Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,516 times)

Ash 937

They should just retcon Alien3 and make it so Hick and (half of) Bishop crash land on Fury 161.  Ripley and Newt can both die.  At the end of the movie Bishop meets his father.

J/K...

I think the idea that we can assume what to expect out of Blomkamp's sequel will remain to be seen.  Concept art doesn't always match the final product of the film.  Instead, they are often used as pitching point for an idea that typically evolves with the movie making process.

Hell, we don't even know what Prometheus 2 is going to be about and that film is suppose to tie/lead into Alien 5 somehow.  One speculative storyline is as good as anyone else's at this point.

marrerom

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 10:11:34 PM
Having aliens on modern day earth is more damaging to the themes presented In the Alien films then anything else.
Absolutely not. The themes of the fear of the unknown and the distant, and the utter vastity of the universe were absolutely at the core of Alien. Prometheus had no respect for that.

Wait, what? How did Prometheus not have those themes present? The whole point of their expedition was to find what was, in their mind, their benevolent creators.  Instead they find out that their creators were creating genetic monstrosities and bioweapons intent on the destruction of the human race. They find out that the universe is a much darker place then they thought. Themes of fear and insignificance seem to fall well within that.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 10:48:09 PM
Wait, what? How did Prometheus not have those themes present?
I started writing an enormous response to this, but then realized I already have.

predxeno

Holy Shit, that is an ENORMOUS response.

marrerom

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 10:54:56 PM
I started writing an enormous response to this, but then realized I already have.

...I don't even

Its just too much to unpack.  :o

The Ultimate Predator

As much as I love A3, really not that bothered with retconning it. A3 felt like it was retconning Aliens in a way; technically it didn't but ditching hicks and newt kind of felt like giving up what was setup in Aliens. But none of its a problem in my opinions. Different spin-offs, imaginings, reboots etc, all that matters to me is if its a good film. I'm really pumped most of all in the prospect of bringing back Hicks  :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 11:02:21 PM
...I don't even

Long story short:

Quote[...]
[According to Alien,] in the deepest corner of space, what humanity finds are unknown entities from other worlds.

[...]

[According to Prometheus,] in the deepest corner of space, what humanity finds is itself.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 11:11:41 PM
...I don't even

Long story short:

Quote[...]
[According to Alien,] in the deepest corner of space, what humanity finds are unknown entities from other worlds.

[...]

[According to Prometheus,] in the deepest corner of space, what humanity finds is itself.

Thank you for the TL;DR version. 

Edit*

I'm skimming it and I like how well its thought out and written.  I mean, I still think the AvP films hurt the franchise far worse then any perceived damage Prometheus did, but credit where credit is due man. Impressive.

Gash

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 11:11:41 PM
...I don't even

Long story short:

Quote[...]

[...]

Inhumanity in other words. Fits with  A L I E N  then.

Honestly, Scott's involvement is the only positive aspect I can see in this Alien5 project at the moment. If opinion can be made on all that's currently available - the concept art - well, it's all manner of confused. Has the whiff of fanfic nonsense all over it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 11:30:00 PM
If humanity finds itself, the word is 'humanity'. Not fitting. Alien didn't say that in 1979, but Prometheus turned tables completely -- something that retroactively influenced the first film, too.

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 11:24:44 PM
I'm skimming it and I like how well its thought out and written.  I mean, I still think the AvP films hurt the franchise far worse then any perceived damage Prometheus did, but credit where credit is due man. Impressive.
Thank you. :)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 10:54:56 PM

I like this thought:

QuoteThe new concept can be interpreted in an array of ways: we have the faces of men, but carry the exterior masks of monsters; the exterior 'monstrous' suit could also refer to the fact we are not able to recognize ourselves, or the fact that we are the monsters — the appearence of the suits would then reflect our real nature.

But I agree, the Space Jockey as an unknown and incomprehensible entity (a la Lovecraf) is far better.

Magegg

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 11:30:00 PMall that's currently available - the concept art - well, it's all manner of confused. Has the whiff of fanfic nonsense all over it.
Like X-Men Days of Future Past?

I wouldn't dismiss this as "fanficky" because the original idea was never to have Ripley and Hicks to die. Even James Cameron and Ridley Scott that was a terrible decision and a "slap to the face". A retcon would be necessary to return to their intended route.

Because seriously, whatever composite writer that created Alien 3 did, it didn't honor at all the series, and it's not me who is saying it, but also the creators of Alien and Aliens.

Alien 3 is nothing but an spurious child that occupied a place never belonged to it. It should be exterminated and vanished forever.

SuperM

SuperM

I would like to see a film about Robert Morse, who is serving as a creative consultant on a movie based on the best seller he penned after leaving Fury151 titled 'I Don't f**king Believe It Either', which he insists has nothing to do with butter.

The film (within the film) opens with an EEV containing Nicks, Hoot, Bashup and Ridley falling towards a prison planet and loosely recreates the events of Alien 3. The film is secretly financed by Weyland Yutani and is made deliberately bad to discredit Morse, however it is still superior to AVP: Requiem. Fans become obsessed with the characters of Nicks and Hoot and demand sequels. The unexpected success of the movie is frustrating for Weyland Yutani, who tried their hardest to make a terrible movie... but it somehow is a total box office success. A Michael Bay joke is used here. Morse also despises the movie, as sequences shot behind his back show him to be a idiotic, violent, cursing moron who is largely useless and only escapes out of sheer luck. The director insists the portrayal is accurate.

Morse writes another book entitled 'I Still Don't f**king Believe It' and is haunted in his dreams by the alien, which is now one of the most iconic images in the world. Everywhere he goes, he sees xeno dolls, toys, action figures. The beast is everywhere. His crusade to expose Weyland Yutani has failed. He overdoses and dies.

The final scene shows Morse's death on a cinema screen, and as the camera pulls back we see 'Hicks' smoking a cigar, watching the credits roll. 'What a f**king load of shit' he says, as the film fades out.

TheSulaco426

I think this sounds great, Neil sure does know how to use special effects effectively, and I thought District 9 was a very good film. I am curious if the film will be anything like the concept art which looks fantastic but only time will tell.

Gash

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 11:32:06 PM
Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 11:30:00 PM
If humanity finds itself, the word is 'humanity'. Not fitting. Alien didn't say that in 1979, but Prometheus turned tables completely -- something that retroactively influenced the first film, too.

Ok, but I don't see it that way. What the humans found in Prometheus was that their perceived Gods were 'mortal after all', and worse, they were inhumane. I don't see that it influences Alien at all.

In fact I respect the fact that Prometheus opens up the story whilst allowing other concepts like Cameron's hive/queen structure to co-exist as one of the more mundane routes that the originally much more bizarre life cycle could take.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed