Thomas Brothers Had Wanted to Do WW2 with Predator 2?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 09, 2017, 12:50:36 PM

Author
Thomas Brothers Had Wanted to Do WW2 with Predator 2? (Read 14,805 times)

Master

P2 was perfect sequel, shame we didn't get it's continuation in 90'.

D88M

I love how even the throw away ideas from the Thomas brothers are better than anything we got (and probably, will get) from the franchise since P2

Corporal Hicks

I still disagree with the dislike Predators get. The hunting preserve concept was fantastic. I would have made it be only a single Berserker Predator rather than 3 and had more prominence from E-T prey but I still loved it.

Master

Concept is solid but the execution made it dull as hell.

Corporal Hicks

I disagree with that too. I didn't think it was dull at all. I've rewatched Predators so many times. Far more so than I ever did Prometheus or AvP2.

GreybackElder

I definitely feel that predators is underrated. It's a decent film with a cool concept! I do feel however that the super predators were a little underwhelming. They didn't seem so "super" to me. I felt the original predator from P1 or P2 was far more formidable.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah. That's why I felt they should have just had the one Berserker Predator who went through and came out of everything- the claymore and the sword fight.

XENOMORPHOSIS

It would be fascinating to see Predator Prequels set during various wars across the world through out history, such as Ancient Asia Predators against samurai. Medieval times I.E. Predator Dark Ages Westerns World War 2. Or even the location the original Predator of Val Verd/Guatemala Central America establishing the mysterious legends of "el demonio que hace trofeos de los hombres" "the demon who makes trophies of men" as told to us by Anna in the original Predator.

Also hoping that the newest film The Predator paves the way for future Predator movies just as long as quality is retained, Alien and Predator are often described as B-Movies being delivered with A-Movie treatment.

D88M

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 12, 2017, 01:08:29 PM
I still disagree with the dislike Predators get. The hunting preserve concept was fantastic. I would have made it be only a single Berserker Predator rather than 3 and had more prominence from E-T prey but I still loved it.

I thought it had some good ideas but others ideas and the execution were bad, it was like a both remake and sequel that we get now so often but more dumb, i did not liked the drones, or alien dogs, the predators looked weird, like they had a head too big, and some other stuff, the casting was good though

Master

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 12, 2017, 04:46:31 PM
I disagree with that too. I didn't think it was dull at all. I've rewatched Predators so many times. Far more so than I ever did Prometheus or AvP2.
I mean the game preserve, not whole movie. There are no alien wildlife, plants etc. I liked the drilling site and this rocky formation where Isabelle did the trick with magnetic needle.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It definitely needed more in the way of other creatures, for sure. While I do enjoy the film, it was such a shame that it was made so quickly and on the cheap. I would have loved to have seen it gotten more to flesh out and iron out the film some more.

Johnny Handsome

I love the first two movies, and like Predators, but when i watch the movie i always think about the wasted opportunities. The main problem i have with this movie is how small and unimaginative it really feels. You're in an Alien jungle with dozens of creatures and prey from other worlds, yet, they do nothing with it. The jungle looks and feels like earth, there's one other creature in the movie for five minutes, the characters aren't terribly interesting. I actually love the stuff with Fishburne, giving some background on the whole thing, but it wasn't enough.

The concept was pretty interesting, but it really feels castrated for money reasons to the point that people say it's a pure rehash of the first movie and let's be honest, most of the homages just don't work, like Mombasa doing a Billy. The AvP's handled those much better.

It's still a fun movie and i revisit it from time to time, but it's a prime example of the case Shane Black is making at the moment, it was quickly assembled for a buck and there was no real creativity behind it.

yes

that opening sequence from predator 1 would be awesome even with arnold not in it ...

Huggs

It's a shame the Arnold concept wasn't realized. It would've been wonderful to read the script for that movie. Maybe have Arnold being stalked either in or on a military base, after he's been brought back for debriefing. It would give the movie a very "Aliens" feel. Creeping through vents and trashed corridors, guns out and afraid. Arnold slowly lowers himself from a vent and drops to the floor, then the classic predator roar is heard somewhere deep in the complex as it takes another trophy. They could even pan up from the predator standing in the ashes at the beginning, and gaze off into the distance where you see the helicopter flying away, indicating that there were other predators nearby all along, and they know where arnold is going.

I can't say the WW2 idea was worth exploring though. Having Allied troops seemingly "team up" with Nazi's would be in bad taste, and insulting to some. You'd have an entire group of characters whom the audience not only can't relate to, but they would most likely despise. Cannon fodder is necessary, but some folks just aren't likely to get along, and most likely wouldn't even under these circumstances.

Not to mention characters of that timeline would probably have a greater deal of difficulty fighting a predator. Troops in WW2 wouldn't have access to the kind of weaponry available to Dutch's group or the group from predators. The B.A.R. was a vicious tool, but it's not a portable minigun or an aa12. Along with the possibility that troops in that war may have had no clue about the concept of thermal imagery or tracking, and wouldn't be able to disguise themselves from the predator. Unless one of them fell in a snowdrift or became hypothermic to some degree, and was ignored by the predator.

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 13, 2017, 09:21:27 AM
It definitely needed more in the way of other creatures, for sure. While I do enjoy the film, it was such a shame that it was made so quickly and on the cheap. I would have loved to have seen it gotten more to flesh out and iron out the film some more.

I liked it too, just wish Classic Predator would have won that fight at the end.

Before we see a WWII setting, I'd like to see a film based on the comic Predator: 1718 where the Elder receives his flintlock.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed