"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,334 times)

David Weyland

Yes I agree. Prequels not perfect but at least have some gravitas that was lost by AR and AVP
I think sticking to the beast as we know it is wrong and agree with the course of trying to expand the possibilities. Sure the Xenos are great but get over it.
It's like insisting on there being only T-101 s in Terminator movies, fun but lame

426Buddy

You can do all these things without shitting on the original creature whenever he brings it up.

Familiarity doesn't make something worn out. Sharks don't become less scary because we have seen them many times. Just because you use the Alien in an Alien movie doesn't make the film safe and unimaginative, I've always found that line of thinking to be black and white, its not an either/or situation. You can still include the Alien and make it effective, you just have to surround it with a good original story  and well written characters.

Nightmare Asylum

And a lot of people would make the argument that Covenant does successfully do something new and original with the classic creature, and presents characters (especially David) that the audience finds engaging.

Evanus

Yeah, of course you can use the alien in a movie without it being safe and unimaginative. Covenant proves that, even though the creature could've been handled much better. But I'm afraid they'll just go the safe route and make films that are basically remakes of the originals, instead of doing fresh and original things like the prequels.

Scott isn't shitting on the creature, he's just wondering if it's still as effective. While I believe you can still make the alien scary, I also believe he's right in the sense that you have to find new things to focus on, instead of just doing the same old stuff.

426Buddy

If you don't think Scott regularily saying the alien is "cooked" is sh*tting on the Alien, well then I have a house to sell yah.

Evanus

I don't see that as shitting on it. He just thinks it's overdone, and well, he repeats himself a lot.  :D

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 05, 2020, 06:58:32 PM
If you don't think Scott regularily saying the alien is "cooked" is sh*tting on the Alien, well then I have a house to sell yah.

If I have something in front of me that is cooked, I'm not going to shit on it. I'm going to season it. Spice it up a bit so that it adds something new to the flavor.

That's how I see Covenant's take on the Alien, with its new origin and connection to David's evolution as a character. It's the same food, but it tastes different and leaves you feeling different.

And funny enough, the worst parts of Covenant's capital-A Alien stuff, the chase on board the ship at the end, are the parts that are the closest to replicating the original film.

Immortan Jonesy

I feel very confident and full of admiration for Ridley. But,  I have to agree with @426. It is very repetitive and unnecessary. I like the scope of the prequels, but he don't need to undermine the Alien to make his point all the time.  :laugh:

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 05, 2020, 06:49:20 PM
And a lot of people would make the argument that Covenant does successfully do something new and original with the classic creature, and presents characters (especially David) that the audience finds engaging.

As interesting as the somewhat esoteric themes of the prequels are, I think they are more made for a series than for movies, as others have already suggested in other threads. There's more time for character development, theme development, and creative freedom. Even so, I'm looking forward to a third prequel. Having said that, I hope it can become the best of the three to do a true redemption and justice to the concept.

426Buddy

The worst part of Covenant is the Alien parts, but that has more to do with a director that is completely uninterested in the creature to start with.

He says its cooked, then goes on to use it in a very uninspired way and says "see!? Its cooked!" :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 05, 2020, 07:26:21 PM
As interesting as the somewhat esoteric themes of the prequels are, I think they are more made for a series than for movies, as others have already suggested in other threads. There's more time for character development, theme development, and creative freedom. Even so, I'm looking forward to a third prequel. Having said that, I hope it can become the best of the three to do a true redemption and justice to the concept.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing the third prequel film transition into being some sort of limited series with the proper budget and care put in so that it retains the scope of a feature film balanced with the more deliberate pacing a single season might afford them.

Stitch

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 05, 2020, 07:20:02 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 05, 2020, 06:58:32 PM

If I have something in front of me that is cooked, I'm not going to shit on it. I'm going to season it. Spice it up a bit so that it adds something new to the flavor.
I don't interpret Ridley's comment that way. I think it's more like a wild animal attacking you is scary. If you become adept at catching that wild animal, and are able to cook it, and eat it, you have conquered it, and it is no longer scary.

What Ridley is missing, though, is that if the food that is on your plate suddenly starts attacking you, then that would be f**king scary. He needs to be able to see that there are other ways of using the creature.

APC-2179

@Seattle 24: You make a great point. Blumhouse would be the perfect company to purchase the Alien & Predator IPs. In regards to Ridley Scott, he needs to hang it up and put this prequel trilogy to bed. I'm tired of the prequels. I'd like to see films based off of the Alien novels from Titan Books and/or feature-length versions of the Alien shorts that came out in 2019.

Evanus

Better to finish David's arc & right some wrongs, and then move on to do new things. Preferably using elements introduced in the prequels like the Neomorphs.

lordweyland

Many fans have been happy when Ridley Scott returned. Many fans will be happy when Ridley Scott goes away and leaves this franchise for good.

Samhain13

I can always count on Ridley to make me lose my shit by nonsense he says.  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed