Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,290 times)

Rankles75

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 12:44:29 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 12:42:26 PMCompletely agree. It's an exciting prospect to be getting a new Alien film but until we get more concrete details...we'll naturally feel cautious.

Also, in the back of my mind there's the knowledge that I was ludicrously excited for Prometheus, which seemed to have everything going for it, but then ended up being a huge disappointment for me.

Rarely (if ever) been as hyped for a film than I was with Prometheus. Even if I watched that trailer today, I'd still think "wow, that looks amazing!". Still can't believe Ridley messed that up... :(

Its Auto

Its Auto

Right here, right now, this director has the opportunity to set the franchise canon straight. I am excited, but I already have a gut feeling that it is going to be a missed opportunity. Here's my thought; How about we have a new 'Aliens' sequel while NOT retconning 'Alien 3', but instead, correcting the continuity errors?

Hear me out; This movie could take place AFTER 'Aliens', where Ripley, Newt and Hicks made it home safe.

*Insert awesome story right here, which includes aesthetics and technology which match that seen in Aliens (in the same way Isolation mimics the aesthetics of Alien), includes a soundtrack which matches the horror of the first movie, with the action and adrenaline of the second, a story where the characters are presented with an ordeal so pressing that Riply and Hicks cannot ignore, leaving Newt safely at Gateway (as responsible parents would), as they steal the Sulaco, along with the deactivated carcass of Bishop (as the only proof of what has happened) with a group of others and head on into the story. But hold onto your butts, after a rollercoaster ride of horror and shocking revelations, Wey-Yu shows up with Newt as leverage to stop Ripley on what she is about to do *insert further awesome story here* and it all ends with Ripley, Newt, a badly beaten up Hicks, and the deactivated Bishop that hasnt been part of the story but was left on the ship, all asleep in the CIVILIAN Cryo-bay (ya know, where they would have transported all those LV-426 colonists they were gonna rescue) as the camera pans to a pulsating superhugger egg, which got there in perfectly plausible means thanks to an earlier scene in the movie XD

The end.

Promethean Fire

The concept art may have given away some beats from the movie.  Why would Ripley clad herself in explosives?  Because, if she is a hybrid whose DNA can integrate with Alien technology then The Company would consider her an extremely valuable asset.  District 9 again then...

What if this movie is essentially an alternative Alien 4?  WY clone Ripley for her DNA.  Hicks was kidnapped from the Sulaco to provide first hand info to WY (okay, this is wonky but the only way to explain his being alive is through some convoluted style "The Dark Knight Rises Prologue" shenanigans.)

The movie would proceed (in a fairly unoriginal manner) fulfilling a wishlist of things from the Alien series.  Giger Alien. Grungy hardcore sci-fi production design.  Nightmarish terror.  Pulse pounding thrills.  Androids!  Pulse Rifles! Sigourney!  But if it is shot well, performed well, cut well and scored well then I'll take it.  And, it won't necessarily negate Alien: Resurrection either as that film takes place so far in the future.  In fact it makes the United Systems Military even more inept, ripping off ideas from ancient corporate entities.  Producing multiple failed versions of a vastly superior original.  Man, this stuff is just brimming with subtext... :D

DoomRulz

I'm thrilled! Honestly, I love Blomkamp and really want to see this.

Quote from: Its Auto on Feb 19, 2015, 01:06:20 PM
Right here, right now, this director has the opportunity to set the franchise canon straight. I am excited, but I already have a gut feeling that it is going to be a missed opportunity. Here's my thought; How about we have a new 'Aliens' sequel while NOT retconning 'Alien 3', but instead, correcting the continuity errors?

You mean a movie where Hicks, Newt, and Bishop survive?

OpenMaw

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Feb 19, 2015, 01:09:06 PM
The concept art may have given away some beats from the movie.  Why would Ripley clad herself in explosives?  Because, if she is a hybrid whose DNA can integrate with Alien technology then The Company would consider her an extremely valuable asset.  District 9 again then...

All of your points are very interesting, but something about this one actually rings quite true to me somehow. At the very least these are some very astute observations.  :)

stroggificated

After Prometheus i'll never be hyped for an Alien movie. There's certainly something to f**k it up again.
Stupid dialogues, even more fleshier Aliens, plotholes you can't ignore, etc.
When does it even air? 2020? f**k it.

DoomRulz

The movie would proceed (in a fairly unoriginal manner) fulfilling a wishlist of things from the Alien series.  Giger Alien. Grungy hardcore sci-fi production design.  Nightmarish terror.  Pulse pounding thrills.  Androids!  Pulse Rifles! Sigourney!  But if it is shot well, performed well, cut well and scored well then I'll take it.  And, it won't necessarily negate Alien: Resurrection either as that film takes place so far in the future.  In fact it makes the United Systems Military even more inept, ripping off ideas from ancient corporate entities.  Producing multiple failed versions of a vastly superior original.  Man, this stuff is just brimming with subtext... :D

It's hard to go back to the formula of the original film I think because people expect an action film in the vein of Aliens. And considering Neil's concept art showed off a Queen, I'm sure that's what we'll get.

Promethean Fire

Promethean Fire

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 01:51:50 PM

All of your points are very interesting, but something about this one actually rings quite true to me somehow. At the very least these are some very astute observations.  :)

The Space Jockey Suit Ripley will probably also serve the same purpose as District 9.  Third act final battle, Ripley engages the Queen, multiple Aliens and corporate stormtroopers whilst wearing a strength and agility enhancing exo-suit.  An idea that I'm not overly fond of.  But Hollywood sees bank in superheroes so lets turn Ripley into Ubermorph...

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 19, 2015, 02:01:52 PM
It's hard to go back to the formula of the original film I think because people expect an action film in the vein of Aliens. And considering Neil's concept art showed off a Queen, I'm sure that's what we'll get.

I think there is room for a tense claustrophobic second act which could deliver on the horror and suspense of ALIEN, whilst the third act can change gears and ramp up into ALIENS territory. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 08:28:34 AM
I'd like to see it explore Ripley 8. I genuinely think her character was the best thing about Resurrection. Her mix with the Aliens allows for something for Weaver to dig into and for the writer to explore. It gives it the potential to actually move forward and not simply repeat the formula of the previous films. I just want it to close off the Ripley story so the franchise can move forward.

This is the only way which I think they should finish the franchise. Heavily in agreement here.

Russ

Just read this on Den of Geek in the comments section:

Quote"This film will need a big budget and to qualify for that, it will need to tick a lot of boxes to keep investors happy. Expect a family-friendly 13-rated safe-bet action film rather than the hard-hitting tone of the originals. That era of film making is gone. We're in the era of rapid ROI and low risk investment. They absolutely will not do this properly because of Dredd and Watchmen, they'll play safe and we'll get yet another "meh" Alien film. And it will have to be this way because, as Ridley Scott himself said, his "dragon" has gone to Disneyland. Good luck Blomkamp, you're gonna need it."

Which, annoyingly, is good food for thought.

HuDaFuK

I really seriously hope not.

The glimmer of hope I have is Blomkamp's first two films were hard R.

swarm87

swarm87

pg-13 alien movie with liberal message here we come

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Russ on Feb 19, 2015, 02:09:28 PM
Just read this on Den of Geek in the comments section:

Quote"This film will need a big budget and to qualify for that, it will need to tick a lot of boxes to keep investors happy. Expect a family-friendly 13-rated safe-bet action film rather than the hard-hitting tone of the originals. That era of film making is gone. We're in the era of rapid ROI and low risk investment. They absolutely will not do this properly because of Dredd and Watchmen, they'll play safe and we'll get yet another "meh" Alien film. And it will have to be this way because, as Ridley Scott himself said, his "dragon" has gone to Disneyland. Good luck Blomkamp, you're gonna need it."

Which, annoyingly, is good food for thought.

The studio will go for an R-rated movie, if Blomkamp can bring the picture in for a reasonable budget.  The recent "Riddick" movie was shot for a modest budget and maintained that R-rated spirit of the 80's.  Even Blomkamp's own "Elysium" maintained the flavour of that spirit.  And that was made on a considerably bigger budget.  Fox have greenlit an R-rated "Deadpool" film for a modest budget.

If Blomkamp can use some ingenuity, he can pull off a lot with a mid-level budget.  Cameron made $18 mil look like $100 mil.  This keeps the studio happy regarding a return on their investment and should engender some respect with the fan base.  Of course, Fox tried this technique with AVP: R under the Rothman regime.  I have more respect for the current brass at Fox and respect Blomkamp as a filmmaker infinitely more than the Strause Brothers.

Valaquen

If Blomkamp ditches Ripley for all new characters, I'm happy with that.

If he wants to do a Superman Returns and ignore Alien 3 and 4, I'm happy with that. The third movie had little regard for continuity or concern with the second film, and is applauded for doing so by its fans. So bring it.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: swarm87 on Feb 19, 2015, 02:12:47 PM

pg-13 alien movie with liberal message here we come

Because every Alien movie and every Blomkamp movie has been PG-13 so far.

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 19, 2015, 02:18:20 PM
If Blomkamp ditches Ripley for all new characters, I'm happy with that.

If he wants to do a Superman Returns and ignore Alien 3 and 4, I'm happy with that. The third movie had little regard for continuity or concern with the second film, and is applauded for doing so by its fans. So bring it.

Fair. :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed