Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece]

Started by bendinglight, Feb 21, 2021, 05:43:58 AM

Author
Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece] (Read 31,357 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Individualisation I'm all for, but there's not having identical faces, and then there's looking... not quality.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 17, 2021, 02:45:32 AM
Individualisation I'm all for, but there's not having identical faces, and then there's looking... not quality.

Amen sister!

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 17, 2021, 02:33:09 AM
I don't want to see yet another remake of the original design, I want the new one to feel like another individual member of the species, but with that same sense of elegance in design and performance that made Winston/KPH Predators stand out and hold up.

"Same sense of elegance"

Well said!  👏

Immortan Jonesy

Excuse me but that thing has to be a facehugger's house.  :-X

BigDaddyJohn

I prefer this one over the purple one, but if possible, I would be more interested in a new design for the new movie.

Yautja888

If I was a producer, I would ask for the  creature fx team to make a predator like the ones in the
first two movies, of course another individual who has his own unique features like the city hunter
compared to the original.

The majority of the audience has a preference for this early design, wich made the predator a cult icon
in the first place.They wanna make money ? Don't take your chances and stop trying to fix what's not
broke. Besides nostalgia is factor of financial success these days in Hollywood.

This thread got a lot of attention, wich is a good thing.It's one of the major problems in the franchise.

Master

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 17, 2021, 03:13:40 AM

https://i.ibb.co/r4dY05g/emissary.png

As said earlier, I like the skin pattern of this one. Face though would need some fix.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Master on Apr 17, 2021, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 17, 2021, 03:13:40 AM

https://i.ibb.co/r4dY05g/emissary.png

As said earlier, I like the skin pattern of this one. Face though would need some fix.

Yes, there is something on his face, like he is very crude, I don't know, he looks like a Flintstone. He's a big-headed Alien egg with a weird face.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

He's just a slack-jawed crabator who's in dire need of some chewing tobacco.

BigDaddyJohn

Would he become a god damn sexual tyrannosaurus afterwards ?

Local Trouble

BigDaddyJohn

Kradan

Kradan

It's so funny reading some posts here, 'cause reading them one might think that Dan Trachtenberg is some guy who really cares about Predators' faces looking right :D

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on May 10, 2021, 11:38:17 AM
It's so funny reading some posts here, 'cause reading them one might think that Dan Trachtenberg is some guy who really cares about Predators' faces looking right :D

He may. Especially if Skulls turns out to be an unsolicited pitch and it's revealed that Dan's a big Predator fan.

I go there because, if you remember, Dan Trachtenberg said back in November 2020 that he's been working on Skulls for four years. 4 YEARS!  That's 2016. That's while The Predator was already in development, and two years before the studio had any idea The Predator would be universally panned and it wouldn't be the new franchise universe launching pad they hoped it to be. That kind of lengthy commitment opens the possibility it's a labor of love, and if so, oh yeah, now in it's fifth year it's very possible Dan knows the exact Predator look he wants.

Kradan

Kradan

Well, It looked like labor of love with Paul W. S. Anderson, The Strause Brothers, Shane Black too, you know. True, he may be very passionate about the story he's telling but creature's design ? He may very well just trust effects' guys to do their job. I'm genuinely curious is there any record of John Mctiernan or Stephen Hopkins having any inputs in Predator's design or they completely trusted Stan & Co. ?

Idk, I just think it's too early to have such high hopes that Dan's gonna come and save Predator from looking terrible untill we see actual creature(s) stills from the movie

SiL

Anderson said he'd been developing his story since the 90s. The guy was clearly incredibly passionate about the project.

Look how that turned out.

Dan might know exactly the look he wants. And it might be another unmitigated disappointment for fans. He might be really, really keen for Predators with upside down mandibles. He might have a raging hard on for a female Predator with softer, more human features.

"The guy seems passionate so he must want exactly what I want?" Let's wait and see.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed