Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 293,936 times)

marrerom

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 19, 2015, 08:14:48 PM
The way i see it Its ripley 8's continuation

20th Century Fox has since confirmed the news, clarifying that this is, indeed, a sequel to the original Alien franchise and not the Prometheus sequel currently set for release March 4, 2016.

source http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/411255-neill-blomkamp-is-officially-taking-on-an-alien-sequel#/slide/1

Since Weaver wants to do ripley 8 it looks like were getting ripley 8, and going wher her story left off which also means Hicks most likely wont be returning

Of course, this was the only possible route this film could take, and the only logical one.  Still, I find it highly disturbing how many people here would even consider the idea of retconning Alien 3 and resurrection as remotely acceptable.  People are even  saying that having Ridley scott as a producer is a bad thing?  get a grip people.

Intrepid-Traveler

Intrepid-Traveler

Still, I find it highly disturbing how many people here would even consider the idea of retconning Alien 3 and resurrection as remotely acceptable.

Why? Alien 4 is one of the worst abominations ever, and Alien 3 (however technically good) was a snore, no one remembers it, and all it did was put the nail in the coffin for the franchise. People here are just assuming A3 is getting retconned, when they might just do a "alien sequel" that does not even mention the other previous movies.

Sigourney showed interest and is not confirmed, same with Michael Biehn.

Vrastal

Itll be ok as long as they dont let what happened in alien 3s production happen and they dont let something silly like resurrections script pop out

predxeno

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 08:22:41 PM
Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 19, 2015, 08:14:48 PM
The way i see it Its ripley 8's continuation

20th Century Fox has since confirmed the news, clarifying that this is, indeed, a sequel to the original Alien franchise and not the Prometheus sequel currently set for release March 4, 2016.

source http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/411255-neill-blomkamp-is-officially-taking-on-an-alien-sequel#/slide/1

Since Weaver wants to do ripley 8 it looks like were getting ripley 8, and going wher her story left off which also means Hicks most likely wont be returning

Of course, this was the only possible route this film could take, and the only logical one.  Still, I find it highly disturbing how many people here would even consider the idea of retconning Alien 3 and resurrection as remotely acceptable.  People are even  saying that having Ridley scott as a producer is a bad thing?  get a grip people.

Tbh, there isn't any firm evidence that says they'll retcon anything, Ridley's presence on this film could be disconcerting however, since he seems to care little for the franchise now and his present style seems more focused on money-making than storytelling. :(

marrerom

Both Alien 3 and resurrection are highly underrated, very stylish films made by very good directors with good actors.  To say that they are far superior to the Disastrous AvP films is an understatement.  Weavers performance in those films alone elevates them far above your standard sci fi horror film. 

The real reason people continually are disappointment with those films (including Prometheus) is because they are not carbon copies of James cameron's Aliens.  But they weren't trying to be, and even if hicks comes back neither will Alien 5

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 19, 2015, 08:36:43 PM

Ridley's presence on this film could be disconcerting however, since he seems to care little for the franchise now and his present style seems more focused on money-making than storytelling. :(

Again with the ridley bashing.  We are lucky he is involved.  Prometheus was a breath of fresh air and gave this franchise some much needed originality. 

predxeno

Prometheus's Alien connection was nothing more than a cheap marketing gimmick to drag Alien fans into the picture (that's hardly originality), Ridley is really into doing these tricks now.  If Ridley wanted to discard the Alien Prequel he was working on in favor of Prometheus, he should at least tell the story with integrity rather than with marketing schemes.  The new film is promised to have no "gods and dragons" (aka engineers and aliens) in it whatsoever, you'd think that if Prometheus truly belonged in the Alien universe then there would still be some connection to keep the series going. Being without Aliens OR engineers, what else is there?

marrerom

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 19, 2015, 08:52:17 PM
Prometheus's Alien connection was nothing more than a cheap marketing gimmick to drag Alien fans into the picture (that's hardly originality), Ridley is really into doing these tricks now.  If Ridley wanted to discard the Alien Prequel he was working on in favor of Prometheus, he should at least tell the story with integrity rather than with marketing schemes.  The new film is promised to have no "gods and dragons" (aka engineers and aliens) in it whatsoever, you'd think that if Prometheus truly belonged in the Alien universe then there would still be some connection to keep the series going. Being without Aliens OR engineers, what else is there?

Ridley was as upfront as humanly possible that Prometheus was not an alien Prequel but its film, set in the same universe.  I don't know how many times in interviews leading up to Prometheus's theatrical release it was said that it wasn't going to be a clear cut prequel to alien. Ridley is exploring the spacejockeys with the Prometheus films, not the aliens, and that is perfectly acceptable.

The Cruentus

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 08:57:59 PM

Ridley was as upfront as humanly possible that Prometheus was not an alien Prequel but its film, set in the same universe.  I don't know how many times in interviews leading up to Prometheus's theatrical release it was said that it wasn't going to be a clear cut prequel to alien. Ridley is exploring the spacejockeys with the Prometheus films, not the aliens, and that is perfectly acceptable.
Plus he did initially intend for it to be an actual prequel but Fox wanted him to take the Xenos out of it.

Russ

Quote from: the evil pred on Feb 19, 2015, 08:02:25 PM
If they want to go with the idea that alien 3 and res was all a dream, I would be OK with that.  Even tho I am a fan of alien 3, resurrection was just painful, they could easily make it work.  In prometheus they had David go into the dreams of those in hypersleep, why not do the same with Ripley.  Just have WY try and see how far Ripley will go to exterminate the species.  They killed newt and hicks and put a queen in her.  Another scenario was that she became a part of the alien species.  You could also see it as torture.  Twice Ripley has screwed over WY.  There are ways to retain alien 3 and resurrection.  Will every alien fan like it.  No.  Me.  I already can't wait.

The evil pred fixes the Ripley's Nightmare issues. I love the idea of WY experimenting different scenarios; she, Hicks an Newt are the only people known to have survived an infestation. Their hands on knowledge makes them valuable insurance policies in case their latest project with the xenos goes awry. And they have previous when it comes to calling Ripley in as an expert.

We know that the filmmakers look at this site: for me, this actually gives Ripley's Nightmare resonance, a reason for it happening... And fits with the concept art.

Evil Pred, I salute you. I can't wait either.

predxeno

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 08:57:59 PM

No he isn't, didn't you read my post?  He wants no Aliens OR jockeys in the sequel, which leads one to wonder whether the introduction of either in the first film was merely a launching platform to enslave fans to a franchise that ultimately wants nothing to do with Alien whether prequel or spinoff related.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Prometheus is connected to the franchise regardless, Predxeno. Your -- and my -- only hope is that this new film distances itself from the ideas it presented.

Most probably won't, but you never know.

ADC

Oh wow. This has to be great news. Love Blomkamp's work. If you're going to do A5, he's an inspired choice. Fingers crossed

predxeno

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 09:15:16 PM
Prometheus is connected to the franchise regardless, Predxeno. Your -- and my -- only hope is that this new film distances itself from the ideas it presented.

Most probably won't, but you never know.

Yeah, I know it's connected, I wasn't contesting that (if I did then my "all EU is canon" argument would seem really flawed and hypocritical).  Ironically enough, Prometheus is the AVPR of the series to me; I finally know how you guys feel, what it's like to dislike a film so much you want to pretend, if not outright say, it shouldn't be canon.  It doesn't feel very good to be honest. :-\

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

AvPR at least can be quickly isolated. Prometheus shakes the thematic ground on which the first film sat.

MrSpaceJockey

I find Prometheus easy to isolate too.  Stylistically and the lack of actual Aliens help.  However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping this new Alien film would ignore the influence of Prometheus.

I don't want Prometheus to be any further connected to Alien.

Personally, of course.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed