Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 296,079 times)

KiramidHead

Between this and the new Predator film, I'm excited. All we need is a good AVP movie to tie it all together... but I'm kidding myself with that one.

viendammage

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 01:56:40 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Feb 19, 2015, 01:42:53 AM
I'm too say the least, pretty damn cynical about this. Due to some of the concept work I've seen and the whole "recton" idea it's a chalkboard scratching a chalkboard for me.

You know... I feel the same way.

I want to be excited for it but I'm just like... "Oh, another Alien. Cool, I guess?"

I'm super pumped, Aliens is one of my favorite films, by far my favorite in the Alien franchise. Michael Biehn as Hicks is one of my favorite characters/performances so I'm excited at the prospect of his character being given some love after what happened with Alien 3.
I understand more involved fans of the franchise in general don't like negating one chapter at the expense of another.  But seeing what Prometheus did and didn't do for the series along with how nobody cares that X-Men, Fox's other franchise has no continuity yet the films keep getting better, I'm staying optimistic until they give me a reason not to.

OpenMaw

Guys.

Alien V. I'm just saying.

Something fans have discussed on forums such as these since before the dark times we knew as the AVP movies.

It's finally happening. We have an experienced competent director at the helm, an enthused and excited Sigourney Weaver, and Ridley Scott on high and not directly in control. It is the perfect storm for the Alien franchise, on it's own, to restore some of it's quality standing.

And you know what? I don't care. Let Ripley suffer from a massive comatose state to explain away the previous two films and bring back an embittered battle-scared Hicks.

SpeedyMaxx

I'd be a lot more excited if District 9 was the only feature he'd made, let's put it that way.

Nightmare Asylum

Regardless of what happens with this, Chappie's gonna be nuts. 8)

SpeedyMaxx

I had hoped Elysium was just a typical sophomore slump but I honestly think the trailers for Chappie have been beyond terrible. I mean, I was looking for Ally Sheedy and Fisher Stevens by the 90 second mark.

I think he's a lovely idea man and has a real head for gadgetry and so on, but neither of his new efforts fill me with confidence. Still, it will be great to see Ripley again.

Nightmare Asylum

Chappie's trailers seem to really be playing down some of the more insane parts--and all of Die Antwoord!

Most people are probably going to walk out feeling mixed, but if it's tonally what I'm thinking it will be, I am so in. 8)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 19, 2015, 02:04:42 AM
Let Ripley suffer from a massive comatose state to explain away the previous two films and bring back an embittered battle-scared Hicks.

But the idea of retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection as a bad dream in the way Dallas did it seems like nothing more than just pandering to bitter fans.. fans who haven't gotten over those movies in the last twenty two years. Do we need a retcon if that's the worst case scenario?

SpeedyMaxx

The concept art really suggests sort of an Alien-esque riff on Elysium - which was a really bad movie - with Ripley and Friends storming the W-Y complex, adding in Fanfic Hicks. I just hope none of that has a basis in reality, but I'm not that lucky. I love Michael Biehn but Hicks is dead.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 19, 2015, 02:16:17 AM
I love Michael Biehn but Hicks is dead.

Not if you count... THAT game..

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I will be happy if they make A3 and A:R not canon. It will be something fans wanted for years.

MudButt

Any retcon, remake, reboot, reimagining, retelling, repeat, or foreign version of this film they choose to make will be okay with me only if Paxton comes back.  8)

Gash

I wouldn't even bother going to see it if Hicks was in it, and I'd think twice about it if Ripley was too. I'm sure Sigourney would like to do it, it'll undoubtedly give her a big paycheck, but I just think it needs to cut it's ties and have the guts to do something fresh. Otherwise it's just sinking back into the mire that lead to apparent fan service like AvP.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Gash on Feb 19, 2015, 02:22:18 AM
I wouldn't even bother going to see it if Hicks was in it, and I'd think twice about it if Ripley was too. I'm sure Sigourney would like to do it, it'll undoubtedly give her a big paycheck, but I just think it needs to cut it's ties and have the guts to do something fresh. Otherwise it's just sinking back into the mire that lead to apparent fan service like AvP.

One-thousand-times this.

OpenMaw

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 19, 2015, 02:14:42 AM
But the idea of retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection as a bad dream in the way Dallas did it seems like nothing more than just pandering to bitter fans.. fans who haven't gotten over those movies in the last twenty two years. Do we need a retcon if that's the worst case scenario?

I don't think most people, the general audience, will care either way. As long as the story is done well and entertaining. It very easily could be done well, too. A malfunction in hypersleep is entirely plausible for any number of reasons. You don't even have to dwell on the notion of what is taking place.

EX: Superman Returns had many problems to be sure, but one of them was not that it retconned III and IV. It actually did that part quite well. The real concern is that whatever reason you do this retcon for, it better be a damn compelling story.

Alternatively, you set the story after the events of Resurrection, which doesn't really interest me very much personally. It's so far removed from what made the series interesting to me, and that version of Ripley has little to do with the woman I cared about for the three previous films. If there's a Ripley to show the audience, it's the Ripley who survived the first two films, not the Ripley who had very little of her humanity.

Now, those two options of course hinge on the notion that Weaver/Ripley must return. Now, personally, I don't think they do, but if you're going to do it, then i'd rather they go the Superman Returns route rather than following on or "soft" rebooting after the events of Resurrection.

Besides, this is shallow, but I really like the idea of seeing a PTSD suffering, alcoholic, and older Hicks fighting the aliens again. There's just something about exploring that character in those terms, especially if they get Michael Biehn back to do the role, that appeals to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed