Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,450 times)

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Quarax on Feb 21, 2015, 06:33:11 PM
Louis C.K. wants to die in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFJGg_GKts
The reaction from the crowd at the mention of a new Alien was great. Shows that the "general audience" hasn't forgotten about the franchise.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 21, 2015, 11:25:36 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 21, 2015, 08:04:30 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 21, 2015, 07:31:39 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 20, 2015, 08:41:51 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 20, 2015, 08:31:30 PM
That doesn't mean you can work on multiple project.
Post-production isn't a very engaging one for directors, skype and server exchange with one daily is more than enough.
At least that's the way I've always seen it in the industry.

For a very "hands off" director, maybe.

Oh yeah, I forgot that a very engaged director stay in front of the computer screen for an entire week looking at how much % the shot is rendered  :P

And overseeing editing, visual effects, audio (music, sound effects, ADR), color correction, planning potential reshoots, etc.

That's the producer/major(distributor) work in hollywood you're speaking about not the director.
To see a director do that you must either have James Cameron's gold bawl or simply leave the USA.

Again, maybe for a hands off director, but that's not at all the usual case. Some directors are definitely more involved than others in post, but to not have any role at all is, in a way, to not even direct. It was a big mess of a situation when David Fincher stormed off the set of Alien 3 immediately after production because there was no director to guide the process (not that his guidance was exactly relevant during all of production either, with all of the interference from Fox).

Just listen to the commentary tracks or watch the bonus features for any film, especially one by a director who has a very distinct look/feel to all of his/her projects. One name that immediately comes to mind in terms of big Hollywood filmmakers is Guillermo del Toro. Ridley Scott and Prometheus is another situation that most people on this site should be aware of-- his "butts in seats" mentality is responsible for the choppy structure of a lot of the film, because he as a director made the conscious choice to put relentless pacing on a higher pedestal than a fully informed story. Or, to check out something incredibly relevant to this upcoming Alien film, check out the bonus features for District 9 where you see Blomkmp interacting directly with the audio technicians, the editors, etc.

To direct on the set is good and all, but it's only one area that's actually in need of directing. Post is where the film really comes alive, where all of the elements from set come together and take on their true identity. The producers will definitely come in after and make you change things in most situations, especially in a film with a very big budget/a lot of money on the line, but even then they need to have the director's work to tear into and try to alter.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 21, 2015, 04:24:07 PM
Just saw these on Facebook:

Those are pretty neat! If the recent comics are anything to go by, it seems like Fox is willing to green-light some interesting new directions for the franchise. It will be divisive, yes, but I would rather that than another stale retreat of a previous entry in the series.

Jaz

This is great news!

Though i really hope they dont include any of the original casts. Been far too long now to set the film after any of the films. The actors are far too old looking to get away with it. If it was to be set after Aliens Resurection there would be no WY, earth would be a strange mess that no one could relate to as its so far into the future nothin is recognisable.

IMO Aliens Resurection should be disregarded entirely. It was a bit naff, lets be fair. Too far into the future, cloning and mistakes. Just no!

Id like to see a film about WY Corp going to LV 426 after the events of Alien 3. Ripleys long dead, the space jockey ship is bound to be intact. Id like to see WY actually get hold of a specimen and monumentaly f**k it up like they probably will.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Jaz on Feb 22, 2015, 04:32:00 AM
Id like to see a film about WY Corp going to LV 426 after the events of Alien 3. Ripleys long dead, the space jockey ship is bound to be intact. Id like to see WY actually get hold of a specimen and monumentaly f**k it up like they probably will.

Problem there is finding a suitable protagonist. Either the company is like a real company, made up of mostly fairly decent human beings, or it becomes a cartoon villain where you've got brain dead security guards, and mad scientists.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 22, 2015, 05:52:58 AM
Problem there is finding a suitable protagonist. Either the company is like a real company, made up of mostly fairly decent human beings, or it becomes a cartoon villain where you've got brain dead security guards, and mad scientists.

Like the guards and scientists aboard the Auriga?

Valaquen

Quote from: Jaz on Feb 22, 2015, 04:32:00 AM
Though i really hope they dont include any of the original casts. Been far too long now to set the film after any of the films. The actors are far too old looking to get away with it.

They're too old to potentially play older version of their characters? What's wrong with being old? I don't want Chris Pratt or his ilk (nothing against 'em) in this thing.

QuoteIMO Aliens Resurection should be disregarded entirely.

The only advocate of that film is, I think, Sigourney. The general audience, or most people I know who aren't fans like us, don't care about Alien 3 or 4 or whatever. A great deal of the hype around Blomkamp's pitch was Ripley and Hicks. I get the feeling Blomkamp had this whole story hashed out and wouldn't chase after it because he didn't think Fox would let him contradict 3 or 4 so wildly. I guess the internet changed their minds, as did the success of ventures like X-Men: DOFP.

Mike

Mike

I would like to see The new film take place right after Aliens. Not to dismiss Alien 3 and AR but Ripley ended in A3 and was cloned in AR. Some people like those films myself included but Alien and Aliens had a good thing going for it so I say continue it after Aliens just like the concept art showed. Bring back Ripley and Hicks and create an awsome story line. Together teaming up against the Bugs ! and even bigger ones like Queens and Preatorians and such! As for the title have maybe Alien and a sub title. As for referencing the other 2 films A3 and AR I wouldn't just go right to it from Aliens. Not retconning them just not referring to them like what Predators did as it doesn't totally discount Predator 2 but is a straight up sequel to Predator 1. In the storyline get Weyland Yutani involved somehow as corporate enemy's also what the concept art pictured. Forget about Ripley in A3 and cloned in AR for storyline purposes. Just don't reference them, simple and continue straight from Aliens. That's what I think is most right and most cool to do for the story. :D

FiorinaFury161

I have been thinking about what I would like the past few days, I will give a brief (and probably hilariously ludacrious) rundown.

1. A3 and AR happened. Deal with it.
2. Morse's book and character have a brief few moments in the film.
3. Does not take place on earth.
4. Does take place outside of Earth's solar system.
5. Ripley is in the film, hopefully as a contributing character and not main.
6. Brief mentions of LV426 and Fiorina161 events are in.
7. Colonial Marines and Space Police (?) are terifficly slaughtered.
8. The xenomorphs are still in costumes, but there probably will be a lot of CGI anyways.
9. Ruins of the terrestrial ship are shown.
10. Space Jockey is shown at end (why I don't know....)

Seems kinda crazy, but those are my wishes for this upcoming film.

OpenMaw

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Feb 22, 2015, 05:48:59 PM

*puts on sunglasses* ...Damn!

8. The xenomorphs are still in costumes, but there probably will be a lot of CGI anyways.

Costumes eh? Like this?

:laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Do you mean extraterrestrial (as in, the Derelict), or something terrestrial, like the ruins of the Auriga on Earth?

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 22, 2015, 06:12:42 PM

*puts on sunglasses* ...Damn!

Costumes eh? Like this?

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u446/openmaw/bfa9e8e40cbf80e911d580ea876e1eec_zpso0su86ff.jpg

:laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw#ws 8)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 22, 2015, 06:14:55 PM

Do you mean extraterrestrial (as in, the Derelict), or something terrestrial, like the ruins of the Auriga on Earth?
How about both? :)

x-M-x

is this confirmed as 'ALIEN 5' or just an ALIEN movie on it's own?

Has Neill exactly said it is ALIEN5 or what?

Nightmare Asylum

He hasn't said anything, one way or the other. Worth noting is that his Twitter account is following Michael Biehn's, despite Biehn not being active on there in years.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: x-M-x on Feb 22, 2015, 10:47:02 PM
is this confirmed as 'ALIEN 5' or just an ALIEN movie on it's own?

Has Neill exactly said it is ALIEN5 or what?
We're assuming it's 5,because the official statement says it's a sequel to the Alien franchise. That's all we got at the moment. Aside from the leaked concept art.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed