The AvPGalaxy Quotes Thread

Started by OmegaZilla, Jun 26, 2010, 06:01:54 PM

Author
The AvPGalaxy Quotes Thread (Read 350,875 times)

Sozin

Sozin

That's one hardcore guy.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: MudButt on Feb 06, 2015, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: LazyXeno2002 on Feb 06, 2015, 04:30:44 PM
My live sucks I hate it so much the only good thing in my life is my Games and my Dogs.

Quote from: LazyXeno2002 on Feb 06, 2015, 04:36:52 PM
I do not like any women at all.

Guess that's what the dogs are for...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 08, 2015, 11:00:53 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Apr 08, 2015, 05:05:40 PM
What's interesting is that, while this is something new for a Western audience, other franchises outside of the US, more specifically the Godzilla Franchise, have done these things before, numerous times.

And it would be fantastic if the Alien films could enjoy the same stature, respect, and critical acclaim that the Godzilla movies do.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Omegazilla on Apr 09, 2015, 05:21:22 AM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 08, 2015, 11:00:53 PM
Quote from: NetworkATTH on Apr 08, 2015, 05:05:40 PM
What's interesting is that, while this is something new for a Western audience, other franchises outside of the US, more specifically the Godzilla Franchise, have done these things before, numerous times.

And it would be fantastic if the Alien films could enjoy the same stature, respect, and critical acclaim that the Godzilla movies do.

Godzilla fan...

Lol :D

Doggo33

Doggo33

Pvt. T. Hendrix

QuoteGlad to see you enjoyed it.

- Whoah. A person being decent about the fact that others have opposing opinions. Thanks ;)

Quoteand the ally AI is just the worst.  They're Battlefield: Hardline bad, but with less polish.  I really can't see how anyone can think any of the AI in A:CM is passable pre Bug Hunt.  Even then, the AI isn't particularly good.

- Friendly AI are always that quality. I mean I'm sure you could name a couple of games where the friendly AI is awesome but in general it is the quality f 'Aliens: Colonial Marines'. They go to objectives with you, they shoot things. That's all that's really needed. I've not seen them be glitchy at all or in the way.

QuoteThere have been plenty of times when a alien as killed someone without being silent or stealthy. The alien can kill you with a stealth attack in Isolation, but it wouldn't been a fun game if the alien just hid in the vents majority of the time.  Hearing the alien hunt for you only adds to the trill of you hiding from it and only compliments the superb work put into the sound engine.

- In the films they do not charge and stomp. They are fairly silent even when they're in view. I'm not saying the alien should hide itself constantly. But the stomping is contradictory.
Yeah, I can see that the stomping adds a sense of impending doom, so from the game's perspective, sure it works. But it is nevertheless contradictory.

QuoteThe point of Isolation was to make a game that matches the tone, feeling, and atmosphere of Alien.  Not once did the development team ever say they were trying to recreate the film as a game.  The game is based on the film, but that doesn't mean it will be an exact copy of the film.

As for the guns, they are not in the game to combat the alien.  They are they for the player to fight against humans and androids, both who can be killed by guns.  Making the guns useful to combat the alien would only ruin the flow of the game.  The player is not meant to kill a alien, they're meant to hide from it, distract it, or scare it way.

- Okay, rather promises for the game, than the point. Promises of the game were no guns and one alien.
I didn't say that they said they were trying to create a game of the film. I said like it, as in based on it, as you said.

I know what the guns are for. My complaint isn't that the guns are useless. It is that guns kill aliens (by canon), and in this game that does not happen. Apparantely they are bullet proof now.
Obviously having the guns kill the alien would ruin the flow. That would remove the alien threat of the first 14 missions and lower the threat level later. And in that case, guns should not be in the game. You can't put something in, change the rules of it and then say "oh well if it was done properly it would ruin the game". Well don't nclude the thing then.
A not so great comparison, but I can't think of anything better is if they killed Amanda, that would have also been bad. It might very well have been done awesomely in the game, and worked well for the game, but it contradicts the films, therefore it shouldn't be done.

QuoteHaving the hive and multiple aliens in the game was a brilliant decision.  It was a twist you don't exactly see coming but is hinted out before you make your way down to engineering.  Besides, the player never encounters more than two aliens at once any given time in the game.  So really, how does this make the game over-the-top exactly?

I know quite a bit of people had a problem with how many androids the player has to fight for the small portion of the game, but I didn't have a problem with it.  In either case of there being multiple androids and aliens, I fail to understand how exactly that makes the game silly.  It makes the game more challenging and thrilling.

- No. A good twist would have been that there was a second Alien that appears later, or just one slowly coming out of a vent behind you when you're on a computer, or something like that. Having lots is just a "Oh here we go again" situation. I honestly can't see how you can describe that as a brilliant decision. That moment where you're up in a computer room overlooking the big room with the many androids (near the end of 'The Descent') and all of the aliens are coming up into the bigger room - it's just so cliche and not what that game was supposed to be about.
I just thought it was a cop-out, cliche and cheap decision as opposed to thinking, wow more aliens; what a twist.

The player encounters 2 sometimes, I think 3 at one point, but moments like the one I mentioned above, and later when you're in space and a number of them come for you just makes it so over-the-top; at least that's how I felt.
And really, whether you're meeting one, two, or several at a time, you know there are loads more so it feels less threatening. Less is more.

I don't mind many androids as such because that's a fact of the world - it's a big ship. It has lots of androids. And with the androids having more is simply more challenging as opposed to over-the-top. The one bit I thought was excessive was in 'The Descent' and you have to access the various computers because that was not only very difficult, but stupidly cliche. In real life (obviously it's ficticious blah blah), it would more likely be a case of all of the computers in any order. Not sending you to opposite sides of the room. So that was the one bit I thought was a little excessive. Other than that I think the androids were handled brilliantly in the game. They were often more scary than the aliens. I was playing on the hardest diffuclty too so they were pracitcally invincible (you can't do the quick time events; it's rather a case of using all of your ammo in everything to defeat 1 android and weaken another).

QuoteI admit the facehuggers could have been utilized in a better way, but they certain didn't break the flow or bring the game down in anyway.

- Well in the way that I said, I think they did bring the game down a little. I'd rather they just weren't included. Also, having eggs in the vents really emphasised (to me anyway) that the aliens must carry and place them. I mean that's what you would think by the films if you thought about it, but specifically in the game it made me think about an alien doing that.
On a side note: GIven the many aliens, eggs, and facehuggers, a Queen would have been nice to see. I didn't like initially that the aliens seemigly came from nowhere but I read that it was supposed to be that there was a Queen but they didn't show it: It was a case of, show it and people will expect a boss fight, or don't show it and people will be confused, and they went with the second. I think I would have liked (failing having only one or two aliens) to have seen a glimpse of the Alien Queen, whether that be through a vent, over a ledge, or on a computer.

QuoteAs they always have been able to, as you can see at the end of the first film.  And how does that make them overpowered?  The player never engages them in full combat in space, so their ability to function in space adds no challenge to the game.

- No, see that's debatable. At the end of the first film it is able to cling on to the thruster (or whatever exactly that is), and in the second, the Queen hides in the gaps in the dropship, but I like to think that that is a short time thing. Otherwise it's perfectly feesable to think that the first alien from 'Alien' is floating in space alive, and that situation can be made into a sequel (I really hope that's not done). The idea that they can briefly survive and possibly cocoon up is an interesting one. But the idea that they are fully fucntional I just find silly and over-the-top.

QuoteEither scenario is less believable than what we got with the hive in the game.

- I don't see how.

Quote...and that only happen in the hive and near the end of the game.

- I know and that's the time I'm referring to. Without those last 5 missions it's a good game (obviously a different few mission would have worked; I'm not suggesting it just ends before 'The Descent'). Well I say it's a good game, it still has the issues of the guns and stomping alien, but otherwise it's very enjoyable.

QuoteI agree the ending left a lot to be desired, but it certainly didn't ruin the game.  Isolation certainly did a much better job as an ending than Colonial Marines did, which doesn't resolve anything (unless you got the DLC) and was also clearly provoking a sequel.

- No, the ending alone didn't ruin the game. But it is part of my list of issues.
I would have liked it to have ended like 'Alien' (with Amanda in hypersleep and the alien music playing). That would have been so satisfying and great to see and hear (osibly its own theme instead of 'Alien's would have given it more originality with that same scenario).
I think the 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' ending was fine. It wasn't amazing but it was decent. The final boss battle was a bit rubbish though.
'Aliens vs Predator' (2010) got the open ending idea right. That has a good ending; well, a good 3 endings.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

...This is not the purpose of the thread, mate.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 21, 2018, 11:02:24 PM
I think Fiendishly Inventive is the romantic champ so far.  ;D

They had equipment I can't even begin to touch...

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: EJA on Sep 19, 2019, 02:49:45 PM
I've always had a slight thing for Call, the dropship pilot in ALIENS. Anyone else?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 20, 2021, 11:55:46 AM
And I'm sat here weeping, still waiting for my Bull.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 04, 2021, 04:52:08 PM

So difficult not to run with this.

This thread got pruned heavily and people got banned, but we must remember:

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Looking at this thread just makes me sad about the loss of so many of the old members. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I miss a lot of them, but not all of them for sure anymore, I like people to be nice and cliques do not create a pleasant atmosphere.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 07, 2021, 05:20:53 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Mar 04, 2021, 04:52:08 PM

I don't even want to know the context behind this quote.

"You read it. I thought it was clear?"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed