Aliens : Killing Floor Mod

Started by Hemi, May 20, 2012, 07:53:17 PM

Author
Aliens : Killing Floor Mod (Read 56,475 times)

Space Sweeper

Holy shit, I just watched the Rooster Teeth guys play Killing Floor for 45 minutes while not knowing what it was, and I must say: this looks awesome.

Salt The Fries

Looks underwhelming and the map which was presented in the video looks like no fun, but I appreciate the amount of work you had to put into it.

PhilHickerson

PhilHickerson

Hemi you guys did a fantastic job on the mod, ignore the whiners here.  There are few things more annoying than people who contribute nothing to the modding community, yet sit back and judge the work of people who do. 

Don't let the ungrateful idiots ruin what you've achieved, and IMO don't waste your time defending your work to them.  Constructive criticism is one thing: crying like a 5 year old because the aliens are too small is another.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Great job guys! Impressed! 8)

Now, like the boring ungrateful I am my only complaint here is indeed the size of the Aliens. I don't know why it is so hard for game developers, as well as modders/fans, to get the size right. Alien adults are supposed to be somewhere around 8ft tall, but in the games they are more like 6ft and a few inches.

Anyways, you guys really did an awesome job with this one. Kudos to you!

Hemi

Hemi

Who said they were all adults though. And camerons aliens were much smaller then the Alien from part 1 or the Runner. The later waves of the mod have the spitter that is bigger then the drones/warriors/runners/riggid, and approaches upright.

Some of you are treating this as a full release of an official alien franchise game with the comments. But you are forgetting this is a mod for a game that does not have aliens in it. Hence we have somewhat limitations in the size area. The aliens are already sticking their heads through walls and doors, because we stretched their size as far as we could.

We will run some tests with bigger size aliens. Its not that this is a problem adjusting, its more a problem of engine and gameplay limitations of the original game. Killing floor does not have enemies that can walk on walls/ceilings etc. , and yet we pulled that off (even though the developers said we couldnt)

The updates for this mod will prob be every month for the next 6 months. Hopefully it will convince some of you to actually play it. :P

chupacabras acheronsis

the animations used in models are very often the cause for aliens looking like runts. but it's a necesary evil if you want them to not look goofy.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Hemi, I am by no means criticizing your work (because I find AKF very impressing indeed). My criticism about small Aliens is not specifically directed at AKF but at Alien /  AVP games in general.

The Runner

The Runner

How many types of Aliens are in this mod?

The Runner

The Runner

Awesome!

You guys ever thought of throwing in Praetorians?

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

I too am impressed with what I've seen. I've already downloaded the RAR file from the website, but I'm stuck. I read the readme file, but it isn't very specific about where to extract the files to and how to get the mod running... I thought I also read about joining the Steam Workshop groups, but I couldn't locate the named groups. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong... any help would be appreciated.

Also wanted to add that this is the most exciting thing (for me) that's come out in recent times save Prometheus, related to Aliens. I'm very excited to try out this mod for an already challenging yet fun game. One other comment... I too would enjoy the idea of Praetorians in the mod. None of the films have ever given them proper justice like AvP/AvP2 for PC.

WinterActual

WinterActual

If you are asking for our WPC group in Steam here it is http://steamcommunity.com/groups/W_P_C

Also I want to say that you are NOT allowed to use the WPC tags in your nickname. I am NOT saying that you were thinking to do it or something, but recently many people who joined the group added the clan tags in their nickname just because they joined the group. And I just wanted to point this out not just for you but for anybody who think to join in the WPC Steam group. You are free to join, chat and play with the Wolves anyways!  ;) Btw you can just join the server and it will download the files for you - here's the IP  207.237.69.11:7725

tinytoonlolaliens

Quote from: Hemi on Dec 02, 2012, 07:07:31 PMcamerons aliens were much smaller then the Alien from part 1 or the Runner.
Really?

+8 foot tall, just like Giger's alien, or like the most recent space jockey from Poopmetheus. (that dude with the jerk face in the photo is around 1'80 meters tall btw, so not a dwarf you know)

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Dec 02, 2012, 07:31:03 PMbut it's a necesary evil if you want them to not look goofy.
The root of the problem, the people who keep thinking that way.

We'll never get to enjoy a true portrayal of the aliens in a game, and how imposing and scary they are, until this pathetically wrong and baseless concept gets finally discarded once and for all. Until then, all we will see will be lolalien toons, like the ones form avp2010, like the ones now in ACM, like this ones from the mod, etc.

BTW Hemi I reinstalled KF and downloaded this mod. I'm having fun for It. I just wanted to express my eternal concern about the aliens portrayal, in the most honest way I could. I certainly thought once you would put an end to the lolaliens. Well I was wrong, but no problem you make this just for fun, and I understand It.

Hemi

Hemi

The Preatorian was actually allready done, but I didnt want it to go live with the release...it wasnt up to par animation-wise. Next update he will return again.  :)

Concerning size. I always thought they felt smaller anyway, in the second movie. We will see what we can do with the engine, sizewise, next update.

tinytoonlolaliens

Quote from: Hemi on Dec 03, 2012, 07:58:31 AMConcerning size. I always thought they felt smaller anyway, in the second movie. We will see what we can do with the engine, sizewise, next update.
Thanks, but remember the problem is not about their size only, but also the way they move (abusing the crawling on the human born alien is just awful; we've got the runner for that already). This last is just as important as their actual size, If not more.

Just don't let yourself be fooled by that totally out of place "making them smaller is a necessary evil" concept. You know that's not true, and also know that's a big part of the problem as well. Same goes to the "sacrifice their size and the way they move for balancing reasons", same awful wrong concept that  has been plaguing the aliens videogames for generations now.

You can find a way to make them incredibly tall as they are and to move on their two. I know It. Also, and talking about the most violent alien class ever seen till date, remember how scary the alien runner can be during those, and I admit It, very few moments It stands on Its two (not just when It is close to you). Imho that should be your main goal when trying to portray this once towering biomechanical horrors. Just don't make them feel like If they were bugs, because they are not.

Wish you the best of luck on this project.

Regards.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed