"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,306 times)

Daniels

It's been 3 years since covenant released and Sir Ridley's schedule is full for next 2 or 3 years. It's nice to know he still try to make a sequel, but I won't count on what he said...

Kimarhi

Can someone please stop Ridley from making garbage prequel/sequel films?  Enough already, get him the f**k away from the franchise. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Some filmmakers just aren't cut out for revisiting their earlier works.  I think Ridley is one of them.  He should only make new stuff that's completely disconnected from what he's done before.

SiL

I think that's most revisiting stuff from 30-40 years ago. He's a totally different person, different sensibilities, different interests.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SiL on Sep 06, 2020, 03:54:44 AM
He's a totally different person, different sensibilities, different interests.

I absolutely agree with this, but also, that's why I find it interesting that he's returned to the series with those new sensibilities and interests; it makes for an interesting lens through with to see more directly how he's changed over time and how he differently interprets the same general material now than he did years ago, which I find fun to watch play out both in the films and behind the scenes.

Kimarhi

I'm sorry, I just don't see it happening.

When has Disney ever played it anything but safe? 

I can't see them buying Alien series, then doing something super experimental with the franchise right out of the gate without the title creature.

I think it is 100 percent more likely that they will set a formula off what made the first two films successful and run with it.

To me it reads like he is relying on his name to try and get Disney to spot him some money so he can run with ANOTHER attempted reboot of the franchise.

I love the first film, and there were elements of Covenant that I like, but c'mon man, this dude has basically buried the franchise over the last decade. 

For him to direct another sequel/prequel that directly ties into the mythology he'd have to sell out on his vision big time.

That or maybe they throw him a bone and let him develop a series set in the same universe that doesn't directly impact the films.  His comments of late remind me of what his comments were in the void between Resurrection and Prometheus.

He's had his shot already, cut him loose. 

Ahsoka

I think the Prometheus/Covenant narrative could continue really well in some king of tv series, if they don't finish it with a movie.

Evanus

Scott didn't bury the franchise, far from it. Alien3, Resurrection and the AVP films did that. If anything, Scott brought quality back to the series, whether people like them or not.

Kimarhi

The whether people like them or not is kind of a huge deal. 

Kradan

Quote from: Evanus on Sep 06, 2020, 03:07:38 PM
Scott didn't bury the franchise, far from it. Alien3, Resurrection and the AVP films did that. If anything, Scott brought quality back to the series, whether people like them or not.

I agree

Rabbit2100

Just saw this video on YouTube. Spoiler warning for anyone who hasn't tuned in to Raised by Wolves yet

Spoiler

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Tichinde on Sep 04, 2020, 10:45:34 PM
Scott is the George Lucas of Alien, incomprehensible, insane, drunk, a little pudgy.

But we all miss him.

Lol!  Yeah

Game_Over_Man

The most insightful comment in this thread.

Nukiemorph

He talks about reinventing the wheel with Prometheus and Covenant. Maybe he's talking about the new origin to the aliens.

We always assumed the engineers were the creators of the alien, or that they were at least using the aliens thousands of years ago. Ridley tried to reinvent the origin by introducing David and establishing him as the creator using engineer technology.

Maybe he's saying he's considering retconning that. Maybe we'll get the reveal that many fans are asking for: David didn't actually create the alien as we know it. He was either reverse engineering the goo back to the mysterious alien that originated it or he was simply recreating what the engineers already made.

If Ridley/Disney were going to just abandon the prequel storyline entirely, I don't see why Ridley would still be involved. Why would he up for directing the reboot that abandons his story? And why would Disney even want him involved if they were so dissatisfied with his last two entries?

Local Trouble

Covenant already lobbed a big softball for a retcon with David's frequent deceptions and his misattribution of Ozymandias.  He can both lie and be wrong.

Now he needs to experience something like this:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed