Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 293,965 times)

Bay

Bay

I remember reading an interview where Michael Biehn stated that he did not want to return to the film franchise unless Cameron was involved (maybe was the terminator franchise, i'm not sure about this). Anyone remember this? It would be a pity to have another actor for the Hicks charachter :(

PsyKore

I'm pretty excited to see a new Alien film honestly. I can't help it.

Although, it would be silly to retcon Alien 3 because I feel her sacrifice is a much too significant point in the series. It would be such a slap in the face to ignore that.

Do what you like to Resurrection, however.

whiterabbit

You know the movie I would want to see, the one explaining how the derelict crashed on lv426. No humans, just alien on space jockey action and whatever other poor saps might be out there.

There is no way to retcon 3 or A|R. Time travel doesn't exist in the franchise.... I hope.

Everlasting Undead

I'm pretty excited about this news, too. But like many, I don't think a reboot or a retcon is the way to go.

Pretty sure that Hicks could never meet up with Ripley again... Unless the conspiracy story in Colonial Marines is accepted as lore.

It shouldn't be.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Bay on Feb 19, 2015, 10:11:45 AM
I remember reading an interview where Michael Biehn stated that he did not want to return to the film franchise unless Cameron was involved (maybe was the terminator franchise, i'm not sure about this). Anyone remember this? It would be a pity to have another actor for the Hicks charachter :(

And Weaver wanted Ripley to die in Alien 3. Things change. :)

sean.sumner

If Alien Colonial Marines was official cannon then Hicks is alive and well? As for Ripley she died in Alien 3, again fox cannon so any sequel involving these two is going to be messy story wise

HuDaFuK

Biehn is too old to play Hicks now if you ask me. And I don't really wanna see the role recast.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 10:50:41 AMAnd Weaver wanted Ripley to die in Alien 3. Things change. :)

Ripley did die in Alien 3. She wasn't Ripley any more when she came back.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Gazz on Feb 19, 2015, 12:59:22 AM
UPDATE: Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie will take place AFTER the events of PROMETHEUS 2.

It's an anonymous source and not a direct quote. My guess is that they actually meant that filming would commence after the 'Prometheus' sequel has wrapped.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2015, 01:07:20 AM
In terms of taking lore from Prometheus into account...it'd probably just be the Engineers which we can't change. It's happened. That's what the Jockey's are now.

Not necessarily. I was saying for a long time that the Engineers could have simply been emulating their own creators or another, even more ancient, species. Or, alternatively, something symbolic of one - I always preferred the idea of the Space Jockey just being a ship's 'living' CPU, with the actual crew looking completely different. The excellent 'Farscape' did that.

It's totally plausible, considering that the Engineers clearly have a thing for working iconic art into event heir architecture.

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 01:53:47 AM
Bringing back Hicks would be weird and pointless - what was there to the character anyway?

A pragmatic character who could have backed up Ripley's version of events, for one. The third film was hampered by recycling the nobody-believes-Ripley-and-people-die-because-of-it thing. One of the major points of 'Aliens' was that the conclusion implied that was going to be a game-changer in the grand scheme of things, once they got home.

QuoteAmanda Ripley maybe.

Eh... The way that character was portrayed, was fine. The reason for her existence, however, still has yet to be reconciled with an explanation. :)

QuoteMake a film inspired by Isolation. Something that recaptures the essence of the original.

Tone-wise, maybe - lighting and set design. The rest? As a game, it works. As a movie, it would be fairly boring/predictable to watch what amounts to a two-hour extravaganza of someone running around corridors and hiding in lockers.

QuoteNo Queen alien either, let's not go down that route again.

So... No way for the Aliens to reproduce? Talk about devaluing their threat potential! :)

I'd love for it to finally be canonised that egg-transformation is a way to get a Queen, but that still includes the presence/threat of one - much like 'Alien 3' did.

Also, considering we have seen concept art of weapons being hauled around, you can bet some Aliens are going to be shot at and die. They need a way to reproduce.

On the other hand, if this does retcon the third and fourth films, we can perhaps bring back the possibility of any adult creature being able to turn into a Queen... The third movie meant that was no longer feasible, because Queens were 'born' that way (which wouldn't happen if any adult could simply turn into one). Bringing that possibility back would make the creatures a significant threat, once more - and maybe explain why the original film's creature was so lethargic.

It'll be like the early 1990s, all over again! :laugh:

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 02:28:41 AM
I don't think most people, the general audience, will care either way. As long as the story is done well and entertaining. It very easily could be done well, too. A malfunction in hypersleep is entirely plausible for any number of reasons. You don't even have to dwell on the notion of what is taking place.

Precisely. If the story's decent, nobody will care.

The only thing is, it's a gamble. A retcon always runs the risk of being worse than what it's hoping to replace. Dare I say it, but witness the Engineers versus original Space Jockey concept... I'm fairly sure most people who saw it wished they had just kept it the same.

If it's a good film, though, nobody will mind if it means the third and fourth films are no longer 'true'. It wouldn't even have to be superior to have that effect. Just equal to them.

QuoteAlternatively, you set the story after the events of Resurrection, which doesn't really interest me very much personally. It's so far removed from what made the series interesting to me, and that version of Ripley has little to do with the woman I cared about for the three previous films. If there's a Ripley to show the audience, it's the Ripley who survived the first two films, not the Ripley who had very little of her humanity.

I'd actually like it, personally. It'd essentially be like 'The Fly 2', where we can never tell when her Alien psychology and DNA might assert itself, which could make for some great drama if it's handled well/respectfully.

There is also still the matter of not knowing what happened to Ripley 7.

QuoteBesides, this is shallow, but I really like the idea of seeing a PTSD suffering, alcoholic, and older Hicks fighting the aliens again. There's just something about exploring that character in those terms, especially if they get Michael Biehn back to do the role, that appeals to me.

Agreed. I really liked how he was portrayed in the first two comics - which I suspect is what's heavily influencing this story and resulting concept art.

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 02:42:37 AM
The concept art seems to take Ripley 8 a stage further and puts her in an alien costume. Looks very daft.

No more daft than the Engineers. :P If anything, it looks like that concept might directly involve that technology.

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 02:58:26 AM
I don't think they would be interested in Ripley and Hicks being the protagonists of the story, either, modern generations don't know those characters.

I honestly can't think of a single person who hasn't watched 'Aliens'... Just look at all the hype and hope which surrounded 'Colonial Marines', back when people still thought it might be good. Whether or not this could turn out well, there's no way people won't remember who Hicks is.

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Feb 19, 2015, 04:28:34 AM
you mean Gigeresque? ^^ that already exists, and is called Deacon

The Deacon was a poor Roger Corman-esque imitation... I can never look at it and not feel unintentionally amused. :)

Quote from: sean.sumner on Feb 19, 2015, 10:52:30 AM
If Alien Colonial Marines was official cannon then Hicks is alive and well? As for Ripley she died in Alien 3, again fox cannon so any sequel involving these two is going to be messy story wise

In fairness, we don't actually know that.

I've said before, that we could just as easily be seeing concept art of Ripley 'doing a Sarah Connor'. In the extended version of 'Terminator 2', the character has dreams about Kyle (played by the same actor) helping her to get out of a bad situation.

Now, that'd be easy enough to do with Ripley dreaming about Hicks, but we know Ripley 8 had a lot of genetic memories locked up. It would be interesting if something happened (whether accidentally or deliberately) to make her hallucinate him. I could see that working as an intriguing sub-plot. Would go some way to explaining why he's injured and dressed in that way, also, as those would effectively be her last (semi-distorted) memories of how he was.

So, that's a way it could possibly be set after 'Alien Resurrection'. Either Hicks is part of a dream or he's an active hallucination (possibly with Ripley being fully aware of such).

Karl

Alien is officially the most resilient franchise there is.  ;D It just keeps getting new chances despite several misfires.

Doggo33

The statement that it will take place after 'Prometheus 2' only makes me question whether they'll tie in 'Prometheus' with 'Alien', and I sincereley hope they don't. Obviously, that's already what's being done with the 'Prometheus' franchise but I'd much prefer to ignore it, for it is so awful and destructive of the 'Alien' franchise.

This does in fact also suggest that the film will take place before 'Alien'. This is quite irritating since the only need for another film is to finish the series that left Clone Ripley and others on a desolate Earth. That was really why it was brought up in the first place. Otherwise it is just exploiting the franchise.

Ulfer

Ulfer

So there will be another Alien movie. So be it.

But it's going to be hard work. What do I except from a new Alien movie ? Novelty, originality, and quality. Problem : in what regards the xenomorph itself, there is not very much to tell or to see now in the context of a movie in terms of originality. I mean, look : the human/xeno and the xeno/human hybrids have been done. Characters discovering alien eggs and being impregnated ? It's not new. The presence of traditional xenos can satisfy the hyperfans, maybe. But we need other things.
A movie is not a video game, where a really good variation of Alien (Alien Isolation) or Aliens (through the old AvP games) is possible.

Prometheus has begun to extend a bit the Alien universe and although the movie has been a great disappointment for me when I consider what it could have been, I have still hope for Prometheus 2.

I hope that these two future movies bring wonder and stupefaction. We've seen Interstellar, now, after all.

JPredator

concgrats to blomkamp for getting the job. the way he used social media to get him noticed is genious. 'hey guys heres some art but i dont think it will ever happen...look ripley and hicks'. then let the fans do all the work.....absolutley genious.

very excited but still dont know if hes a good fit for alien. his past work demonstrates a great talent for world building but not much else. i actually think he would be a better fit for an alien vs predator film. still hes a better choice then whedon/jeunett

i think the best place to go for this film would be to explore the company. why does it want the xenomorph? what is the world of alien like when we are away from the hostile environments? Blomkamp would defo be suited to a corporate espionage type tale.

also cant wait to see sharlt copley as an android (u know this is def gna happen).

this film cant follow alien resurection because that would mean the company is wallmart.....no thanks.
also the fact that ripley and hicks were featured in the concept art is prob the reason why its gaines so much attention. i think it will be a retcon or sorts.

my wishes: no time travel element to explain why hicks and ripley are together.
no continutation of alien resurection.
i dont care if the films is a retcon as long as its a great alien film. dont retcon alien 3 and 4 unless u are damn sure your making a film that is nothing short of great.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: JPredator on Feb 19, 2015, 11:12:02 AMalso cant wait to see sharlt copley as an android (u know this is def gna happen).

That's a good call actually! You know he's gonna be in it somewhere.

Russ

I think that a T-800s going to show up on the Evac Ship and save Ripley, Hicks and Newt - they go with him because they want to live.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 19, 2015, 11:01:15 AM

Now, that'd be easy enough to do with Ripley dreaming about Hicks, but we know Ripley 8 had a lot of genetic memories locked up. It would be interesting if something happened (whether accidentally or deliberately) to make her hallucinate him. I could see that working as an intriguing sub-plot. Would go some way to explaining why he's injured and dressed in that way, also, as those would effectively be her last (semi-distorted) memories of how he was.

So, that's a way it could possibly be set after 'Alien Resurrection'. Either Hicks is part of a dream or he's an active hallucination (possibly with Ripley being fully aware of such).

I don't like this idea at all - I'm in Team Retcon, but this really does make a lot of sense. For me, A:R left such a foul taste in my mouth, I want it retconned out of existence, but the idea here has a lot of merit. Kudos!

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

"District 9" was really good.  "Elyisum" had good ideas but the execution was off in parts.  "Chappie" looks like it's trying to hard to be "Short Circuit 3".  But Neil is a good up and coming Sci-Fi Director.  Both the previous Director's didn't have Sci-Fi background so this is good.  I'm excited that he took a chance with that concept art and treatment.  I'm also sure he was talking to Sigorney about it since she is in his next film  "Chappie".  Speaking of my Girl Ripley, she looks GREAT:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed