Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,032 times)

Le Celticant

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 20, 2015, 08:25:38 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 20, 2015, 08:22:09 PMPre-production could already be done.

I highly doubt that. I believe Blomkamp when he said the concept art had nothing to do with Fox. In fact I get the feeling he threw that out there as an underhanded sales pitch to the studio. The studio wouldn't have let him release it if it had been done officially for the film, certainly not this early.

As I said in another topic, it's more like a fan-art or a "tribute" he made.
It seems quite obvious it is not related to the film he envision.
No one would make such a mistake to publish that just like this.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 20, 2015, 08:27:00 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 20, 2015, 08:22:09 PM
Pre-production could already be done.

lolnope

I actually meant "more advanced than we think". My stupid brain typed "done".  :P

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 20, 2015, 08:26:52 PM
Also, guys, keep in mind that Chappie only finished post a couple weeks ago.

That doesn't mean you can work on multiple project.
Post-production isn't a very engaging one for directors, skype and server exchange with one daily is more than enough.
At least that's the way I've always seen it in the industry.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 20, 2015, 08:30:32 PMADI are awful and terribly overrated. They've had 4 attempts at the Alien, and cocked it up each time. Let's give someone else a shot.

Their work on Alien 3 was great.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Le Celticant on Feb 20, 2015, 08:31:30 PM
That doesn't mean you can work on multiple project.
Post-production isn't a very engaging one for directors, skype and server exchange with one daily is more than enough.
At least that's the way I've always seen it in the industry.

For a very "hands off" director, maybe.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 20, 2015, 08:38:03 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 20, 2015, 08:30:32 PMADI are awful and terribly overrated. They've had 4 attempts at the Alien, and cocked it up each time. Let's give someone else a shot.

Their work on Alien 3 was great.

And a ton of other non-Alien films as well. I'd have no qualms at all with them returning under Blomkamp's direction.

That being said, I really want (and expect) Weta to be involved as well. District 9, Elysium, and Chappie are all testaments to the fantastic work they've achieved in the past, and at this point they've collaborated so much it must be like a well oiled machine. They get each other.

SpeedyMaxx

There is less than zero chance that article is legitimate. Excluding the open question of Ridley Scott and the Prometheus sequel and its potential release, Chappie is just now coming out. Timetables simply do not work like that.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 20, 2015, 08:43:29 PM
There is less than zero chance that article is legitimate. Excluding the open question of Ridley Scott and the Prometheus sequel and its potential release, Chappie is just now coming out. Timetables simply do not work like that.

Yup.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Some of you need to take some deep breathing exercises. I honestly, hope they don't include Hicks, as it was from concept art. Or.......even try to add this in with Alien Resurrection (I am assuming they won't). There's not a lot of options than to overwrite Alien 3, and Alien 3 is such a  visually magnificent film, I'm cautious if Blomkamp can achieve that same level. Think of it this way, if they add Hicks from the Colonial Marines continuity mess, what on earth are you thinking. If they add him and just write over Alien 3, it's like, ehhhhhh ehh, ehhhhh I'm not sure what I think of it. Alien 3 compliments Prometheus (I myself just watch an edit I've made of Prometheus with deleted scenes and uneeded scenes taken out, fixed continuity ) in that it is has very religious undertones, I tend to get it as helping make everything more tonally consistent for what they're trying to achieve, which is really unique in films science fiction history. The themes of Alien 3, and pre-written Alien 3 material, pretty much are the foundations for Prometheus to exist and add on to what it added, but not necessarily pulled off.

It just feels like over writing is jamming something in there that might not be pulled off well at all, might not keep a consistent tone. Including it before Alien 3 makes absolutely no sense and is just retconning for retconning sake to see Ripley. I suppose writing over Alien 3 accomplishes the same retconning for retconning sake to see Ripley just as well. I'm not even sure if the Alien franchise needs Ripley, there are plenty of avenues you can explore in this really rich world, that do not need Ripley and Hicks to guide us through them.

I am just very...neutral, about this whole thing. If it's happening then, well, it's happening and I hope it works.

And you know, there's gonna be some arguments. Some pretty emotionally charged arguments.

A.F

To be sure that the new Alien movie would be great. This should be made by James Cameron!

Nightmare Asylum

He's a bit busy with the next three Avatar films at the moment.

A.F

I rather wait that give a important franchise to some newbie. The concept art are great, but if he fails to deliver?

Nightmare Asylum

I wouldn't really call him a "newbie" at this point. This is going to be his fourth film. Anyways, Scott and Fincher were both "newbies" when they made their Alien films.

Magegg

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Feb 20, 2015, 08:56:05 PMIt just feels like over writing is jamming something in there that might not be pulled off well at all, might not keep a consistent tone.
All the four Alien films are different in tone. The least I'd like to see would be a return to the dead tone of Alien 3.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: A.F on Feb 20, 2015, 09:13:49 PM
I rather wait that give a important franchise to some newbie. The concept art are great, but if he fails to deliver?

I'd rather someone give inject new artistry than constantly relying on the oh-great-magnificent-film-patriarchs and have them constantly sucking up oceans of cash. If this were 1985 I'm sure people would be lamenting the loss of Ridley Scott as director.

KiramidHead

Yeah, Scott had only made one film when he did Alien, and Cameron had done two. One of those two was T1... the other was Piranha 2: The Spawning. So he was 50/50 like some say Blomkamp is.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 20, 2015, 08:10:37 PM
Blomkamp's new "Alien" movie will be released March 4, 2016.

Seems too soon and too good to be true.

The movie was announced a few days ago and already a release date? Why so soon? The usual average time rate for a movie to go through development and move into production and post-production is two years at the most.

Nightmare Asylum

It's not true.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed