Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 71,077 times)

Rambo

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 19, 2020, 06:49:33 PM
Quote from: Rambo on Jul 19, 2020, 06:11:42 PM
I wonder what Marvel's habits have been around releasing copious variant covers (thinking of Archie/Predator II) and bonus comics with games, home video releases, conventions and figure. It's only a minor piece of the landscape moving forward, as long as we get good content, but I was never a fan of the excessive variant covers. I do enjoy a limited release bonus comic though. I'm sure it varies by each of their series, hopefully they are creative.
If I remember correctly, wasn't it AVP that started the whole variant covers thing?  I may be mistaken, but the first time I recall seeing variant covers was Dark Horse Presents #36 - the issue where Aliens and Predators first come together...
Yeah that was the first one for DH's A/P lines. There has been no rhyme or reason to the variants for the series of the last ten years, other than there being over 75 of them. Changes it from a novelty to a commodity

Perfect-Organism

Was DH really the leader in this?  I can't recall marvel doing it before DH.  I've been reading marvel since I was a kid..

lightsyder

I know the in 90s new X-Men and Spider-Man titles had quite a few variant covers

Perfect-Organism

Dark Horse Presents #36 came out on February 01, 1990.

Wow, 30 years of AVP!

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 19, 2020, 06:15:26 AM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 18, 2020, 10:34:15 PM
There was a discussion of crossovers. Here's a list I found:

https://www.cbr.com/aliens-xenomorphs-comics-crossovers/

Includes Buffy crossover, no sign of Galaxy Quest crossover.

It wasn't really a crossover. More an appearance.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=63329.0

I see. Thanks.

TC

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 19, 2020, 03:50:31 PM
Quote from: TC on Jul 19, 2020, 03:34:01 PM
The model I'm thinking of is the Planet of the Apes franchise. I have a nostalgic liking for the original films (the ones starring Roddy McDowell) and continue to watch them on blu-ray. But the reboot versions with Andy Serkis are pretty fantastic too. To me, they co-exist together very well.
TC

They do? It's like having two Ripleys. They feature two totally different Caesars. And how do you reconcile contrasts like the Apes being used as menial human slaves in the original films only to rise up and conquer over their captors, versus what we got in the new films?

Oh. I can see that in my brevity I didn't do a good job of explaining myself. Particularly the line "To me, they co-exist together very well."

I simply meant that they sit together on my shelf, side by side, and I enjoy them both equally. What I did not mean was that they seamlessly mesh together in the same story universe. Far from it, in fact.

And that's my point. When you reboot something from scratch you leave everything in the original version intact. That's what I'm saying is more respectful than to expunge from existence your least favourite children. (Even if Fincher would have it that way LOL ).

By the way, I'm leaving out of my considerations the Tim Burton remake.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 19, 2020, 04:38:48 PM
I can't imagine anyone doing a remake of Aliens or Alien for that matter that would be better than the originals.  Parts 3 and 4 are distant bronze medal finalists compared to the original two.  Those first two films are among the best films ever made by humanity, in any genre.

We're all fans here so a bit of impassioned hyperbole is acceptable. So yes: I agree  ;)

But see below:

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 19, 2020, 04:38:48 PM
but the odds of success in terms of actually being better than the originals would be slim to none.

As long as the metric for doing a reboot is "better than the originals," you might have a point. But sometimes two artistic interpretations are so different they really can't be compared.

Back to Planet of the Apes for my example: The originals have a significant amount of whimsy and on-the-nose satire (especially the first one) that give them a distinct flavour that I've always enjoyed. Whereas the reboots have a darker, more ominous sense of doom running all through them. I like that too. Is one interpretation better than the other? I don't think so. Not to me, anyway.

And what of Alien, what would such a reboot look like? I have ideas, but the key thing is that the xenomorph concept remains intact. That's the only critical thing. Of secondary importance would be the theme of corporate malfeasance, and thirdly, developments in android technology (although this idea is being thoroughly thrashed on screens everywhere right now, so maybe drop that).

In the Planet of the Apes reboot, there's no sign of a Taylor, a Zira or a Cornelius. So a new Alien might not even feature a Ripley, a Newt or the Colonial Marines (or the Engineers for that matter). The core concept of the xenomorph and its predatory, parasitic life cycle has to be there, but the actual narrative would be completely different.

Anyway, as you were, gentlemen.

Back to comic books...

TC

Katanu

Since the Essential comics collection  from Dark Horse was cancelled, I hope Marvel releases the Dark Horse material in Epic collections like they did with Star Wars.

Lost_Hunter

Good podcast guys, it's great to have these to listen to, now more than ever. Looking forward to the next one.

I read alot of comics, alot. I don't care who publishes them, as long as they're good. I'm all for having new guests on the podcast but a Marvel guy is going to say this merge is a great idea because he's drinking the cool-aid. Marvel has put out some of the best books ever, no doubt. They are also guilty of flooding the market with shit.

It's still too early to tell what direction they're going. It's almost a guarantee that we won't get any brutal or psychosexual reads like Bad Blood or Labyrinth. They have put out some awesome titles under the Max label. We'll see here's hoping.

When they snatched Conan and Star Wars both reboots started relatively strong but safe. Both series took a nosedive soon after the first run. Does Darth Vader need a sidekick? Does Conan need a Machine Gun to be interesting? Terrible.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to new stories but I am cautious. Darkhorse, you have done a great job expanding the universe. There were years where that was all we had to look forward to and Marvel can't take those stories and memories away. You will be missed. Can Marvel live up to the challenge? Only time will tell.

EJA

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Jul 20, 2020, 04:21:23 PM
Good podcast guys, it's great to have these to listen to, now more than ever. Looking forward to the next one.

I read alot of comics, alot. I don't care who publishes them, as long as they're good. I'm all for having new guests on the podcast but a Marvel guy is going to say this merge is a great idea because he's drinking the cool-aid. Marvel has put out some of the best books ever, no doubt. They are also guilty of flooding the market with shit.

It's still too early to tell what direction they're going. It's almost a guarantee that we won't get any brutal or psychosexual reads like Bad Blood or Labyrinth. They have put out some awesome titles under the Max label. We'll see here's hoping.

When they snatched Conan and Star Wars both reboots started relatively strong but safe. Both series took a nosedive soon after the first run. Does Darth Vader need a sidekick? Does Conan need a Machine Gun to be interesting? Terrible.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to new stories but I am cautious. Darkhorse, you have done a great job expanding the universe. There were years where that was all we had to look forward to and Marvel can't take those stories and memories away. You will be missed. Can Marvel live up to the challenge? Only time will tell.

I can't speak for Star Wars, but I've actually quite enjoyed Marvel's tales of Conan in the modern era.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Jul 20, 2020, 04:21:23 PM

Going to force myself to be optimistic.  :)

Perfect-Organism

Good podcast.  Very interesting.

Corporal Hicks... with the F-bombs!  Wow!  Is the whole Marvel thing that under your skin?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 20, 2020, 10:48:32 PM
Good podcast.  Very interesting.

Corporal Hicks... with the F-bombs!  Wow!  Is the whole Marvel thing that under your skin?

Remember to do a shot for every Hicks F-bomb!

Xiggz456

Solid podcast guys! The point that really resonates with me is that as the largest comic publisher, Marvel not only has the access to the top talent but they also have the marketing tools to promote the comics. I really think the properties are going to sell more issues under Marvel. The EU reboot is the main thing I'm still uncertain of as the novels have had some crossover with the recent comics and it seems the novel license is safe. Which begs the question: where is the line drawn in regards to a reboot? Only time will tell.

Kimarhi

Dark horse kinda rebooted itself with the alien canology, so I don't really see why it matters about marvel doing the same.

Xiggz456

It doesn't. I'm only questioning if the reboot will include some of the novels as they tie into some of the newer comics. Specifically "Prototype" which came out last year and has Zula as the main character.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed