Newt's potential...

Started by Predator Schwarzenegger, Jan 03, 2007, 05:51:16 AM

Author
Newt's potential... (Read 10,261 times)

Predator Schwarzenegger

Predator Schwarzenegger

I sat down on the weekend and watched ALIENS/ALIEN3 and ALIEN Rez with a bunch of people, most of which hadn't seen anything after ALIEN and after they liked AVP, they wanted to see more Alien stuff.
Something came up I'd never actually thought of before.
The 6 or 7 rellies who'd never seen ALIEN3 or AlienRez were fully expecting that Alien3 and beyond would be featuring Newt as the main hero. After all it makes sense when you hit the end of ALIENS that the logical step would be turning Newt's character into the new 'Ripley' somewhere along the line.
Now I'm even more frustrated she was killed off, she could have run a very different course in the franchise! What dy'all think?

maledoro

maledoro

Newt was nothing more than a screaming substitute for Jones the Cat.

Shaak

Shaak

Well maybe as a grown-up, she will be less annoying to you maledoro :D

If not Ripley, I would preffered Hicks as the hero  :)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Shaak on Jan 03, 2007, 06:17:33 PM
Well maybe as a grown-up, she will be less annoying to you maledoro :D
Yeah, but drowned little girls don't become grown-ups...

Quote from: Shaak on Jan 03, 2007, 06:17:33 PM
If not Ripley, I would preffered Hicks as the hero  :)
Everything that had Hicks in it read little more than AliensĀ², where the focus was on the "gunz", "sploshunz" and "mareenz" and everything had to be "bigger" and "badder".

Better that they died than to end up being recycled parodies of themselves.

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

I agree. Newt as a main character would've been great!
She had more experience than Ripley when it came to the Aliens. I mean, she was all alone for so long among the aliens, without any guidance or help, and she survived!

Damn, now I feel worse too. >:(
Newt would've kicked butt when she grew up.

"My mommy said there where no monsters, no real ones, but there are."

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: FACEBOX on Jan 03, 2007, 09:50:57 PM
When she was shown ten years after Aliens, she was pumped full of drugs and was about to undergo a lobotomy until Hicks showed up and rescued her. Then, she developed a fetish for toasters. She didn't have the potential then, she wouldn't later on.

She had more experience than Ripley when it came to the Aliens. I mean, she was all alone for so long among the aliens, without any guidance or help, and she survived!
Not really. All she did was hide. At least Ripley was gathering info about the alien when she was on the Nostromo. Not to mention that Newt would have either been caught by the aliens or starved to death if it wasn't for Ripley. The only advice that Newt could give Ripley and the marines were that the aliens mostly come at night and which tunnels to take for escape. Ripley had a better understanding of the aliens.

Newt would've kicked butt when she grew up.
Anybody who was traumatized as badly as she and Ripley were would be smart enough to leave the aliens alone. Nobody in any of the movies were killing the aliens for revenge or fun; they did it as a last resort in order to survive.

Predator Schwarzenegger

Predator Schwarzenegger

True, that was just a point raised I'd never thought of. She would have had the same sort of motivation to 'go after' Aliens as Ripley had in ALIENS - to get it out of her system, mainly pshycologically.
It still would have been nice to see a NEW hero in the Alien franchise. I've seen a few Alien5 fan posters here and there and one had Arnold in it. Pure fanboy fantasy of course.
By the way, maybe I should post this bit in an AVP area, but having watched AVP recently I think the woman with the white hair, who you see a chest burster come out of, would have been a really cool alternative to Lex as the hero. She even has a shot where she turns to the camera (when she asks 'what did you say this chamber was called?') in a mirror image of the exact same shot of Arnold in Predator. People more familiar with Predator probably picked that out too. If not I'll try to remember exactly where Arnold does it, I think its with his conversation with Billy.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Predator Schwarzenegger on Jan 03, 2007, 10:59:33 PM
True, that was just a point raised I'd never thought of. She would have had the same sort of motivation to 'go after' Aliens as Ripley had in ALIENS - to get it out of her system, mainly pshycologically.
You've misread my post. Neither Ripley or Newt would want to get involved with the aliens again. And I'm sure that Hicks wouldn't, either.

If you had survived a bear attack, I doubt if you would go back into the woods for payback; especially if you didn't know where the bear from the last attack had come from, or if there were other bears.

Again, any smart person would know well enough to leave them alone.

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

...drules.... Duh... wha?

LOL ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 03, 2007, 10:08:34 PM
When she was shown ten years after Aliens, she was pumped full of drugs and was about to undergo a lobotomy until Hicks showed up and rescued her. Then, she developed a fetish for toasters. She didn't have the potential then, she wouldn't later on.
[/quote]

Lol bless Billie and Wilks.  ;D

I would have enjoyed seeing the characters develope as a group.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2007, 11:08:50 PM
I would have enjoyed seeing the characters develope as a group.
Well, two of them died together. That's gotta count for something, right?

Newt-

Hicks-

Ripley-

topman

topman

maledoro

maledoro

Thankies!

Shaak

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Shaak on Jan 05, 2007, 02:59:10 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Jan 05, 2007, 12:00:23 AM
Hicks-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/maledoro/Angry%20Smilies/corkysm59.gif

That was SO cruel and funny at the same time.

Events which appear gross or offensive in the instant may become, with a slight change of perspective, somewhere between droll and riotously funny.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed