Trailer is here! (HD downloads available)

Started by JaaayDee, Dec 22, 2011, 03:54:07 PM

What do you think of the trailer?

Love it.
50 (69.4%)
Pretty good.
13 (18.1%)
It's alright.
7 (9.7%)
Meh.
0 (0%)
Horrible.
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Trailer is here! (HD downloads available) (Read 122,487 times)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 26, 2011, 05:21:17 PM
Prometheus was initially written by Spaihts....Lindelof came in and rewrote the script keeping some of the bones of the story that Spaihts wrote.

Lindelof also went to great lengths to say that he crafted the story around Ridleys ideas.

Yes he was brought in to take the Spaihts script and make it "not an Alien movie". Apparently the Spaihts script was full of classic Alien tropes; facehuggers, chestbusters etc. Lindelof, to paraphrase, "took some of the sub-texts of that script and brought them to the front, pushing those old tropes into the background". This was all at Ridley Scott's own request.

-Chris

Deuterium

At the risk of getting seriously flamed and bad karma sent my way, I have read both Spaihts scripts "Shadow 19" as well as "Passengers".  I will noit discuss "Alien Harvest", as there never has been (to my knowledge) formal confirmation from Jon Spaihts that he had anything to do with "Alien Harvest".

Nevertheless, getting back on subject....ummm, how do I say this, I wasn't impressed by either "Shadow 19" nor "Passengers".  "Shadow 19" was just a re-write (pontentially plagriasm ** cough **) of "Rogue Moon" by Algis Budrys.  Seriously, if you have read "Shadow 19", look up the plot synopsis to Rogue Moon on Wikipedia.  Better still, read the superior original novella.  "Shadow 19" also has many similarities to Alistair Reynold's "Diamond Dogs".

"Passenger 19" was just soap opera set in space with a cliche love story shoved in.  The ending also stretches credibility.

Sorry to sound like a grinch, but Spaiht's (from what I have read) cannot hold a candle to any number of modern Sci-Fi writers, including Alistair Reynolds, Ian M. Banks, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton, Peter Watts, Charles Stross, etc., etc.

Alienseseses

Alien's original script wasn't great before it was rewritten, so it might be the same case here.

StrangeShape

Quote from: psychonaut25 on Dec 25, 2011, 11:15:12 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Dec 25, 2011, 04:16:59 AM
The trailer was amazing even in that terribly low quality and its even more stunning in HD. Seeing that imagery I just cant imagine how amazing its gonna be to see Scott's Alienesque vision in 3D. This is gonna be a fascinating experience to all senses

I rather see this movie without 3D, I want to see it in high resolution, rather in 3D.

I want 3D, definitely. A horror movie from Scott, and alien related and in 3 dimensions is a dream come true nerdgasm for me. For me with 3D done right its like being there or really looking from the side.

I just cant stand the wait for this movie. I always rewatch the ALien trilogy (resurrection abomination doesnt exist for me) once every year or a bit more (to keep it fresh), but this year I cant watch it cause I keep thinking about Prometheus and the anticipation is killin me

ThisBethesdaSea

Again....remember that Lindelof rewrote the script with portions of Spaihts original story left in. I would hope that both Lindelof and Spaihts realize what sacred ground an Alien script is. Mediocrity comes so easily and originality / singularity is such a tight rope. I'm hoping pretty badly that Prometheus delivers on story.

I am certainly worried about the Ancient Alien component...but if it's believable and well done, I'll be fine with it. I hope that Ridley approaches Prometheus with as much realism as he did with A L I E N and Blade Runner. In that context...imagine discovering what the crew of Prometheus discovers....how that would affect the science community and the people of earth, the religious community, and every day life....it would be absolutely profound.

I really can't wait for a longer trailer....that's when we'll be able to gage the magnitude that will be Prometheus. I wonder when they'll release another trailer? March would seem a bit too far...almost 3 months?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: deuterium on Dec 27, 2011, 04:00:38 AMSorry to sound like a grinch, but Spaiht's (from what I have read) cannot hold a candle to any number of modern Sci-Fi writers, including Alistair Reynolds, Ian M. Banks, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton, Peter Watts, Charles Stross, etc., etc.

Perhaps Jon Spaihts was just a pen hand for hire at the time, and the reason that the Prometheus script was re-written was because his original script sucked. Taking sub-text and making it text suggests that the text of the early script was either too literal or just downright awful.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 27, 2011, 04:38:32 AMI am certainly worried about the Ancient Alien component...but if it's believable and well done, I'll be fine with it.

Hopefully Ridley Scott's comments about "Avatar raising the bar" don't mean that he is going for spectacle over substance. Nothing wrong with a bit of spectacle of course.

-Chris

The Xenoborg

What references is he making to Avatar?

ChrisPachi

Quote from: The Xenoborg on Dec 27, 2011, 08:59:24 AMWhat references is he making to Avatar?

I don't remember the exact comment, but it was in relation to 3D films and how James Cameron "raised the bar" for science fiction with Avatar. It may of just been in reference to the technology of course.

-Chris

The Xenoborg

That's no reference.
I thought he was going to connect it to the story of Avatar. :o

ChrisPachi

Quote from: The Xenoborg on Dec 27, 2011, 09:08:33 AM
That's no reference.
I thought he was going to connect it to the story of Avatar. :o

Gods no! Just a comment that Scott made back when news that the Alien prequel was being shot in 3D first came out.

-Chris

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Alienseseses on Dec 27, 2011, 04:28:46 AM
Alien's original script wasn't great before it was rewritten, so it might be the same case here.

But it did have some of the most hilarious character names in film history. :D

Kol

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 27, 2011, 08:56:35 AM
Quote from: deuterium on Dec 27, 2011, 04:00:38 AMSorry to sound like a grinch, but Spaiht's (from what I have read) cannot hold a candle to any number of modern Sci-Fi writers, including Alistair Reynolds, Ian M. Banks, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton, Peter Watts, Charles Stross, etc., etc.

Perhaps Jon Spaihts was just a pen hand for hire at the time, and the reason that the Prometheus script was re-written was because his original script sucked. Taking sub-text and making it text suggests that the text of the early script was either too literal or just downright awful.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 27, 2011, 04:38:32 AMI am certainly worried about the Ancient Alien component...but if it's believable and well done, I'll be fine with it.

Hopefully Ridley Scott's comments about "Avatar raising the bar" don't mean that he is going for spectacle over substance. Nothing wrong with a bit of spectacle of course.

-Chris

whoa, hold on. maybe his script was just too directly linked to alien?
and hiring a new guy for the script isn't that unusual; damon lindelof ist taking the part of david peoples in blade runner.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Kol on Dec 27, 2011, 12:26:44 PMwhoa, hold on. maybe his script was just too directly linked to alien?

Yeah, that's why I said "suggests that the text of the early script was [either] too literal..." 8)

-Chris

gooner_no1

Crikey! The Darkest Hour is getting absolutely slaughtered, and Jon Spaihts' script is being singled out a lot in the reviews, one of them describe it as braindead.

I'm confident he was working with duff material to begin with and his contribution was to whip it into coherent shape; on Prometheus he created the spine of the story (as he tells Variety) while Lindelof reworked other aspects.

T Dog

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 27, 2011, 08:56:35 AM

My guess is that Lindelof pushed the whole God angle of the film. Although Ridley had mentioned Gods and Engineers before.
Maybe him and Ridley started talking about Von Daniken. But yes I took Lindelof's role as being a David People's kind of scenario. Especially since Lindelof said he was writing FOR Ridley.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed