"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting

Started by TheBATMAN, Feb 17, 2022, 06:45:08 PM

Author
"Near the end of this century we’re in” - FX CEO Landgraf Talks Time Setting (Read 23,682 times)

Local Trouble

This is why we need Blue's expertise.  She has encyclopedic knowledge of all things Hawley.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 20, 2022, 01:29:37 AM
The first season of Fargo (the only one I've seen, mind you) does connect to the Coen Brothers' film:

Spoiler
The money that is buried in the movie resurfaces in the show.
[close]
I can't yet speak for later seasons

The UFO in season two is a reference to another Coen brothers movie called 'The Man Who Wasn't There'.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Basically the later Seasons do not.

And Legion connects to X-Men barely, mostly doing their own thing like, although we get a wink and a nod to Patrick Stewart's incarnation of Professor Charles Xavier once in Season 1, 2 and 3 create their own incarnation better suited to their story, even if tangentially connected to the Fox incarnation.

The nature of the main character changing reality just by existing allows them to have their cake and eat it in that particular way.

But yes so far, Noah Hawley takes the opposite approach of taking every opportunity to remind you something's part of a larger established franchise, with the rarest exception.

Immortan Jonesy

Both, the series and the movie are set in the same universe. However, I'd say the Fargo anthology is kinda more about the Coen's universe as a whole, and not just the Fargo movie, and usually each season includes a "mystery", like the rain of fish in season 1, the UFOs in the second one and a random pagan cult in the third season.

St_Eddie

The connections to the Coen Brothers' filmography in the Fargo TV series are surface level 'member berries and easily the worst part of the show.  Fanboyism at its most pathetic.

BlueMarsalis79

I actually don't agree with that, he does it in such a way that it does not feel like that at all, it's either a core part of the plot, or just connective tissue that makes it feel like it takes place in the same continuity even if it does not focus on it at all.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Well, we will have to agree to disagree then because all I saw was endless cases of "ooohhh, 'member Big Lebowski? Ooohhhhh yeah! I 'member Big Lebowski" and the likes.  I rolled my eyes every single time, which is a shame because when the series was doing its own thing, it was often great.

It also didn't make a great deal of sense that the TV series was set in the same universe as the original Fargo (and apparently every other Coen Brothers film?), given that Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman) was a clear replication of Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy) from the film.  Also, the very notion of tying all of the Coen Brothers' filmography together and making some kind of Marvel-esque CBCU (Coen Brothers Cinematic Universe) fanboy wet dream makes me throw up a little bit of sick within my mouth.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: St_Eddie on Feb 20, 2022, 12:23:37 PM
Well, we will have to agree to disagree then because all I saw was endless cases of "ooohhh, 'member Big Lebowski? Ooohhhhh yeah! I 'member Big Lebowski" and the likes.  I rolled my eyes every single time, which is a shame because when the series was doing its own thing, it was often great.

It also didn't make a great deal of sense that the TV series was set in the same universe as the original Fargo (and apparently every other Coen Brothers film?), given that Lester Nygaard (Martin Freeman) was a clear replication of Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy) from the film.  Also, the very notion of tying all of the Coen Brothers' filmography together and making some kind of Marvel-esque CBCU (Coen Brothers Cinematic Universe) fanboy wet dream makes me throw up a little bit of sick within my mouth.

Being a condescending Dick to people who like what you don't like is much disgusting and pathetic.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 20, 2022, 12:49:20 PM

Being a condescending Dick to people who like what you don't like is much disgusting and pathetic.

How was I being a condescending dick?  I simply gave my two cents on the matter.  The target of my derision was certain creative choices made by those behind the TV show Fargo, not anyone on the forum.  Find one part of my post where I insulted anyone for not sharing my point of view.

Kradan

fanboy wet dream

I guess that's the part that might trigger some people

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 20, 2022, 03:43:12 PM
fanboy wet dream

I see.  I wasn't trying to say that people who liked the references and nods in Fargo are fanboys, rather that the writers were acting like fanboys by including the references and nods in the first place.

Kradan

That's probably the most level-headed response I've ever read. Like, I've had physical enjoyment reading it. Thank you for that

[cancerblack]

This is ridiculously hyperbolic, Jonesy.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: St_Eddie on Feb 20, 2022, 04:13:37 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 20, 2022, 03:43:12 PM
fanboy wet dream

I see.  I wasn't trying to say that people who liked the references and nods in Fargo are fanboys, rather that the writers were acting like fanboys by including the references and nods in the first place.

Sorry if I misunderstood what was said above.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 20, 2022, 07:58:58 PM

This is ridiculously hyperbolic, Jonesy.

Fair enough.

razeak

+1 for making David a fellow that rediscovers the alien.

-1 for what kind of half baked nonsense I fear will make David look way better lol

Either way, I'm excited to see what happens. Would have preferred the Reipley era personally for the aesthetic, but hopefully they don't go too far off the rails.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed