Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,387 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 19, 2015, 02:29:00 PMBecause every Alien movie and every Blomkamp movie has been PG-13 so far.

In fairness, off the back of Event Horizon, Soldier and Resident Evil, who would've thought AVP would be PG-13...

OpenMaw

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Feb 19, 2015, 02:05:50 PM
The Space Jockey Suit Ripley will probably also serve the same purpose as District 9.  Third act final battle, Ripley engages the Queen, multiple Aliens and corporate stormtroopers whilst wearing a strength and agility enhancing exo-suit.  An idea that I'm not overly fond of.  But Hollywood sees bank in superheroes so lets turn Ripley into Ubermorph...

Again, that really does fit the pieces of the concept art and Blomkamp's previous efforts... And it ties in nicely with Ridley Scott's Prometheus stuff.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 02:30:52 PM
In fairness, off the back of Event Horizon, Soldier and Resident Evil, who would've thought AVP would be PG-13...

...Sadly true. Somehow, though, I doubt Fox is gonna go PG-13 on this one, though.

Le Celticant

Well, another future cr*p to add to the series unless there's a miracle and blomkamp happen to be a good director.
I don't count too much on that though.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Feb 19, 2015, 02:17:46 PM
If Blomkamp can use some ingenuity, he can pull off a lot with a mid-level budget.  Cameron made $18 mil look like $100 mil.  This keeps the studio happy regarding a return on their investment and should engender some respect with the fan base.  Of course, Fox tried this technique with AVP: R under the Rothman regime.  I have more respect for the current brass at Fox and respect Blomkamp as a filmmaker infinitely more than the Strause Brothers.

Cameron did it at a time when movie's didn't cost as much to make. Everything's more expensive today. I don't think Fox will be stingy with their budget because Blomkamp is an established director and a money-maker.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 19, 2015, 02:41:27 PMCameron did it at a time when movie's didn't cost as much to make. Everything's more expensive today.

Steven Seagal's direct-to-video career seems to disagree with you... :P

dallevalle

I am so happy !!!!!
this is gonna be great :D alien 5 and prometheus 2 holy balls we are getting spoiled now !
just give me a predator 3 with arnold and my life is complete :)

Promethean Fire

Promethean Fire

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 02:32:59 PM
...Sadly true. Somehow, though, I doubt Fox is gonna go PG-13 on this one, though.

Agreed.  The people at Fox now are a bit more savvy.  This whole project has essentially been greenlit by the force of the outspoken fanbase via the internet.  As a studio, they are not going to suddenly piss off that fanbase.  Ever since Tom Rothman left Fox, the quality of their films has slowly increased.  Form the revived X-Men franchise to the new Planet of the Apes series.  The Deadpool movie was greenlit in much the same way as Blomkamp's Alien.  And given a R rating because thats what the fans demanded.   

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 19, 2015, 02:41:27 PM
Cameron did it at a time when movie's didn't cost as much to make. Everything's more expensive today. I don't think Fox will be stingy with their budget because Blomkamp is an established director and a money-maker.

Relatively speaking, adjusting for inflation Cameron made the movie for the cost of a mid level budget movie these days.  I think Return of the Jedi probably came in at around $30 odd mil which, in moviemaking terms, is equivalent to a $100mil+ budget these days.  The art of movie making is only overly expensive in the hands of an inexperienced film maker who feels the need to use a $50, 000 fx shot every five frames, when a $1000 painting and puppet could probably achieve the same effect!  ;)

DoomRulz

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 02:43:14 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 19, 2015, 02:41:27 PMCameron did it at a time when movie's didn't cost as much to make. Everything's more expensive today.

Steven Seagal's direct-to-video career seems to disagree with you... :P

Lol, I don't think those films cost much to make.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 04:03:44 AMGridseeker as much as I do like the alternate universe/alternate canon idea... I just do not see Fox adopting that idea. Not to mention for whatever reason, as unfounded as it is, seems to really not sit well with fans as it wouldn't erase anything.
Not saying it would be a comic book where there are dozens of alternate universes interacting or anything... I'm simply referring to a different canon independent from the Alien series.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 12:15:05 PMEugh the last X-Men film was a joke. They didn't even attempt to explain how Xavier is suddenly alive again. It was almost insulting to the audience's intelligence, like they were just expecting no one to question it.
Lol, we all know how he survived.

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 19, 2015, 06:44:50 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2015, 06:42:14 AM
We won't. Blomkamp's a good director.

Just his ideas are the worst type of Aliens fanboy terrible if his art's anything to go by.

I hate a majority of fanfiction, and aliens fancfiction is no different, all of this retconing just reminds me of bad fanfiction
Haters gonna hate ;)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Both right and wrong in this sentence.
Almost everything to make a movie (adjusted to inflation of course) actually cost much less than it did back in time.
A 10go usb card that can fill 1 minutes of raw files cost way less than 1 meter of film.
Same goes for camera, now companies eventually own them while back at the film era they only use to rent it due to the price.
Problem was, you rent it for one movie but as soon as you make another one you could have bought a camera.
But since studios didn't knew if they were ever going to make another movie they used to rent.
For all the expensive gear (microphone, tripods, crane, dolly, blablabla) not much has changed, they keep it so it doesn't cost anything at all.

Also, keep in mind they use to be a time, making lawrence of Arabia required 1000 figures to make a couple of shots. Each shot takes a day and you pay an average of 100$ each person. That's 100 000$ you're burning a day.
Today with modern computer, you pay 100 000$ and a bunch of VFX artists are going to make all the VFX of your film due to fixed bid which doesn't depends on the time spent to achieve a shot. It's very cost effective especially when you get subsidies.

What actually cost much more are the stars & marketing. And that's where the budget goes for your film.
Even adjusted with inflation there's a gap between what actors and directors used to be paid 50 years ago and how much they are being paid today.
Pay 10 000 000$ 5 stars and you already have a 50 000 000$ budget :D
Same thing with marketing. There was a time there weren't even trailers for film.
Now they make multiples, with posters everywhere and in all media (TV, Internet, local shop)

That is where your money is.

T Dog

I'm glad this is happening but I can't say that I'm excited about it yet.

I enjoyed District 9 and Elysium but many many behind the scenes things can still go wrong for this.

In agreement with what someone else said on here recently: Prometheus was probably the film that I've been most excited for in my entire life.
It turned out to be a bitter disappointment for me which has lead me to be cautiously optimistic but to really expect nothing from mainstream film-making anymore including this movie.

I hope Neil Blomkamp makes a great film though. It's simplistic/cliched story aside, Elysium had some great action and some great characters. The third act was spectacular despite a few plot-holes which I can overlook due to my general enjoyment of the movie and it's world.

scarhunter92

Really curious about this. Will LMAO hard if Fox moves forward with his retcon premise. I'm sure it will be better than Resurrection and both AvP films. He's the most appropiate pick for the franchise since Cameron (I like Alien 3, but Fincher was a nobody back then).

The Cruentus

I really hope it is not going to be PG 13, I know gore doesn't make a film good but it is actually a part of the franchise, its what made the chestburster scene memorable after all and poor Veronica fainted  :laugh: plus a lot of violence tends to get cut out as well.

I guess I would not mind too much with an Alien 3 retcon but personally I would rather it not, I think retconning would damage Ripley, her sacrifice and how gritty and horrible the universe is, and the message in it, Alien 3 showed us that anyone can die, protagonist or not. Don't get me wrong I would love Hicks back as much as the next fan but I think everyone is just getting too hung up over events that happned over a decade ago, s*** happens, people need to get over it, I did and I embrace Alien 3 as a legit part of the continuity, doesn't matter that the character we loved died, that just set the atmosphere for the film.

Plus a retcon, especially one that brings us Ripley and Hicks is just fanservice, nothing more.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 19, 2015, 02:29:00 PMBecause every Alien movie and every Blomkamp movie has been PG-13 so far.

Blomkamp said he wouldn't make this film unless it was on his own terms.

hfeldhaus

So fricking glad Hicks isn't coming back. My guess P2 will carry on with the engineers and introduce the Alien fully, the Blomkamp will make an Alien film that directly relates to the original

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed