any less of a slap in the face to say "nah, don't worry, didn't happen." I genuinely think that that would confuse the vast majority (I don't have analytics to back that up of course, so conjecture), but for me, if (the huge IF) this is a retcon, they have to explain it somehow.

I can't think of a better way and in reading threads and threads and threads and threads, no one else on here can either. Or if they have, I've missed it - but I'm all ears (or more accurately - eyes), I would love there to be a consistent, logical and smarter way of explaining it.

I can see them doing a 'Returns... but for me that doesn't fit with this universe at all. But that's only my opinion ... maybe they will!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 24, 2015, 12:25:37 PM
Which is why I say it's the placement that's the issue. If they'd have made it clear that it was in the dropship somewhere instead...or not stuck upside down. Or that a face-hugger had hitched a ride on the Queen from the Hive and omitted the egg completely. The sound of the face-hugger crawling is even in the credits of Aliens.

It's really not that much of a stretch. And it'd be nice if that sequence was reworked in any future Assembly Cuts.

No it's not a stretch at all, and I wish they had done that with the last Assembly Cut to be honest. It would have been really easy for them to do so. But they didn't - so all we have to go on is what we assume to be the case (which is entirely reasonable), but if we're going on "facts" such as they are, it doesn't stand up. Which was sort of my point to HuDa - if the Indigestion scenario is bad, it's no worse than the magic faceugger in a film that some are defending and want to keep as canon over and above a retcon.

I often read "for all its faults" about Alien3 - for me, this was the biggest one of all, the whole film hinges on something the audience has to assume has happened. Well, that and the other stuff I've been ranting on about, but all that hinges on the facehugger. No facehugger, no accident. No Alien3 for that matter! (Thinking about it, they REALLY should have done something with an Aliens cut to explain it!).

As I keep saying, it's conceivable. Entirely. As far back at Alien the notion of recording dreams or viewing dreams has been mentioned. It's just cheap. It's poor story writing. It is the worse trope of writing.

It may well be, but we agree it's conceivable and it fits. It's by far the neatest solution (if, if, if etc). A few cuts, some digital youthening (what should that word be? Making them look younger...?) in the cryo tube... bang. Its done.

I've said all along - its not ideal, but its logical and I feel better than adopting the 'Returns approach.
I completely agree.

I wasn't too sure if and how I wanted A3 and A|R retconned, but I do think the dream manipulation is the best course. Cheap? Lazy? Maybe. It's far better than just ignoring the movies. They deserve to at LEAST exist in Ripley's imagination.

What comes to mind are stasis pods similar to the ones in Prometheus. Two at each side, with an android each working on them. In one pod you see the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection unfolding, Ripley's worst nightmares. Losing Hicks and Newt. Carrying an alien in her. A queen no less. Actually BECOMING part Alien in a cloning expirement. Her sorrow over losing both a biological and surrogate daughter summons a third "child" that is an even more grotesque human/alien hybrid than herself. Yet she has to lose this one as well, by her hands.

In the other pod, you see the events of Colonial Marines unfolding. Hicks' nightmare. (And all of ours as well :P) Still bound to Acheron. Prisoner of the company. Still fighting the xenos. With even more menacing variations. And although his outlook is more positive in that he escapes in the end, he never finds Ripley or Newt again.

The company for some reason trying to influence different outcomes and decisions during these subconscious invasions.

Yeah. It sounds pretty cheesy at times. But I could swallow this. For the sake of a good story. If the story sucks, well then it would just pile on and make it all that much worse. But for now I believe Blomkamp has something great in mind that would be worth the risk.

People accepting that dream crap makes me understand why movies are so dumb nowadays...
It's better than just ignoring it. That's even dumber. The end justifies the means, IMO.

Gilfryd

I'll know how I feel about this after Chappie. Blomkamp comes up with a lot of cool ideas and designs but Elysium was a big drop after District 9 (which I wasn't crazy about either, but at least it had a level of satisfaction to it). The worst it can be is Cameron/ Aliens fan-wank because we all know Blomkamp likes his guns and mecha - they'll just be grimy and covered in trashy graffiti.

Nightmare Asylum

I wouldn't really use Chappie to gauge what this film will be like. Imma just sit back next week, watch Chappie, and let the insanity take over. 8)

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 25, 2015, 02:04:50 AM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 24, 2015, 04:21:54 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 24, 2015, 04:16:27 PM
Quote from: Russ on Feb 24, 2015, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2015, 12:12:49 PM
If only we could handwave all the people who think "It was all a dream!" is anything other than the laziest get-out-of-jail free card out of here too...

But not as lazy as ad hominem side-swipes.  ::)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 24, 2015, 12:25:16 PM
Yup. It'd be ridiculous, and incredibly convoluted, if they went that route.

If you're going to retcon, retcon. Do it with a little dignity though. Don't try to please everybody and then slap them in the face by saying it was all a dream.

I'm all for that. How? I'd be all for a really elegant solution that isn't Ripley's Indigestion - but I really can't think of one. I really liked that "The Evil Pred" idea that did have Ripley's Indigestion, only it was induced by Wey-Yu, running different scenarios - it was more thought out than that, but that's the gist of it.

Is it any less of a slap in the face to say "nah, don't worry, didn't happen." I genuinely think that that would confuse the vast majority (I don't have analytics to back that up of course, so conjecture), but for me, if (the huge IF) this is a retcon, they have to explain it somehow.

I can't think of a better way and in reading threads and threads and threads and threads, no one else on here can either. Or if they have, I've missed it - but I'm all ears (or more accurately - eyes), I would love there to be a consistent, logical and smarter way of explaining it.

I can see them doing a 'Returns... but for me that doesn't fit with this universe at all. But that's only my opinion ... maybe they will!

Which is why I say it's the placement that's the issue. If they'd have made it clear that it was in the dropship somewhere instead...or not stuck upside down. Or that a face-hugger had hitched a ride on the Queen from the Hive and omitted the egg completely. The sound of the face-hugger crawling is even in the credits of Aliens.

It's really not that much of a stretch. And it'd be nice if that sequence was reworked in any future Assembly Cuts.

No it's not a stretch at all, and I wish they had done that with the last Assembly Cut to be honest. It would have been really easy for them to do so. But they didn't - so all we have to go on is what we assume to be the case (which is entirely reasonable), but if we're going on "facts" such as they are, it doesn't stand up. Which was sort of my point to HuDa - if the Indigestion scenario is bad, it's no worse than the magic faceugger in a film that some are defending and want to keep as canon over and above a retcon.

I often read "for all its faults" about Alien3 - for me, this was the biggest one of all, the whole film hinges on something the audience has to assume has happened. Well, that and the other stuff I've been ranting on about, but all that hinges on the facehugger. No facehugger, no accident. No Alien3 for that matter! (Thinking about it, they REALLY should have done something with an Aliens cut to explain it!).

As I keep saying, it's conceivable. Entirely. As far back at Alien the notion of recording dreams or viewing dreams has been mentioned. It's just cheap. It's poor story writing. It is the worse trope of writing.

It may well be, but we agree it's conceivable and it fits. It's by far the neatest solution (if, if, if etc). A few cuts, some digital youthening (what should that word be? Making them look younger...?) in the cryo tube... bang. Its done.

I've said all along - its not ideal, but its logical and I feel better than adopting the 'Returns approach.
I completely agree.

I wasn't too sure if and how I wanted A3 and A|R retconned, but I do think the dream manipulation is the best course. Cheap? Lazy? Maybe. It's far better than just ignoring the movies. They deserve to at LEAST exist in Ripley's imagination.

What comes to mind are stasis pods similar to the ones in Prometheus. Two at each side, with an android each working on them. In one pod you see the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection unfolding, Ripley's worst nightmares. Losing Hicks and Newt. Carrying an alien in her. A queen no less. Actually BECOMING part Alien in a cloning expirement. Her sorrow over losing both a biological and surrogate daughter summons a third "child" that is an even more grotesque human/alien hybrid than herself. Yet she has to lose this one as well, by her hands.

In the other pod, you see the events of Colonial Marines unfolding. Hicks' nightmare. (And all of ours as well :P) Still bound to Acheron. Prisoner of the company. Still fighting the xenos. With even more menacing variations. And although his outlook is more positive in that he escapes in the end, he never finds Ripley or Newt again.

The company for some reason trying to influence different outcomes and decisions during these subconscious invasions.

Yeah. It sounds pretty cheesy at times. But I could swallow this. For the sake of a good story. If the story sucks, well then it would just pile on and make it all that much worse. But for now I believe Blomkamp has something great in mind that would be worth the risk.

People accepting that dream crap makes me understand why movies are so dumb nowadays...
It's better than just ignoring it. That's even dumber. The end justifies the means, IMO.

But who said they are ignoring alien 3 and A:R?

Perfect-Organism

Nobody knows anything.  It's all conjecture.  People are just voicing their opinions about the possible retcon of Alien 3 and AR.  Some say retcon.  Some say no retcon.  Some say make Alien 3 and AR a bad dream.  It's a huge argument about nothing really.

I say:  I love the smell of retcon in the morning!

KiramidHead

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if Blomkamp used some retcon marines to get it done. ;)

Corporal Hicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI

That was just terrible Kiramid. Just terrible. xD

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed