Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,610 times)

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Quarax on Feb 21, 2015, 03:51:08 AM
Quote from: Gash on Feb 21, 2015, 03:46:48 AM
Wasn't there a maquette amongst the first leaked concepts that looked faithful to Giger's alien? Not seen that in recent posts about the concept art.

That was just Sideshow's Big Chap bust.

I'd prefer a Halo film over an Alien one right now

Rabbit2100

I know its a ways away from preprod of any kind, BUT the fanboy in me is screaming for Blomkamp to combine the first two designs into one. I've always liked the idea of a half domed alien. I whipped this up in photoshop using the beautiful renders by Locusta. His images are stunning and capture every detail of the creature.

Kel G 426

Yes, they should definitely look no further than Locusta's take on the designs.  I would love to see both designs, the original and the warrior, used in the same movie.

HappyAlien

You know what i like about Kane 's Son from Alien and the warriors from Aliens they don't have buck teeth like the Aliens from AVP and AVPR and i think the ones from AR looked pretty shit as well. The ones in AVP and AVPR reminded me of Cleatus from the Simpsons!
Hopefull the new films go back to the original designs and i'd rather not have ADI involved unless they do designs similar to the first two films and not what they did  in AR and AVP (Alien 3 design was okay though).

Vrastal

as long as it doesnt look like a man in a suit

HuDaFuK

Whatever happens with this movie, I hope they get Charles de Lauzirika to do another amazing making-of.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Feb 20, 2015, 08:56:05 PM
Some of you need to take some deep breathing exercises. I honestly, hope they don't include Hicks, as it was from concept art. Or.......even try to add this in with Alien Resurrection (I am assuming they won't). There's not a lot of options than to overwrite Alien 3, and Alien 3 is such a  visually magnificent film, I'm cautious if Blomkamp can achieve that same level. Think of it this way, if they add Hicks from the Colonial Marines continuity mess, what on earth are you thinking. If they add him and just write over Alien 3, it's like, ehhhhhh ehh, ehhhhh I'm not sure what I think of it. Alien 3 compliments Prometheus (I myself just watch an edit I've made of Prometheus with deleted scenes and uneeded scenes taken out, fixed continuity ) in that it is has very religious undertones, I tend to get it as helping make everything more tonally consistent for what they're trying to achieve, which is really unique in films science fiction history. The themes of Alien 3, and pre-written Alien 3 material, pretty much are the foundations for Prometheus to exist and add on to what it added, but not necessarily pulled off.

It just feels like over writing is jamming something in there that might not be pulled off well at all, might not keep a consistent tone. Including it before Alien 3 makes absolutely no sense and is just retconning for retconning sake to see Ripley. I suppose writing over Alien 3 accomplishes the same retconning for retconning sake to see Ripley just as well. I'm not even sure if the Alien franchise needs Ripley, there are plenty of avenues you can explore in this really rich world, that do not need Ripley and Hicks to guide us through them.

I am just very...neutral, about this whole thing. If it's happening then, well, it's happening and I hope it works.

And you know, there's gonna be some arguments. Some pretty emotionally charged arguments.

Ok. Thank you!!! Thankyou soooo much for this wonderful post. I've spent years arguing with people that the reason the EGG on the sulaco is a mystery is so they could infuse ALIEN 3 with the christian virgin-birth tropes, religious subtext, that the people who made PROMETHEUS obviously understood! I cannot tell you how many people have outright told me I'm crazy and no such subtext existed. Prometheus even made the day Christmas to make it clear. I am sure that whoever wrote that stuff knew they were doing A3 a service.

The other thing - the killing of Newt - it's always been obvious to me that this was done because they wanted Ripley to have lost her daughter, so the Alien growing in her had a sort-of Nightmare version of the Christ-myth thing going. But since the studio had cut the scene with ripley's daughter dying in ALIENS - the only way that could be accomplished for Ripley's character that would make sense to general audiences, was to kill Newt. Ripley's conception of that Queen in her chest, is like a spiritual manifestation - the flip side of Christ who will save the world. Her child will destroy it. So that's why the cruciform pose at the end is so important. Because she found a way to flip it back the other way. She is the christ figure, not the alien inside her. It's actually quite smart writing and it never got the credit it deserved because Fox tried to gut that stuff out of it.

Anyway - since you brought up Prometheus complimenting ALIEN 3, I'd like to add that it also compliments A:R (not that there is much you can do to save A:R from being a badly produced film) but essentially Prometheus compliments A:R because A:R is like humans have now caught up with the genetic experimenting with the Alien that led to the Engineers problems in those holograms in their weapons lab on LV223. I would argue that Prometheus goes out of its way to show that all of W-Y's technology is very similar to where the Engineers tech is - thus the 'We are the gods now' theme. If you watch Prometheus with this in mind 'All the tech the humans have is practically holding a mirror up to the tech they discover the engineers have' it's obvious they did that very deliberately.

Anyway - thank god someone else see's this stuff too. It's there. You just have to know how to look for it.

That said -
I think Blomkamp couldn't be better for this. I wanted him as soon as I saw District 9.
I also do think they should finish Ripley's story for good because leaving A:R where it was is a terrible thing. Its such a great franchise and it ruins it to leave it there. It shouldn't have been let on a cliffhanger after starting it down a whole new path. Especially after A3 ended the series effectively.

Same goes for PROMETHEUS. It absolutely needs its sequel.

I do not think Siggy Weaves will take the part at all, if anyone suggests 3 and 4 are retconned out, and I don't think Blomkamp will want to do that either. If she turns it down, there is no reason to retcon anything.

I think they should finish her story and plant the seeds for it to continue without her. Like Episode VII is doing. They will NOT STOP MAKING ALIEN films so, rather than the eventual remake, this is the path to take.

I find all the hate for 3 , 4 and Prometheus totally unfounded. I dare anyone to name a single film franchise where all 7 (which is what ALIEN V will be - the 7th installment) films - or even 3 films are just as good as Alien and Aliens. You just have to understand that s not how things are. Some are better than others at in this case the best are phenomenal. ts impossible to make 7 films that good, and they are still all pretty damn fantastic in their own right. If you take the films in this series separately they are all very interesting and redeeming in their merits. If things stay on par for PRM 2 and A5, this franchise will be unequal in all Sci-Fi franchises. I already think its the best Sci-Fi franchise of all time, because each film is so different and has tried new things ( AVP not counted whatsoever).

whiterabbit

AlienĀ³ was an alien movie, A|R was a f**king comedy. It jumped through hoops pulling all kinds of crap cliches.

Nightmare Asylum

Just saw these on Facebook:

HuDaFuK

Really not a fan of that idea.

Nightmare Asylum

I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. It could interesting as a possible direction for the weapons division. All depends on the execution, really.

Magegg

What if Prometheus 1 and 2, and Alien V, are set in a different continuity than the Alien Quadralogy movies?

HuDaFuK

Except Fox has specifically said the new film is a "sequel to the Alien franchise". So clearly it exists alongside them.

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 21, 2015, 04:32:06 PMExcept Fox has specifically said the new film is a "sequel to the Alien franchise". So clearly it exists alongside them.
Maybe it's a way to simplify it, instead of saying "a new sequel to Aliens that exists in an alternate reality where Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection never happened but Prometheus did and it will exist around the same time period".

Or at least that's what I hope for  :D

HuDaFuK

I'm sure then they'd just say "a sequel to Aliens" or "reboot" or something. Or a "new sequel in the franchise".

The more I think about it, the more I get the feeling the use of the phrase "sequel to the Alien franchise" means it will be post-Resurrection. That would also best fit with the fact Weaver is now getting on for 20 years older than she was last time out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed