Current/Last Album you listened to was...

Started by Space_Dementia, May 19, 2011, 02:37:51 PM

Author
Current/Last Album you listened to was... (Read 44,634 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime II
You can so tell that only Tate, Stone and session players do this album, even with some great songs.

Bon Jovi - Lost Highway

Queensryche - Mindcrime at the Moore
The Mindcrime II songs sound so much better with the actual band playing them. Rockenfield's drums are so distinctive. Its a much better whole Live

FiorinaFury161

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Mono version, 2007 remaster edition)

Since this was one of my fallen friend's favorite albums, I had to give it a spin on what would have been his 33rd birthday. The Piper has been one of my top 3 Pink Floyd albums, and I just love it from start to finish. LOTS and LOTS of hazy, smoke filled memories with this one :laugh: , so it also touches my heart even more. The mono version is very spacey and echo filled, making this hallucinating album even more bizarre and at points, insane. I can not recommend this album enough, especially if you had some, um, mind altering substances. Those days are over for me, but the music is a trip all in its own. My friends favorite song was The Gnome btw. Mine is probably Bike or Astronomy Domine.

11/10

Rush - Signals

I have to start by saying I am one of the extremely few people who love the keyboard heavy era of Rush. That being said, the opening track, Subdivisions, is my all time favorite Rush song, and is a great great beginning track. Some of the tracks are not very inspiring, but New World Man and the ending track are absolute classics in my eyes.

7/10

HuDaFuK

I've never really got into early Floyd. It's their later stuff that does it for me.

Whiskeybrewer

Finally got round to listening to the original Welcome to my Nightmare by Alice Cooper. Its a great album and much more in vein of the disconnect of some dreams than the sequel. Vincent Price just rules in his appearance

also

Technical Ecstacy by Black Sabbath. Now while this isn't classic Sabbath, its still a good album. Some great songs here and they are all on top of their game, just trying a few different things. Bill Ward's got a good voice as well

HuDaFuK

"Dirty Women" is awesome (apart from the fact it fails to make the most of that incredible riff in its middle section).

Whiskeybrewer

True, it is a great way to close the album. Sometimes that happens I guess

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 01, 2017, 08:39:26 AM
I've never really got into early Floyd. It's their later stuff that does it for me.
Ironically, early Pink Floyd (up to Meddle) is my personal favorite era, however, all eras are great in their own ways. Today's playlist included:

Tears For Fears - Greatest Hits 83-92 10/10

Pink Floyd - Relics

A collection of the singles and Bsides from The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, with a couple of new tracks too. Another great psychedelic treat!
9/10

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets

The first album post Syd Barrett and the introduction of David Gilmour. The album is a major step forward overall, the Gilmour presence is really noted. Another trip-tastic album, with the final track being a nodding farewell by Syd Barrett.
10/10

I think I am just going to go thru the discography now, why not eh?

windebieste

I'd add 'Obscured by Cloud' to that list of early Pink Floyd but it certainly marks a turn around for their work.  More or less anything prior to 'Dark Side of the Moon' has great appeal - everything after that just doesn't interest me. 

I really enjoy the heady spaced out psychedelia of their late '60s / early '70s. 

Lately I've been giving 'The Madcap Laughs' a few rounds in the stereo.  Barrett was such an amazing talent and loopier than a bowl of Singapore noodles; with both qualities clearly present - and balanced - in this album of recordings.  It's a series of one crazed childlike recording after another.  Almost like 'Play School' on an acid trip.

-Windebieste.

Naginata

I'm HTML-stupid, so in lieu of a picture, I'll just say that I listened to the Mothman Prophesies Soundtrack, which is as spooky and awesome as the movie it's derived from.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 02, 2017, 12:00:52 AM
I'd add 'Obscured by Cloud' to that list of early Pink Floyd but it certainly marks a turn around for their work.  More or less anything prior to 'Dark Side of the Moon' has great appeal - everything after that just doesn't interest me. 

I really enjoy the heady spaced out psychedelia of their late '60s / early '70s. 

Lately I've been giving 'The Madcap Laughs' a few rounds in the stereo.  Barrett was such an amazing talent and loopier than a bowl of Singapore noodles; with both qualities clearly present - and balanced - in this album of recordings.  It's a series of one crazed childlike recording after another.  Almost like 'Play School' on an acid trip.

-Windebieste.
That reminds me, I need to open my DVD of La Vallee (soundtrack of Obscured By Cloud)! I also have The More movie, need to watch that again too. Syd's solo work is just nuts, glad he decided to continue for a few albums after PF.

Rush - Grace Under Pressure

No mainstream blockbusters, but many hidden gems, esp. Kid Gloves.
7/10

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (studio album)

Talk about experimental, PF perfects it here. Includes the gem Grandchester Meadows and the one track everyone talks about simply by reading its title:

Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave and Grooving With A Pict

By far my favorite track is The Narrow Way Parts I and II, Gilmour's guitar expertise on full magnificent display in Part I and Richard Wright's eerie yet enticing possessions of his keyboards in Part II. I remember reading that the band really didn't like the album and considered it a disaster, but this fan adores it.
10/10

windebieste

'Ummagumma' is a great double album.   'The Narrow Way' is definitely a great piece.  Well, a great piece in several pieces.  :)

I named one of my old AvP2 maps after it.

-Windebieste.

KiramidHead

I view Dark Side through The Wall as Pink Floyd's best work all around, with The Final Cut a lesser but still pretty good coda. Psychedelia is a tough sell for me in general, so I've never really gotten into their early stuff.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 03, 2017, 04:14:25 AM
'Ummagumma' is a great double album.   'The Narrow Way' is definitely a great piece.  Well, a great piece in several pieces.  :)

I named one of my old AvP2 maps after it.

-Windebieste.
The Narrow Way map... no easy way in or out  :laugh:

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 03, 2017, 04:26:30 AM
I view Dark Side through The Wall as Pink Floyd's best work all around, with The Final Cut a lesser but still pretty good coda. Psychedelia is a tough sell for me in general, so I've never really gotten into their early stuff.
I will say that era was definitely their most appealing and talented era, before Roger and David got public with their personal issues with each other and things got ugly. TDSOTM is and always will be one of the greatest albums ever recorded, and for me that was their beginning of the end. The Wall is, well, great of course, but it just gets a tad boring at times. Anyways...

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (Live Album)

I have reached my all time favorite Pink Floyd album. Recorded in 1969 at Grandchester, this album just blows me away every time I listen to it. This album shows the extreme progression of David Gilmour as the lead guitarist and the band's ability to blend together perfectly in harmony. Every track is an extension of the original version, so there are bonus riffs, solos, and melodies (or in some spots, bizarre melodies). Worthy of a track by track breakdown...

1. Astronomy Domine - Credit given to Syd for writing, this live version is just absolutely perfect. The additional tweeks and keyboards make this one heck of a ride.

2. Careful With That Axe, Eugene - Slower in tempo than the original version, the additional parts and Roger screaming give it a rising comparable to the first vibes of an acid frenzy.

3. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun - Again, the band slows the tempo just a tad and lets atmosphere take over. Gilmour's extra sections and solos make this track unreal to listen to.

4. A Saucerful Of Secrets - An instrumental track worthy of the highest praise. Every instrument is magnified by their player's talents and timing, especially Richard Wright's keyboards and Gilmour's otherworldly petals.

If I had to listen to one album before I died, it would probably be this one. While Genesis (the Gabriel era) will always be my favorite band, both talent wise and overall, nothing I have ever heard will replace this album. Pure Psychodelic Perfection by the masters of psychedelic rock. Listen to this immediately if you have never done so.

Infinity/10

HuDaFuK

I mentioned it before that I'm a complete freak and consider The Division Bell to be my favourite Floyd album :laugh:

I know I've always been in the extreme minority with that, but to me (and not just saying this to justify my opinion :P) Floyd are one of those bands where it doesn't matter which era you like most - they were just incredible and iconic throughout.

FiorinaFury161

The Division Bell is a great album, Momentary Lapse Of Reason is as well. Also agree with your any era comment, Pink Floyd have something for everyone! Got a tad delayed, so...

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

For me, this is the baby steps to their signature sound and movements. The title track is possibly the best on the album, with all parts combining oh so well. Summer 69 was my brother's favorite track, which was saying a lot since he didn't listen to Floyd :laugh:
While I think of it, so many Richard Wright tracks are so awesome (such as Summer 69), his voice is so calming and music so calm and soothing. The final track, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, ironically got listened to early morning on the way to school, and I can't figure out how a band can make bacon frying, water dripping, and juice pouring into rhythms!?! I will also mention the cover of the album is one of my absolute favorites of all genres. So simple and awesome altogether.

11/10

Pink Floyd - Music from the film 'More'

A mix of earlier album tracks with new ones for the film, all of which are fantastic. Cymbaline, A Spanish Piece, Dramatic Theme, and Green is the colour are the best highlights of the album.

10/10

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds (music from the film 'La Vallée')

All new tracks for this film, and boy are they grand. From start to finish it is a hidden masterpiece, especially free four, when you're in, wots... uh the deal, and absolutely curtains are must listens. I need to watch the film, even if there are m/f sex scenes.

11/10

Pink Floyd - Meddle

And we have reached the point where I believe the band not only reached that specific sound they were searching for, but their end of the psychedelic era as well. The iconic beginning track, One Of These Days, is a sure way of the band saying "we are here, we are gonna make music, and we are going to blow your mind while doing so!". Possibly their greatest opening track has everything one could ask for, including only one vocal line: One of these days, I'm gonna chop you into little pieces. The next four tracks go into different feels, especially the hilarious track 'Seamus'. The album concludes with their finest moment (imo), Echoes. This 20+ minute track has me awe inspired every time I listen to it, with some of the most epic and I mean EPIC guitar solos by David Gilmour and eerie moments of what seems like whales communicating by Richard Wright and Gilmour. Goodness golly gee, this album is uncomparable..

12/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed