Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,210 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It does change Alien on a thematic level -- as already elaborated.

FiorinaFury161

I don't know what to post, except...

Spoiler
[close]

razeak

razeak

I think it's pretty much confirmed Alien 3 and A:R are safe at this point if the news turns out to be accurate and I think the series is better for it.

On the flip side, I would have still bought a ticket either way.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Whether or not they choose to ignore 3 and AR (and I think in an age where both DC Comics and Sony are rapidly rebooting their superhero properties and Fox is struggling to retcon their way out of their early, messy X-Men films, that's very possible), there is beyond zero chance that they will ever acknowledge the ACM video game as canon. That's the kind of fannish thinking that polluted the Star Wars fandom, thinking all those f**king awful books would be acknowledged for Episode VII. It will never happen. All that crap means nothing.

I think it would be a mistake to go on from Aliens and ignore the other sequels, because unfortunately what's done is done. But I think it stands a good chance of happening with this film. Nostalgia is king these days, 'remixing' and 'rebooting' unpopular history is in. The new Terminator film, which looks hilariously awful, is making a bold attempt to undo their last two terrible sequels by adding even more crazy shit on top of the existing mess. And I frankly don't find Neill Blomkamp to be very deep. He made a wonderful allegorical shoot-'em-up about refugees vs. Evil Corporations, and then he made another one with stars which was absolutely terrible and almost ankle-deep. Chappie looks like something very similar. And his designs look like the same thing: Ripley and Hicks play chaos agents in the beautiful secluded corporate palace of Weyland-Yutani! Pew pew! Time to get into my Engineer exosuit and wreck shop!

I mean, it might be a fun ride but a brlliant movie which deeply explores the interconnections of alien life and the darkness of the unknown... I am not seeing that here thus far.

Le Celticant

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 20, 2015, 12:11:55 AM
It does change Alien on a thematic level -- as already elaborated.

Not so much since the rape and mother - son relation was still very present in prometheus as in ALIEN.
It for sure isn't a take on heidegger phisolophy like Terrence Malick but it remained very much in the same vibe than the original.
It just failed at almost everything. The good thing Ridley has compared to Blomkamp even nowadays with his latest stupid movies is that the guy has an eye for photography and knows the power of editing while these two domains seems to be a complete unknown to blomkamp too focus on the cosmetic nature of over-amplifying things with fancy FX and sounds.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 20, 2015, 03:04:25 AM
I mean, it might be a fun ride but a brlliant movie which deeply explores the interconnections of alien life and the darkness of the unknown... I am not seeing that here thus far.

Frankly I think we've had enough lofty-aimed failures in this franchise. Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, and Prometheus.

A back to basic action-horror with some good character? Infinitely more palatable than "WHAT IT MEANS TO BE HUMAN IN THIS DARK AND UNFORGIVING UNIVERSE" writ large and erratically.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 20, 2015, 03:29:57 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 20, 2015, 03:04:25 AM

Frankly I think we've had enough lofty-aimed failures in this franchise. Alien Resurrection and Prometheus.
Fixed ;)

razeak

razeak

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 19, 2015, 11:01:15 AM

QuoteAmanda Ripley maybe.

Eh... The way that character was portrayed, was fine. The reason for her existence, however, still has yet to be reconciled with an explanation. :)

Well first, a mommy and daddy fall in love.... I really don't see her existence as being an issue.

Okay, so heart attack moment for Team Retcon. Alien 5 opens up with the Sulaco....and there is an egg and Hicks still dies. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha to infinity.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 20, 2015, 03:41:50 AM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/90478/ridley-scott-producing-neill-blomkamps-alien-film-tied-prometheus/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not only will Scott be producing but it's being said that Blomkamp's unnamed Alien film will take place directly following the events of Prometheus 2, which Scott is currently working on. The first Prometheus was loosely tied to the Alien franchise, and it looks like that connection will soon become stronger than ever.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn the f**k. >:(

RakaiThwei

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/90478/ridley-scott-producing-neill-blomkamps-alien-film-tied-prometheus/

So Alien V is going to be the Alien prequel then? Well... Know what.. I'm just not gonna pay attention to the news until it's all confirmed. As long as it doesn't retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection... I'm fine. I don't care.

At this point, keep me posted on the Shane Black Predator movie guys.

OpenMaw

...Aw man.  :-[

Vrastal

Alien 3 is safe for now which makes me happy, but at this point who knows what could happen.. Prometheus was gunna be alien now Prometheus 2 will lead into AlienP(prequel?)

I..I dont know what to think anymore

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 20, 2015, 04:22:07 AM
Alien 3 is safe for now which makes me happy

I am glad that Alien 3 is safe! But right now hearing that it's gonna be sort of a tie into Prometheus just leaves me with a sense of just not caring anymore. I mean.. Okay.. I LIKED Prometheus when it was released, and my opinion of it changed but right now I'm just like... Whatever, you know? If this is going to be an Alien movie it HAS to be the LAST one..

hfeldhaus

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 20, 2015, 04:15:31 AM

So Alien V is going to be the Alien prequel then? Well... Know what.. I'm just not gonna pay attention to the news until it's all confirmed. As long as it doesn't retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection... I'm fine. I don't care.

At this point, keep me posted on the Shane Black Predator movie guys.

This is what I read earlier on comicbookmoveie but it was shot down on here. I'll say again P2 introduces the Alien the Blomkamp's P3 links to Alien and is probably a fully fledged Alien film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed