Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,552 times)

Valaquen

"Sequel to the Alien franchise" is probably to make it clear that it's rooted in ALIEN, not the new offshoot, PROMETHEUS. It might not necessarily be Alien 5. But I imagine they're all hashing it out right now somewhere. It's going to be an interesting year.

Jaz

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 22, 2015, 03:34:57 PM
They're too old to potentially play older version of their characters? What's wrong with being old? I don't want Chris Pratt or his ilk (nothing against 'em) in this thing.

How would it work though? She dies in Alien 3 as does hicks. Or if you consider Colonial marines cannon then hicks is alive, but still, how would they explain ripley being alive and well? Slightly more weathered lol.

Better yet how do they explain it without completely selling out and just re-writing the timeline.

Im being a massive hipocrit here as i hope they do that to Aliens Res.

It really is a big pile of shit.

OpenMaw

Yeah, people who keep saying Biehn and Weaver are too old haven't been keeping up on their recent outings. Biehn may be up there in years but he's keeping pretty damn active and he's got the energy for it, and Weaver too is still very active and she looks great. They could both tackle it, and I think that would actually garner more weight to their performances.

Even without any particular context I can imagine the scene where their characters are reunited. Ripley, maybe in some kind of a semi delusional state, searching for Newt. She's moving through some kind of a lab, and she hears something rustle behind her. There's a moment of tense silence. Then you hear a familiar voice. "Ripley..." In that same tone as when Hicks asked for Ripley to help when they first found Newt. She turns and their gazes meet.

It could be very powerful from two points of view. The audience having loved those characters for decades, and thematically from within the story. You wouldn't even have to totally debunk A3 and A:R, as those experiences, even if they were reduced to cryogenic nightmares, would be playing Hell on Ripley's psyche.

whiterabbit

Oh without a doubt both Biehn and Weaver can pull it off. I have no idea where the too old for this crowd is coming from. Make up and roids do wonders.

Quote from: OpenMawEven without any particular context I can imagine the scene where their characters are reunited. Ripley, maybe in some kind of a semi delusional state, searching for Newt. She's moving through some kind of a lab, and she hears something rustle behind her. There's a moment of tense silence. Then you hear a familiar voice. "Ripley..." In that same tone as when Hicks asked for Ripley to help when they first found Newt. She turns and their gazes meet.
Wouldn't it be terrible if at the very end of the 5th movie Ripley wakes up as she's falling into the fire at the end of AlienĀ³.  :laugh:

Still as it is said, we don't even know where this movie is too take place aside form being years after the events of Prometheus 2. How would people feel about a reboot/remake instead of an alien 5?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 20, 2015, 07:12:31 PM
Because Predators, like the AvP movies, couldn't go more than two minutes without paying homage to the older films. There was nothing original about it and it tried to present itself as a fresh product.

Complete over-exaggeration there.

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 20, 2015, 07:48:14 PM
The script is on one of the bonus discs for the Alien Anthology.

Where's that on the disk? I can't recall that at all.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 20, 2015, 09:17:16 PM
I wouldn't really call him a "newbie" at this point. This is going to be his fourth film. Anyways, Scott and Fincher were both "newbies" when they made their Alien films.

That was the charm of the first three films. All were relative "newbies". Sure, Jim, had Terminator under his belt by that points but Blomkamp also has District 9 and Elysium under his belt by now.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 23, 2015, 07:19:01 AMOh without a doubt both Biehn and Weaver can pull it off. I have no idea where the too old for this crowd is coming from. Make up and roids do wonders.

I dislike it for the same reason I dislike people clamouring to get Arnie back in Predator - the idea of old people fighting these things is kind of silly. They'll tear you apart when you're young and fit and on the top of your game; to have sixty year olds squaring off against them is comparatively ridiculous.

Of course, it completely depends on how the characters are integrated into the story. But I get the feeling a lot of the pro-RipleyHicks people want to see them going toe-to-toe with the Xenos again.

whiterabbit

Honestly at the moment I'm having a hard time believing that they can pull off the old Arnie gimmick in TG myself. However, Weaver and Biehn don't have to play an unstoppable machine. Movies always take artistic license in relation to just what a character can and can't do. Just because they are older doesn't mean they have to be portrayed as being old.

Man I really wish they would drop some hints as to what they're thinking of doing. Of course they themselves probably don't know either. :P

Russ

If Arnie's back in Predator, it won't be as a main character - he'll have to be the General, the guy dragged out of retirement to be the adviser ("Major Alan Shaeffer - he's one of only two men to have survived contact with the creature...." "What happened to the other guy?"... "He's too old for this shit." (man, this stuff just writes itself)).

All these movies are franchises - they'll want to intro younger cast members to carry the torch forward. If I were writing it, I'd have a ballsy scientist woman called "Ripley" in it - played by Summer Glau. Just to watch the internet burn.

AlienV is a little different - Xenos aren't intelligent, they're not hunting for sport and they don't go mano a mano, they're hive creatures, you mow them down with pulse rifles. I don't think the emphasis in the aliens films has ever been on a physical confrontation with the creatures where as Predator always ends up in a face off.

Mike

Mike

Heres how it should go to warrant a great successful Alien movie/sequel.

1) A direct sequel to ALIENS

2) Don't reference A3 and AR for storyline purposes

3) Don't reference Prometheus 1 and 2 as it wasn't widely received well by the general audience

4) By not referencing A3 and Ar doesn't mean your retconning them but for strictly storyline purposes only so everyone wins if they liked those films ( I'm one of them myself). Similar to how Predators was a direct sequel to Predator but it didn't reference Predator 2 for storyline purposes but it doesn't 100% ignore the film either according to the director himself Nimrod Antal.

5) Get Sig and Beihn back to kick some Alien ass in a awesome new storyline as exactly what the concept designs showed. Have them fight Queens and other types.

6) Somehow get Weyland-Yutani invalid as enemys that Ripley and Hicks also have to deal with in the middle of the aliens

7) Throw in few androids as well.

8) The film should pick up were Ripley Hicks Bishop are in the drop ship, Newt unless they will replace the actress because she probably won't come back and they end up leaving Newt on Earth and then flying back to a different colony that was also infected with hundredths of eggs and xenomorphs all increasing in this infestation. knowing the info at hand Ripley and and Hicks want to wipe them out together. As well as Weyland-Yutani already there as enemys scavenging the area as they know what happen to it. For whatever reason and something happens to the ship and Ripley and Hicks Bishop can't return to earth. For storyline purposes they have a lil more ammunition then in the end of Aliens but have to create a lot more in time to survive this threat from the xenos. This would be an AMAZING Alien movie. You just need a script along these lines. The Key here is strictly a direct sequel to ALIENS as ALIEN and ALIENS had a great thing going for it. In the end your not retconning anything even the ACM game for the sake of fans not liking it but simply just not referencing them for storyline purposes.   

Nightmare Asylum

But having Ripley, Hicks, and cNewt running around, even if Alien 3 isn't mentioned, retcons the film out of existence just by having them alive.

Mike

Mike

Well you have a point but ok even if it does retcon A3 & AR and if it turns out to be great, it would probably be better than both those films combined. But as it is now Alien 5 is suppose to be a sequel including Prometheus. But I don't think those should combine in story. I like Prometheus 1 and 2 more of a spin-off than being canon. Even though Prometheus 1 is a prequel to Alien. But the way Neill Blomkamp showed the concept art of Ripley and Hicks scarred face ready to do battle seems like he is going to work off of Aliens.

BonesawT101

If retconning wasn't an option then the only way possible to make an alien movie with ripley, Hicks etc would be to set it between aliens and alien 3 I suppose(which may in turn explain why their is an egg on the sulaco). Obviously Weaver looks older now than what she did in alien 3 but does that really matter? not to me. Although I would like to add that if they retcon 3 and 4 I don't mind at all, I would almost encourage it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I hope Blomkamp gets Syd Mead to do the vehicle/spaceship designs. He previously hired Mead to work on Elysium so they already know each other.

If Hicks and Ripley do return could we also see the return of Bishop (even as a different model)?

Nightmare Asylum

Oooh, never even thought of Mead. Yes, please!

Perfect-Organism

Ok, there is something that is very concerning in this article:

http://www.scified.com/site/alien5/neill-blomkamps-alien-5-to-take-place-after-prometheus-2-and-also-be-produced-by-ridley-scott

Specifically the below quote:

Originally, based off of Neill's concept artwork, the setting for his Alien 5 supposedly takes place between the events of James Cameron's Aliens and David Fincher's Alien 3.

I certainly hope this is just conjecture.  I can't imagine anything dumber than trying to fit old Hicks and old Ripley in between Aliens and Alien 3.  Talk about squeezing out a story where none belongs.  It reeks of Alien: Out of the Shadows.  Ultimately it would mean that anything good that possibly happens to Hicks and Ripley in Alien V will ultimately just be rendered moot in Alien 3.  So why bother?  Why cheer for characters that will just die?

I say they should either do away with Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection or make them into Ripley's bad dreams.  The theme of dreams and monitoring of dreams (Prometheus) is already prevalent in the Aliens mythos...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed