Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,061 times)

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 21, 2015, 04:41:48 PMI'm sure then they'd just say "a sequel to Aliens" or "reboot" or something. Or a "new sequel in the franchise".

The more I think about it, the more I get the feeling the use of the phrase "sequel to the Alien franchise" means it will be post-Resurrection. That would also best fit with the fact Weaver is now getting on for 20 years older than she was last time out.
A sequel to the Alien series could mean a sequel to any movie of the series, they didn't say "A sequel to Alien Resurrection".

HuDaFuK

Not really. Saying it's a sequel to the franchise implies it comes after. You're saying it's a sequel to the franchise as a whole.

Of course, who knows if they actually put that much thought into the statement.

Kel G 426

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 21, 2015, 04:28:01 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. It could interesting as a possible direction for the weapons division. All depends on the execution, really.

The related concept art says space jockey, so maybe it's meant to be more of a Pilot suit.

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 21, 2015, 04:56:53 PMNot really. Saying it's a sequel to the franchise implies it comes after. You're saying it's a sequel to the franchise as a whole.
Yap, as a whole. Not necessarily a sequel to Alien: Resurrection.

Quarax

Louis C.K. wants to die in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uFJGg_GKts

Le Celticant

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 20, 2015, 08:41:51 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 20, 2015, 08:31:30 PM
That doesn't mean you can work on multiple project.
Post-production isn't a very engaging one for directors, skype and server exchange with one daily is more than enough.
At least that's the way I've always seen it in the industry.

For a very "hands off" director, maybe.

Oh yeah, I forgot that a very engaged director stay in front of the computer screen for an entire week looking at how much % the shot is rendered  :P

Tough little S.O.B.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: reecebomb on Feb 20, 2015, 05:12:15 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 20, 2015, 04:24:14 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 20, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
I noticed that people were arguing about this movie's placement in the chronology for the past few pages.

We don't have much to speculate from, but I'd take the official Fox statement to be the clearest, and with it being the newest development, probably the closest to the truth.

A SEQUEL to the ALIEN FRANCHISE. Not to the Prometheus franchise. Not a prequel to the Alien franchise. All other "reports" are probably unsubstantiated. It's very early for all this information to be leaking.

And I guess this movie will be a Prometheus 2 sequel by proxy, but the Fox statement makes it sound like it's directly a sequel to the Alien franchise.

I don't understand why people are bothered by the prospect of Prometheus and Alien being even more interconnected. Maybe in some ways, yes, Prometheus shook the thematic ground of the series. But I still think they compliment each other. Even with whatever flaws Prometheus may have

One of the most mysterious and awesome thing of ALIEN was the derelict and the space jokey. Prometheus completely ruined it(for some of us) by turning one of the most fascinating creatures into a tall humanoid that is half the size it should be, that has created humans just to destroy them, ad that when it's raped by a giant octopus that is the son of a barren woman and a prick selfish drunk, gives birth to a laughable looking Alien. Oh, and he plays the flute too.

Besides that, no problem!

This. Kinda wish i could unsee the damn film. Prometheus made the Alien much less interesting and imo damaged the franchise far more than any of the AvP films or Alien Res. As stand alone feature Prometheus is quite a bit better than AvP1 and Requiem. I appreciate Prometheus as a nicely done Star Trek episode.

+1

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 20, 2015, 06:18:49 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 20, 2015, 04:24:14 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 20, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
I noticed that people were arguing about this movie's placement in the chronology for the past few pages.

We don't have much to speculate from, but I'd take the official Fox statement to be the clearest, and with it being the newest development, probably the closest to the truth.

A SEQUEL to the ALIEN FRANCHISE. Not to the Prometheus franchise. Not a prequel to the Alien franchise. All other "reports" are probably unsubstantiated. It's very early for all this information to be leaking.

And I guess this movie will be a Prometheus 2 sequel by proxy, but the Fox statement makes it sound like it's directly a sequel to the Alien franchise.

I don't understand why people are bothered by the prospect of Prometheus and Alien being even more interconnected. Maybe in some ways, yes, Prometheus shook the thematic ground of the series. But I still think they compliment each other. Even with whatever flaws Prometheus may have

One of the most mysterious and awesome thing of ALIEN was the derelict and the space jokey. Prometheus completely ruined it(for some of us) by turning one of the most fascinating creatures into a tall humanoid that is half the size it should be, that has created humans just to destroy them, ad that when it's raped by a giant octopus that is the son of a barren woman and a prick selfish drunk, gives birth to a laughable looking Alien. Oh, and he plays the flute too.

Besides that, no problem!
I know the movie has shoddy writing but you're making it sound so much worse than it actually was.

Honestly none of those things I had a problem with. I give more criticism to the dumb scientists and the fact that they let Shaw just run around the place using their tech and whatnot while they just chill with Weyland to put his clothes on. And then bring her along for the ride haha

If you have no problem with the flute, then I guess that...well...I mean...Good luck.

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 20, 2015, 07:13:28 PM
I wouldn't say Predators is bad, it's a 6/10 film imo

same here, while AVP is 2/10 and AVP:R is 0/10

Ultramorph

I'm honestly just still in shock that Aliens V is actually happening. I saw Resurrection when it first came out on VHS when I was, what, 8 or so. All the chronological/"is a retcon or not?" stuff aside, I have high hopes. Elysium was garbage, but District 9 was pretty great, so I think the series is in good hands.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 20, 2015, 07:43:19 PM
It could also be a synthetic modeled after Hicks; that was going to be the plot of a 3D Aliens effects show but it got scrapped before it could be produced. :(

Michael Biehn must be on the verge of a heart attach those days. The poor guy... Someone should make one of those documentaries about adorable losers with him.

Adam802

I feel like this movie will divide opinions. Some will probably love it, others will probably dislike it.  It's in a difficult position, in that it can't possible please everyone. 

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 21, 2015, 07:31:39 PM
Post-production isn't a very engaging one for directors, skype and server exchange with one daily is more than enough.

Oh yeah, I forgot that a very engaged director stay in front of the computer screen for an entire week looking at how much % the shot is rendered  :P

And overseeing editing, visual effects, audio (music, sound effects, ADR), color correction, planning potential reshoots, etc.

Magegg

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 21, 2015, 07:59:04 PMI feel like this movie will divide opinions. Some will probably love it, others will probably dislike it.  It's in a difficult position, in that it can't possible please everyone.
Everything divides opinions within this particular fandom. The whole quadralogy is a mixed bag. Many people hate Resurrection, many love Alien 3 and the same number of people hates or dislikes it, there are even fans who say Aliens is crap, I think the only thing we can all agree is that the first Alien was great.

That's why I'm saying, whatever, haters gonna hate.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Honestly, what really went wrong is the misunderstanding that the Alien is supposed to be similar to early Paleozoic life forms.Something really primitive, just from another world. I think the transition from that to aesthetically, something that's comparable to how Dracula is seen, is when things started getting, ehh. The alien, as a movie monster construct, is a monster that has generic elements and borrows a lot, but what makes it work is its lifecycle, and its vague appearance as a primitive crustacean of some kind, something you can't really fully make out covered in chitin and metal. The underlying idea is, it's a very primitive animal in the shape of a man, that only thinks about reproduction. Prometheus brought those ideas back a bit, and I'm hopefully seeing a return to that. I'm not saying biomechanic this biomechanic-that, the Alien has those elements but if you go too far that route, you mistake the attempts made on Alien and Aliens.

The point of contention, imo, arises, at the point they stopped considering this in production in Alien 3.

stroggificated

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 21, 2015, 04:24:07 PM
Just saw these on Facebook:

Spoiler

[close]

:-\
First i almost thought Ripley 8 starts to transform, mutate or something when i saw the first pictures. i'm not sure which would be weirder.
Why would anyone build a space suit like that? What is the meaning of it? Is this creature the result of a failed biomechanical space suit experiment? Do they want to fool the alien like in zombie movies, where they rub "zombie lotion" into their clothes?
I hope they'd come up with more than a simple >Because we can<.

Le Celticant

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 21, 2015, 08:04:30 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 21, 2015, 07:31:39 PM

And overseeing editing, visual effects, audio (music, sound effects, ADR), color correction, planning potential reshoots, etc.

That's the producer/major(distributor) work in hollywood you're speaking about not the director.
To see a director do that you must either have James Cameron's gold bawl or simply leave the USA.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed