Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,276 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 10:56:04 AM
Biehn is too old to play Hicks now if you ask me. And I don't really wanna see the role recast.

That depends entirely on the nature of the Hicks role. I've seen him in some of his roles lately, and although many of the movies he's been in as of late have been... Not so great. He has the chops for it still.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 10:56:04 AM
Ripley did die in Alien 3. She wasn't Ripley any more when she came back.

Well, that's not exactly my point. Weaver apparently changed her mind and was willing to come back. Whether it was down to the size of the paycheck, or what, i'm not sure.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 19, 2015, 11:01:15 AM
A pragmatic character who could have backed up Ripley's version of events, for one. The third film was hampered by recycling the nobody-believes-Ripley-and-people-die-because-of-it thing. One of the major points of 'Aliens' was that the conclusion implied that was going to be a game-changer in the grand scheme of things, once they got home.

Exactly.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 19, 2015, 11:01:15 AM
QuoteAmanda Ripley maybe.

Eh... The way that character was portrayed, was fine. The reason for her existence, however, still has yet to be reconciled with an explanation. :)

Could you clarify what you mean by "reason" ?

The Shuriken

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 12:49:04 AM
Quote from: Chronicle on Feb 19, 2015, 12:44:21 AM
Prometheus can kiss my little ass goodbye.

I'll laugh if Fox decides to stop the Prometheus sequel in favor for Alien V.

Ya know I've had that same thought like...1 minute after I saw the news, I hope it doesn't happen since there are fans waiting to see it. But I honestly wouldn't put it past Fox.

Either way, pretty exciting news, guess fan reactions to all of Neil's art got the gears turning, or maybe they already had a plan, and the concept art making its way to the internet was a way to test the waters?

Russ

Quote from: The Shuriken on Feb 19, 2015, 11:59:04 AM
Either way, pretty exciting news, guess fan reactions to all of Neil's art got the gears turning, or maybe they already had a plan, and the concept art making its way to the internet was a way to test the waters?

You have passed the aptitude test for Weyland Yutani. Congratulations and welcome aboard. *lol*

That's really interesting idea - I don't know, but you wouldn't put it past them, would you!

Aquarius8

After what happen in the last "X Men" and "Star Trek" movies, I wouldn't be shocked by an "Alternate-Timeline" concept.  Therefor yes guys, 3 and 4 might not be safe.  Basically it's like this:

Alien----------------------------------------------Aliens------------------------------------------Alien 3------------------------------------------Alien: R

Alternate-timeline----------------------------------------Alien 5 (Takes Place after Aliens)

HuDaFuK

Eugh the last X-Men film was a joke. They didn't even attempt to explain how Xavier is suddenly alive again. It was almost insulting to the audience's intelligence, like they were just expecting no one to question it.

Corporal Hicks

The possibility of multiple realities/timelines is long established in those properties. I really loathe the idea for Aliens.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Stickied this because yeah, it's kind of important. After my initial wave of enthusiasm, I had the time to think some of this through.

Undoubtely, Blomkamp can definitely nail the dry and dirty style of the first two films -- not to mention that he uses a combination of practical and digital effects that are overall very convincing (just look at District 9, one of the best examples of creature effects in a decade). Very probably the new film will feel like a sequel to them, at least visually.

I love both Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection, I really do -- but I am not particularly opposed to a film that starts anew after Aliens at all. It just needs a solid script to be built on. This brings me to the concept art -- which, mostly, looks pretty promising. Love the Queen in the simulated-jungle facility, and the Derelict-type ship in the hangar (which is more accurate to Giger's designs than the ones in Prometheus!). I don't really like Ripley in the 'Alien-suit', however. If that idea remains in the film, my impression on it will be obviously based on its actual role.

Nothing more than wishful thinking at this point, but I would love it if they estabilished the Derelict Pilot as an actual otherwordly being as opposed to a member of the Engineer race. Very doubtful, but that would really bring it all full circle.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 12:29:40 PM
Nothing more than wishful thinking at this point, but I would love it if they estabilished the Derelict Pilot as an actual otherwordly being as opposed to a member of the Engineer race. Very doubtful, but that would really bring it all full circle.

I'd think that's unlikely as that was the point of Prometheus. And with Scott producing this alongside Prometheus 2, I expect to see them complimenting each other.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 12:29:40 PMAfter my initial wave of enthusiasm, I had the time to think some of this through.

The more I think about it the more I realise my feelings are very mixed.

On the one hand, District 9 is possibly my favourite film made in the last decade, it was such an incredible experience. And I even liked Elysium a lot, so I'm really excited to see what Blomkamp can do.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of Hicks being in it. I can't see any sensible way of that happening without either a ludicrous shoehorn or a total retcon, neither of which I want to see. I also don't like that silly Alien helmet artwork.

Until we get some more details I really don't know what to feel about where this might be going.

Spooky Baz

Exciting times to be an Alien/Predator fan indeed. What with a Scott-helmed Prometheus 2, a Black-helmed Predator film and now this. All we need now is a Duncan Jones AvP film and I'll be on cloud nine.

Re the shared universe thing, I'm all for it. As far as I see it, the films needn't be bogged down in continuity from sister-films - as long as they can stand alone on their own story, then I see no reason why we can't cross-reference them in some small way; akin to  the skull in P2 perhaps. It's this world-building aspect that has always excited me. I'd guess Fox think similarly as Hollywood has a massive erection for shared universes at the moment.

I'd rather not see Ripley 8, but then I'm not keen on Alien 3 or Resurrection being consigned to the dustbin either, as Alien 3 in particular still has it's good points. The best solution to my mind is to not include Ripley at all and revert to having real human beings being the protagonists. Looks like that ain't happening though. Ce la vie.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 12:39:03 PM
Until we get some more details I really don't know what to feel about where this might be going.

Completely agree. It's an exciting prospect to be getting a new Alien film but until we get more concrete details...we'll naturally feel cautious.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 12:42:26 PMCompletely agree. It's an exciting prospect to be getting a new Alien film but until we get more concrete details...we'll naturally feel cautious.

Also, in the back of my mind there's the knowledge that I was ludicrously excited for Prometheus, which seemed to have everything going for it, but then ended up being a huge disappointment for me.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 12:38:23 PM
I'd think that's unlikely as that was the point of Prometheus. And with Scott producing this alongside Prometheus 2, I expect to see them complimenting each other.
I know, that's why I labeled it as wishful thinking. But you never know, you know. After all, Blomkamp seems to be a big enthusiast of the original films.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 12:42:26 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 19, 2015, 12:39:03 PM

Completely agree. It's an exciting prospect to be getting a new Alien film but until we get more concrete details...we'll naturally feel cautious.
Also agreed. We need more data to work from.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 19, 2015, 12:47:51 PM
Also agreed. We need more data to work from.

So... Still collating?  :laugh:

irn

I'm massively excited about this! This news had made my day! :D

However Fox, if you're reading this, PLEASE DO NOT RETCON ALIEN 3!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed