Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,188 times)

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 19, 2015, 01:33:46 AM
We're getting both a Prometheus 2 AND an Alien sequel. I'm just gonna sit back and be optimistic.  ;D

I profoundly dislike prometheus, but this is the attitude. I'll do the same.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

As much as I liked Hicks, I don't want to see him return.. Leave him alone.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 07:20:31 PMA lot of people say the Stasis Interrupted DLC made his return a little more palatable.

I don't know, I watched that sequence where Hicks is brought out of hypersleep and was in tears laughing at the WY guy putting somebody else in Hick's tube. Just freaking hysterically done with absolutely no subtlety or anything.

So, yeah, if they're gonna bring Hicks back it better not be the way Colonial Marines did it. That's a textbook example of how not to do it.

It wasn't that the add-on made it more palatable - it was that the main game didn't even attempt to offer an explanation.

The actual explanation we got in the DLC was, as you say, a joke.

Magegg

I don't need an explanation, I don't even want an explanation, we already have the definitive one (Hicks died because of Alien 3's development hell, now we're free to ignore that, so YOLO), I don't want this movie to care about continuity, disregard all that, make as little references as possible, ignore Alien 3 and R and and just give me a good ride with the things that made Alien and Aliens great: Great thrills, great creature, great characters (Ripley, Hicks, probably Bishop) and a great story on its own right.

Jman

Jman

Maybe the Engineers experimented and tried to merge their dna or actual human dna with the Xenos, and the Kane-spawned Alien showed that particular characteristic, hence the humanoid-like skull under the 1979 Alien's dome. Maybe the stinger-like tail was a byproduct of the experiment also. Aliens subsequent to the first film didn't have those features. Could it be possible that the embryo implanted in Kane was unique? Maybe a non-related but ancient forerunner to the "newborn" of Alien Resurrection?

The Cruentus

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 07:34:00 PM
I don't need an explanation, I don't even want an explanation, we already have the definitive one (Hicks died because of Alien 3's development hell, now we're free to ignore that, so YOLO), I don't want this movie to care about continuity, disregard all that, make as little references as possible, ignore Alien 3 and R and and just give me a good ride with the things that made Alien and Aliens great: Great thrills, great creature, great characters (Ripley, Hicks, probably Bishop) and a great story on its own right.

Its poor attention to continuity that contributed to AVP 1 and 2 result  :P

OpenMaw

Quote from: Jman on Feb 19, 2015, 07:34:31 PM
Maybe the Engineers experimented and tried to merge their dna or actual human dna with the Xenos, and the Kane-spawned Alien showed that particular characteristic, hence the humanoid-like skull under the 1979 Alien's dome. Maybe the stinger-like tail was a byproduct of the experiment also. Aliens subsequent to the first film didn't have those features. Could it be possible that the embryo implanted in Kane was unique? Maybe a non-related but ancient forerunner to the "newborn" of Alien Resurrection?

It certainly wasn't treated uniquely if it was. It was just one egg among hundreds/thousands.

Also, God no. The alien in the first film is the purest breed of alien. From an artistic perspective if nothing else. Hand made by Giger. No freaking way does it need a back story involving genetic meddling.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: Jman on Feb 19, 2015, 07:34:31 PM

It certainly wasn't treated uniquely if it was. It was just one egg among hundreds/thousands.

Also, God no. The alien in the first film is the purest breed of alien. From an artistic perspective if nothing else. Hand made by Giger. No freaking way does it need a back story involving genetic meddling.

But isn't implied that the Engineers created or at least modified the Xenomorphs? if that is the case, they are already genetically meddled with.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 19, 2015, 06:26:34 PMChances are, if they pull the Hicks conspiracy theory from A:CM, they can just say WY ended up freezing Hicks in hyper sleep after using him for several years to fight Xeno infestations. That would explain his age.

Except a) people don't age in hypersleep and b) why the hell would they bother?
I know that. I guess I should've been more specific when I said "several years. " A couple of decades give or take.

And it's not that I necessarily want Hicks to be back, I'm just thinking of ways they could do it if Blomkamp is hellbent upon it.

Intrepid-Traveler

I think everyone here should have WAY more faith in Blomkamp and his plans for this series. The dude is essentially bringing back sci-fi (specifically cyberpunk) back in a HUGE way. Hicks returning and retconning Alien3 should be the least of everyone's worries.

People that think Alien 3 is the best alien will not budge from thinking that Ripley/Hicks should not return. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this new alien will blow away everyones expectations.

the evil pred

the evil pred

If they want to go with the idea that alien 3 and res was all a dream, I would be OK with that.  Even tho I am a fan of alien 3, resurrection was just painful, they could easily make it work.  In prometheus they had David go into the dreams of those in hypersleep, why not do the same with Ripley.  Just have WY try and see how far Ripley will go to exterminate the species.  They killed newt and hicks and put a queen in her.  Another scenario was that she became a part of the alien species.  You could also see it as torture.  Twice Ripley has screwed over WY.  There are ways to retain alien 3 and resurrection.  Will every alien fan like it.  No.  Me.  I already can't wait.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Intrepid-Traveler on Feb 19, 2015, 08:00:31 PM
I think everyone here should have WAY more faith in Blomkamp and his plans for this series. The dude is essentially bringing back sci-fi (specifically cyberpunk) back in a HUGE way. Hicks returning and retconning Alien3 should be the least of everyone's worries.

People that think Alien 3 is the best alien will not budge from thinking that Ripley/Hicks should not return. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this new alien will blow away everyones expectations.

Its not that people think Alien 3 was the best which its obviously not, its fact that the characters are dead and its set in continuity, breaking that is a serious thing, it might work out for the best, it might make things worse. Not to mention retconning Alien 3 means retconning the adaptive abilities of the Xenomorph since this film started that trend.

OpenMaw

No, that starts with the first film. Scott had that idea for the creature from very early on. He said "If it had come out of the cat it would have been an alien version of the cat."

It wouldn't harm the alien in the slightest if they retconned the last two flicks.

Vrastal

The way i see it Its ripley 8's continuation

20th Century Fox has since confirmed the news, clarifying that this is, indeed, a sequel to the original Alien franchise and not the Prometheus sequel currently set for release March 4, 2016.

source http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/411255-neill-blomkamp-is-officially-taking-on-an-alien-sequel#/slide/1

Since Weaver wants to do ripley 8 it looks like were getting ripley 8, and going wher her story left off which also means Hicks most likely wont be returning

Intrepid-Traveler

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 19, 2015, 08:05:39 PM
Quote from: Intrepid-Traveler on Feb 19, 2015, 08:00:31 PM

Its not that people think Alien 3 was the best which its obviously not, its fact that the characters are dead and its set in continuity, breaking that is a serious thing, it might work out for the best, it might make things worse. Not to mention retconning Alien 3 means retconning the adaptive abilities of the Xenomorph since this film started that trend.

Continuity that ended burying the alien franchise I might add. The whole problem with continuity isn't that Alien 3 happened (as movies like the new xmen show) but that the actors are WAY too old to be the same ages they were in Aliens or even Alien3. The easiest way to retcon would be to just have them wake up like Alien 3 never happened, but thats where the hurdles lie.

The only other way is that they managed to get home, grew older, and now Ripley is again finding herself getting roped into another bad situation.

I don't think it will happen like people will think it will happen, but the appeal to grab Weaver for the sequel and her interest in it, make me think that at least Ripley is coming back from the grave.

The adaptive abilities can totally be there as well, you don't need the old cannon to make new stuff. There are all the films, EU and more that the director can take from. District 9 had some human transmogrification in it, I'm sure his new Alien will at least nod to it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed