Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 294,012 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 03:39:46 AM
Read the front page..

It says that it's taking place after the Prometheus films... Either it's being filmed after Prometheus 2 which explains the wording, or it's chronologically taking place after Prometheus 2 in-universe.

The wording is a little confusing to me.

Could be a reboot? or perhaps Ripley is not part of the story.

Gash

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 03:34:06 AM
Perhaps you could just rewatch once and again Alien 3 if you think that should be the end of Ripley's story, that would serve the same purpose  ::)

If Alien 5 can't be original without backpeddling to revive more dead characters, that's exactly what I will do.

If it's truly that uninspired that it feels it has to reinvent the closure for Ripley in a more homely, happy way with her nuclear family, I'll catch Alien5 on TV three or four years down the line.

However, given that Ripley is the alien in the concept art, I'm guessing this is a sequel to Alien: Resrrection anyway.

viendammage

Read the front page..

It says that it's taking place after the Prometheus films... Either it's being filmed after Prometheus 2 which explains the wording, or it's chronologically taking place after Prometheus 2 in-universe.

That is weird they specifically mention Prometheus 2 but really any sequel involving Ripley should take place after Prometheus if it's following the ship, space jockey and how it landed on LV-426, etc right? If they're going right of Pro, it should be about whatever her name is and Michael Fassbender crashing the ship and dying on the planet before being found in Alien. Aliens takes place 57 years after Alien so just set Blomkammp's 30 years later with Ripley and Hicks being reunited and no mention of 3 or Resurrection, most people going to see it won't know what they missed.

Immortan Jonesy

marrerom

Quote from: bioweapon on Feb 19, 2015, 03:40:57 AM
I hope he finds the most important side, the Giger one.

I hear that.  Lets retire the A:R look of the Aliens. It worked for that film but has since been reused over and over again for budget purposes in the AvP films.  Bring back the old school bio-mechanical look.  Blomkamp has stated he loved Alien: Isolation, Well look at this beauty:

Lets hope he honors H.R. Giger.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Other franchises ignore the bad sequels in the series, so it's okay if Alien did the same with A3 and A:R. For example Superman Returns ignores Superman 3 & 4, Higherland ignores Highlander 2, the new Universal Solider movies ignore the second movie that came out in 1999 and Twisted Metal: Head On ignores TM3 & TM4.

tmoldovan

f**k YEAHx100!

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 03:32:25 AM
Perhaps you could just make your own film with Neca figures, and it would serve the same purpose.

Looking for 'Like' button.

Rakai, if a film 'takes place' in a particular time, then that's when it is set. 500 BC, 1898, or 1985. So this film will take place anywhere from the end of Prometheus 2 to the end of human history. When it is 'filming' is another matter, and has not yet been disclosed.

GQSioux

How cool would it be if Cameron steps in as another producer?

Gash

People tend to remember Alien 3 - if only as the bleak one where Ripley died.

Problem is, whilst Fincher might hate it, and some Aliens fans might hate it, there are a lot of people who regard Alien3 as a masterpiece.

A heavily flawed one in my opinion, but still harder to ignore because of the obvious rift it causes in fandom, than any number of obviously poor sequels like T3, or Universal Soldier or Superman 3 and 4.

KiramidHead

Read the front page..

I was confused by the wording, too, but I also don't get why that point needed to be brought up in the first place. The Prometheus films are set before Alien, and this movie would take place after them to begin with. I have no idea why Fox felt it was necessary to say that.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 19, 2015, 03:46:37 AM
Quote from: bioweapon on Feb 19, 2015, 03:40:57 AM
I hope he finds the most important side, the Giger one.

I hear that.  Lets retire the A:R look of the Aliens. It worked for that film but has since been reused over and over again for budget purposes in the AvP films.  Bring back the old school bio-mechanical look.  Blomkamp has stated he loved Alien: Isolation, Well look at this beauty:

Lets hope he honors H.R. Giger.

Despite that there were practical reasons for the choice of that design from Alien Isolation, I hate those kangaroo paws.

This is still the best design

Also, when I see the conceptual art of Neil, I get the impression that he is a fan of James Cameron xenomorph. Although I could be wrong.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 19, 2015, 03:50:10 AM
Rakai, if a film 'takes place' in a particular time, then that's when it is set. 500 BC, 1898, or 1985. So this film will take place anywhere from the end of Prometheus 2 to the end of human history. When it is 'filming' is another matter, and has not yet been disclosed.

Point made.. I just feel it would either be worked best as either set immediately after Prometheus 2, or sometime after Resurrection. I just feel like the franchise has been retconned enough as it is.

But we only can speculate based on the concept art which Blomkamp released. Personally.. I hope it's a stand alone.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Feb 19, 2015, 03:47:22 AM
Other franchises ignore the bad sequels in the series, so it's okay if Alien did the same with A3 and A:R. For example Superman Returns ignores Superman 3 & 4, Higherland ignores Highlander 2, the new Universal Solider movies ignore the second movie that came out in 1999 and Twisted Metal: Head On ignores TM3 & TM4.

'Superman'! 'Highlander'! 'Universal Soldier'! And WTF is 'Twisted Metal'?

I've heard this argument before, with 'Godzilla' and 'Robocop' (among others). You're gonna lump ALIEN in with those things?

Might as well throw 'Masters of the Universe' and 'Scooby-Doo' in, while you're at it...

viendammage

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Feb 19, 2015, 03:58:01 AM
Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Feb 19, 2015, 03:47:22 AM

'Superman'! 'Highlander'! 'Universal Soldier'! And WTF is 'Twisted Metal'?

I've heard this argument before, with 'Godzilla' and 'Robocop' (among others). You're gonna lump ALIEN in with those things?

Might as well throw 'Masters of the Universe' and 'Scooby-Doo' in, while you're at it...

I keep bringing up X-Men, Fox's other bungled yet successful franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed