Black Metal

Started by ManiacButcher, Mar 03, 2010, 11:00:59 PM

Author
Black Metal (Read 23,060 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Wait you dont like/LOVE 'In the Nightside Eclipse'??  :o

Anyway, i always found Agalloch to be a good "gateway" band into the genre, especially this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnk2-Jctg6A

These guys are pretty great too (think i prefer the more atmospheric side of BM anyway):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWqhN5I_5wM

Saith

Saith

I know this question wasn't directed at me but I'm joining in anyway....

For me personally, Wrath of the Tyrant is perhaps the better album.

That said, In the Nightside Eclipse still remains quite the incredible achievement of young musicians and should always be considered a landmark of the genre. It reflects the geographical isolation appropriately and when listened to as whole work the cohesiveness unveils pure musical poetry.
Whilst actively absent Mortiis' lyrics are at least still on offer and considerably his most potent spells at the time conceived, though bass guitar is all but inaudible (exception would be a passage found within The Majesty of the Night Sky).
I believe the mastering is what elevates the albums power and I have never heard a Synth sound that f**king great on a black metal release (sure other bands have better playing or more varied tones whatever, i'm taking the sound) but Judas Iscariot - heaven in flames (1998) certainly comes freakishly f**king close.

Ultimately, Wrath of the Tyrant does (for me) obtain the Raw Essence of Black Metal. The sloppy yet passionate performances of the unique compositions on offer encapsulates it's Era purposefully. A group of youths channelling the past darkness of early Bathory, Hellhammer etc, embedded alongside the 'I don't give a f**k about you' attitude of Punk Rock.
A few albums like this come to mind, obviously A Blaze in the Northern Sky, also Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism. Each of these now reminiscent of the scenes original ideology but a far cry and departure from the paths these bands eventually undertook respectively.

'He is the wind, He is the storm
He is the woods, He is the roots...'

XenoScorcher

XenoScorcher

Not black metal but check out The Faceless. They make futuristic death metal. Great band. Another band I'd recommend is Gigan and their record Quasi-Hallucinogenic Sonic Landscapes.

Magegg

Saith

Saith

Yeah, not too shabby..

Not particularly a fan of Venom, though the influence remains quite clear.

Killer guitar solo! A decent romp overall.

I'd take a shot at this being between 82-84 in which case Hellhammer certainly has the 'edge', yet it's always good to hear worthy shit that has been Buried by Time and Dust.

Thanks!

Quote from: XenoScorcher on Feb 24, 2018, 03:11:41 PM
Not black metal but check out The Faceless. They make futuristic death metal. Great band. Another band I'd recommend is Gigan and their record Quasi-Hallucinogenic Sonic Landscapes.

Well, I gave The Faceless - Planetary Duality (album) a listen. Cheers for the recommendation, I'm not into a lot of Modern Bands at all though I didn't mind this stuff.

Should you find the time and are not already familiar with, some bands from my neck of the woods to check out:

StarGazer- A Merging to the Boundless
Vassafor- The Obsidian Codex
Temple Nightside - Condemnation.

Those last two are deep and dark as the yawning abyss.
Stargazer contains the more esoteric, irregular passages, to be found among their many varied influences.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Check out Portal, Anaal Nathrakh, Deafheaven, Ghost Bath and Winterfylleth for some experimental black metal.

[cancerblack]

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you know that Slayer released God Hates Us All on 9/11/2001?  True story.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Slayer f**king suck

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Not Chaos enough?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Just boring music

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Deicide?  Cannibal Corpse?  Morbid Angel?

Ingwar

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 02, 2019, 07:51:35 AM
Deicide?  Cannibal Corpse?  Morbid Angel?

Significantly more fun, but none are favourites of mine. More of a Nile and Leviathan guy. 

Ingwar

Ingwar

Mgła (Eng. fog) is as black as the blackest coffee (without milk). Nihilism at its best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINcxA29QEE

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed