Who did you care about?

Started by War Wager, Jun 28, 2007, 01:22:54 PM

Author
Who did you care about? (Read 12,924 times)

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

More like the 15th...

darkbladepred

darkbladepred

He may have meant the second character that actualy had name. Quin died, then rusoeau (sp?).

All the characters I liked died:

Weyland- lance henrikson!
Max- tough "I'm gonna kick your arse" guy
Quinn- died while covered in snow! I thought it was a homage to predator at first.
that blonde chick... Rusoeau? (SP)

War Wager

War Wager

Yeah thats what I meant...  ;)

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

Weyland for sure; Henrikson played his part pretty well.  Other than that, I was pretty much rooting for the monsters.

SM

SM

The only characters with any depth to speak of (which wasn't much) were Weyland and Lex.  The scene where they talk about Lex's dad was quite good, unfortunately Weyland was knocked off before he could develop further and Lex was otherwsie utterly boring.

The only other characters that had potential was the relationship between Miller and Verheiden and their role reversal when they're trapped.  Unfortunately the setup for this was utterly f**ked up in the editing room, and the audience was cheated out of any payoff when they're both killed a couple of minutes after being trapped.

Everyone else - Exposition Boy, Hot(ish) Blond Chick, Nerdy Guy With Crush on Blond Chick, Cool Black Guy, Gruff Mining Guy - varied from one-dimensional to forgettable Alien/ Predator fodder.

darkbladepred

darkbladepred

[quote author=SM link=topic=2733.msg39038#msg39038 date=1183077161
The only other characters that had potential was the relationship between Miller and Verheiden and their role reversal when they're trapped.  Unfortunately the setup for this was utterly f**ked up in the editing room, and the audience was cheated out of any payoff when they're both killed a couple of minutes after being trapped.
[/quote]

Can it even be called a setup? Sure the first time I watched the movie I expected a payoff, but was one EVER intended or filmed? I agree it is cheating the audiance.

SM

SM

As far as I know, there was more dialogue scripted earlier on the Piper Maru which starts Verheiden's antagonism towards Miller (and ended up in the novel).  Granted it wasn't great dialogue, but there was something more character focused than what ended up in the film, and might've made more people actually give a shit.  About Miller at least.  Verheiden is an arsehole through and through.  He just turns from an arrogant arsehole into a wussy arsehole when they're trapped.

Had they lived longer Verheiden may have developed some respect for Miller and therefore showed more depth as a character and we might've cared when he carked it

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Now that is poor writing from Anderson. Actually giving character to the characters, he did not.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jun 29, 2007, 01:35:55 AM
Now that is poor writing from Anderson. Actually giving character to the characters, he did not.

I wanted to see more of Adele Rousseau, Agathe de la Boulaye's character...

Usually, in 90-minute action movies, the characters don't usually get a lot of character...

In a movie called 'Aliens versus Predator', humans take a backseat because, although they are needed to make us identify with their ordeals and stuff, the movie is about the clash of these two formidable creatures, NOT the humans...All they'll do is look scared, flee, and die...

In AVP2, the same will happen, even less, because in a horror-like movie, all they do is...

...(U guessed it)...

...Look scared, flee and die...  :D

There is nothing more to it in a movie like this... I actually like when the villainous among the group buys it, like Carter Burke, or Spt. Andrews, or Wren... Can't beat the adrenaline rush there, guys...  ;)

I don't ever expect these crossover movies to have character depth... That is the main difference between these AVP movies and the Alien and Predator ones...The other franchises had it all: character depth, story depth, budget to acquire good, solid actors,...

Maybe the Strauses will be the next James Cameron, David Fincher or Ridley Scott and we sure need more of those...!   8)

aliensetta

aliensetta

I want Grid the Queen and Mr Weyland to live.

SM

SM

QuoteUsually, in 90-minute action movies, the characters don't usually get a lot of character...

The leads should and often do.  Just not in this case.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Indeed, I really loved that beaker stuff from the novel. Another reason I perfer the novel.

SM

SM

Anderson did actually write all that into the script.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

But wasn't in the final film so...

I know they filmed it though.

SM

SM

Yeah I'm just saying it wasn't the hack that is Cerasini.

It was the hack that is Anderson.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed