Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,464 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: gabgrave on Feb 20, 2015, 04:13:17 PM
It doesn't have to be them specifically, but something along the same lines. Essentially the powerloader fight with lots of guns, Micheal Bay explosions and JJ Abrams lens flares, and a ton of aliens on screen.

I could see Blomkamp going the District 9 route and using a mech similar to that but when you put it in the way with the mention of Bay explosions and Abrams lens flares... Makes me thing cautiously about that.

gabgrave

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 20, 2015, 04:19:55 PM
I could see Blomkamp going the District 9 route and using a mech similar to that but when you put it in the way with the mention of Bay explosions and Abrams lens flares... Makes me thing cautiously about that.
That was a joke, no one in their right mind really wants a Titanic super 3D effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxj1mou03M.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 20, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
I noticed that people were arguing about this movie's placement in the chronology for the past few pages.

We don't have much to speculate from, but I'd take the official Fox statement to be the clearest, and with it being the newest development, probably the closest to the truth.

A SEQUEL to the ALIEN FRANCHISE. Not to the Prometheus franchise. Not a prequel to the Alien franchise. All other "reports" are probably unsubstantiated. It's very early for all this information to be leaking.

And I guess this movie will be a Prometheus 2 sequel by proxy, but the Fox statement makes it sound like it's directly a sequel to the Alien franchise.

I don't understand why people are bothered by the prospect of Prometheus and Alien being even more interconnected. Maybe in some ways, yes, Prometheus shook the thematic ground of the series. But I still think they compliment each other. Even with whatever flaws Prometheus may have

One of the most mysterious and awesome thing of ALIEN was the derelict and the space jokey. Prometheus completely ruined it(for some of us) by turning one of the most fascinating creatures into a tall humanoid that is half the size it should be, that has created humans just to destroy them, ad that when it's raped by a giant octopus that is the son of a barren woman and a prick selfish drunk, gives birth to a laughable looking Alien. Oh, and he plays the flute too.

Besides that, no problem!

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 20, 2015, 03:22:41 PM
It could easily be a sequel to Aliens though. Only time will tell, really.

At this point I really don't care. Just curious to see what Blomkamp does with the film in general. While I'd prefer if Alien 3 stayed intact, like Val said it's not like that film didn't mess with continuity in its own ways (lol egg magically tucked away on the ship), and fans still get behind it. 

And even if this film does, for lack of a better term, "overwrite" Alien 3, it's not like it's going to go anywhere. I--and everyone else--can still watch and enjoy it on its own. At the end of the day, all these are is movies. Heavy continuity is cool if you're into that sort of thing, but for me a lot of the fun and intrigue of the Alien series has been seeing new filmmakers come in and put their own stamp on it. Each film has its own identity, and to see the franchise go in yet another new direction under new vision will hopefully make for another interesting experience.

Reading that makes me wish A3 never happened. There wouldn't be this much division if it hadn't. Come to think of it, I say overwrite A3.

reecebomb

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 20, 2015, 04:24:14 PM
I noticed that people were arguing about this movie's placement in the chronology for the past few pages.

We don't have much to speculate from, but I'd take the official Fox statement to be the clearest, and with it being the newest development, probably the closest to the truth.

A SEQUEL to the ALIEN FRANCHISE. Not to the Prometheus franchise. Not a prequel to the Alien franchise. All other "reports" are probably unsubstantiated. It's very early for all this information to be leaking.

And I guess this movie will be a Prometheus 2 sequel by proxy, but the Fox statement makes it sound like it's directly a sequel to the Alien franchise.

I don't understand why people are bothered by the prospect of Prometheus and Alien being even more interconnected. Maybe in some ways, yes, Prometheus shook the thematic ground of the series. But I still think they compliment each other. Even with whatever flaws Prometheus may have

One of the most mysterious and awesome thing of ALIEN was the derelict and the space jokey. Prometheus completely ruined it(for some of us) by turning one of the most fascinating creatures into a tall humanoid that is half the size it should be, that has created humans just to destroy them, ad that when it's raped by a giant octopus that is the son of a barren woman and a prick selfish drunk, gives birth to a laughable looking Alien. Oh, and he plays the flute too.

This. Kinda wish i could unsee the damn film. Prometheus made the Alien much less interesting and imo damaged the franchise far more than any of the AvP films or Alien Res. As stand alone feature Prometheus is quite a bit better than AvP1 and Requiem. I appreciate Prometheus as a nicely done Star Trek episode.

predxeno

^This.

RakaiThwei

It's interesting to see how divided fans are when it comes to the movies. Makes me chuckle and shake my head.

Valaquen

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 20, 2015, 05:20:10 PM
It's interesting to see how divided fans are when it comes to the movies. Makes me chuckle and shake my head.

Some folk like Predators, some don't. Some like Prometheus, some don't. It's certainly healthy to have divisions in opinion. The only real problem is when people can't stand that others think differently from them. If we're lucky, we have good discussions and nice articulated arguments from it all.

Rankles75

Fair to say that's never going to change... :)

Regardless of whether it's a retcon, carries on from A:R or goes in another direction entirely, my main hope is that Blomkamp can give us a film that restores the reputation of the series after all the damage that has been done to it in recent years...

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 20, 2015, 05:36:31 PM
Some folk like Predators, some don't. Some like Prometheus, some don't. It's certainly healthy to have divisions in opinion. The only real problem is when people can't stand that others think differently from them. If we're lucky, we have good discussions and nice articulated arguments from it all.

I am all for different opinions and everyone having their own personal canon. Infact, I encourage fanon universes based off of personal canon! But a lot like you, I think the real problem is when there are fans who pretty much put down the opinion of fans who enjoyed certain movies, whether they were better received or ill-received. That's something I could do without from the fandom.

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 20, 2015, 05:37:21 PM
Regardless of whether it's a retcon, carries on from A:R or goes in another direction entirely, my main hope is that Blomkamp can give us a film that restores the reputation of the series after all the damage that has been done to it in recent years...

Truth be told I don't think that the franchise has been damaged. It's endured quite a lot within the last twenty three years and still trucking along just fine. Even the ill-received movies took in a lot of money and still sold quite a fair deal of merchandise. I mean even the AvP movies are still bringing in money from collectables and stuff.. even if the movies didn't go well with most fans (I'm one of the few who enjoyed both), people are still buying figures of characters and what not.

So the only way a franchise can be damaged truly, and irreparably is if they outright stop making movies and stop selling merchandise when an entry in the series is so, so bad that little to no product is released. As far as I am aware.. only one franchise has suffered that type of irreparable damage, and that's the Jaws franchise.

The Alien franchise, with the Alien 3's, Resurrections and Versus... is still trucking along without slowing down.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Feb 20, 2015, 04:24:14 PM

I know the movie has shoddy writing but you're making it sound so much worse than it actually was.

Honestly none of those things I had a problem with. I give more criticism to the dumb scientists and the fact that they let Shaw just run around the place using their tech and whatnot while they just chill with Weyland to put his clothes on. And then bring her along for the ride haha

DoomRulz

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 20, 2015, 05:36:31 PM

I'll choose Prometheus over Predators. Any day.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 20, 2015, 06:26:39 PM

Agreed.

PREDATORS just made me very apprehensive of future releases of the franchises. For me, that movie is the Robocop 3 of the Predator franchise. I hope Shane's movie ignores it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 20, 2015, 06:30:11 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 20, 2015, 06:26:39 PM

Agreed.
Oh, how you betrayed me. :o :-[

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 20, 2015, 06:37:51 PM
Oh, how you betrayed me. :o :-[

What are you talking about?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed