Could AVP:R Have Been Better With A Bigger Budget?

Started by The Runner, Mar 26, 2019, 02:59:46 AM

Author
Could AVP:R Have Been Better With A Bigger Budget? (Read 13,988 times)

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 21, 2020, 09:50:49 PM
Shane Black has answered the OP's question. The Predator is a movie similar to AVPR but with a bigger budget. Now ... What did we learn from this? the same thing that we already knew...you can have all the money in the world and yet your movie is meant to be trash if you don't have a good story to tell to begin with. I guess there were not great references to inspire neither of both or they weren't skillful enough to use them  :P

But I think The Predator is a little better than AvPR because it had better actors. So, YES with a bigger budget AvPR could had better actors and better movie.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidleyScott99 on Apr 01, 2020, 09:03:54 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 21, 2020, 09:50:49 PM
Shane Black has answered the OP's question. The Predator is a movie similar to AVPR but with a bigger budget. Now ... What did we learn from this? the same thing that we already knew...you can have all the money in the world and yet your movie is meant to be trash if you don't have a good story to tell to begin with. I guess there were not great references to inspire neither of both or they weren't skillful enough to use them  :P

But I think The Predator is a little better than AvPR because it had better actors. So, YES with a bigger budget AvPR could had better actors and better movie.

Just the casting of Edward James Olmos in The Predator makes it better!

;D

Huggs

It certainly couldn't have hurt.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 01, 2020, 10:53:33 PM
It certainly couldn't have hurt.

~ Psst. He was casted. His scenes were cut. ~
:)

Huggs

OpenMaw

Budget wasn't really the issue there. The script, from inception, was hot garbage. Re-read SiL's commentary on the script if you need an insight on where things started.

Fox really shot themselves in the foot with their directives to script a story set in small town America. That just soils everything else. I have no love for the first AvP, but at least Paul had the sense to put it literally out in the Arctic wastelands so that it could be buried and isolated and not jack up continuity. I'll give it that. Even though the Predators should have said "f*** that, it's too cold to be hunting."

Unlike other people i'm not against aliens on Earth. I'd prefer a big budget movie with Colonial Marines, Predators, Aliens. An animated 1:1 recreation of the original comic series would be great, too. Something in the style of the Starship Troopers animated films. That'd be dope, as long as they got really good voice talent.

However, Shane Salerno's original idea of having the ship crash in Afghanistan with Spec Ops guys getting in between Aliens and Predators had more potential to at least be viscerally entertaining. A half dozen interesting soldier characters, some clever use of location shooting. That would have made a far better AVP 2. Also, having it set in a backwater area of a war-torn country with only spec ops involved eliminates some of the issues that an Earth bound story brings to the table. IE nobody should have common knowledge of aliens.

Honestly, it's an idea I want to see taken to task. One of the comics went on to explore the idea of modern soldiers in a warzone facing down aliens and predators: AVP: Sand Trap.

You could do that story with the same budget. Get some decent b-movie actors in there, get the right modern military gear, find some rocky/mountainous/forest areas to film and there ya go. You could have the team there for other reasons. Maybe it's a Delta Unit on a rescue operation like the original Predator - only it turns out the VIP they're on a mission to rescue is actually "Ms. Yutani" and there's a clandestine attempt to capture the Predator in the works, only the alien, and the Predator's desire to hunt it, gets in the way. It's something I plan to explore in a script of my own.

But to answer the threads question specifically. No, I don't think more money would have made AvP:R better. There was no way to improve dialogue like "People are dying. We need guns." Not even the greats could have really done much to elevate the poor script.

Jigsaw85

They needed a new script from the get-go. we need this set in the far future, but if you're talking about this specific idea of Aliens and Predators in a small town then maybe it could have worked on some level.  I read Shane Salerno's first draft of the script, and it's still bad but it's way better than what we got. here's a few things that I liked:

1. The predalien gets in a fight with a few Predators and out of desperation, one of the predators fires his plasma caster, causing the ship to crash. Makes a lot more sense than just shooting randomly like an idiot, like he did in the movie.

2. The Predalien actually gets killed right then and there and the surviving predator activates a distress signal on the ship's computer, not his gauntlet. This is great because now we don't have to put up with the egg barfing crap, and the predator actually has no idea the aliens escaped until one kills him, so it makes sense why he didn't just blow himself up, right then and there.

3. Wolf shows up only because he was passing by and intercepted the distress signal. and get this: he looks at the security recordings and sees ONE ALIEN killing the last predator and decides to go after it. this would have made for a better movie. one alien vs one predator.

4. the human characters are given more screen time and character development, not much but with a little tweeking here and there I might have actually cared if they lived or died.

5. Wolf doesn't kill a single alien until he gets to the Alien in the high school. and get this: the Alien is actually aware of his presence and turns to fight him in an epic one on one. WOW, an Alien that can actually fight a Predator? is that legal? ::)

6. we get a greater sense of the town's community: who knows who, how each character feels about the other. I mean it ain't much but if they had to go for this small town setting, it'd be nice if it actually felt like a small town community where everybody knows each other.

7. The script describes the Aliens as being absolutely brutal in their killings: tearing people apart, ripping them in half. Actual intimidating aliens.

8. The script describes the town as being constantly covered in fog. How cool would it have been to see Aliens and Predators in heavy fog?

9. The best part of the whole script is the part where Wolf: the "elite" predator, the most "badass" predator of all time, faces three Aliens like a boss and then.......immediately gets his ass ripped apart, limb from limb, piece by bloody piece. and I'm sitting there like:

Damn, it's almost like having one predator fighting a bunch of aliens in an Alien vs Predator movie is an unbelievably stupid idea. ;)

If they had added a few more predators, developed the characters more, actually had some nice atmospheric shots and cinematography. this could have been on the level of John Carpenter's The Fog, at least. A B-movie, but a decent one. and I don't see how the budget would have affected any of this. Some of the best horror movies have been done with less money than what AVPR had.

Kradan

So if this would've veen made we'd had to deal not only with everything being dark but with everything covered in fog, too ? It would've been Abstract Painting: The Movie

Jigsaw85

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 02, 2021, 06:14:06 AM
So if this would've veen made we'd had to deal not only with everything being dark but with everything covered in fog, too ? It would've been Abstract Painting: The Movie

That's why I specified IF it had some nice atmospheric shots and cinematography.

Kradan

I'm just kidding. No offence  ;)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Like other people have pointed out already: No. The script is just too crappy to magically transform into a shining piece of sci-fi action cinema.

However, I do think that a bigger budget could've made the movie more tolerable to watch. For example, more money to improve the lighting in the movie would've been nice. With a bigger budget they could've set the movie in outer space on some backwater colony, and the national guard / army could've been exchanged for Colonial Marines. The movie would've still sucked, but the bells and whistles, smoke and mirrors would've made the pony show "worth" watching on the same level as AvP and Predators.

Then on the other hand you have The Predator, which is arguable as bad, if not worse, than AvP:R, and the budget of that one was pretty decent.

So maybe not... Then on the other hand everyone loves Colonial Marines, so with a bunch of APCs, Dropships, Exosuits and pulse rifle toting Vasquez & Hudson carbon copies and wannabes ready to shoot up some xenos and preds, the movie might've actually gotten a free pass.

BigDaddyJohn

The answer in no with the same script and directors.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 03, 2021, 04:55:42 PM

I think a bigger budget would've made AvP:R more fun to watch though. A space colony small town-like setting, colonial marines, androids, maybe an exosuit or two etc. would've definitely "elevated" the movie on a superficial level at least. Maybe fix the lightning so we can see what is going.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 04, 2021, 04:24:54 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jan 03, 2021, 04:55:42 PM

I think a bigger budget would've made AvP:R more fun to watch though. A space colony small town-like setting, colonial marines, androids, maybe an exosuit or two etc. would've definitely "elevated" the movie on a superficial level at least. Maybe fix the lightning so we can see what is going.

But then the script would have been different. I would've dig a different setting though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed