Neill Blomkamp Q&A: Director talks Alien reboot

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Feb 25, 2015, 03:32:48 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Q&A: Director talks Alien reboot (Read 23,621 times)

Nightmare Asylum

QuoteENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So how did you arrive at wanting to do this Alien movie? And did it have anything to do with having Sigourney Weaver play a supporting part in Chappie?

NEILL BLOMKAMP: It did have to do with having Sigourney on Chappie. It's just something that I've always wanted to one day be a part of. Those first two [Alien] films are probably my favorite films ever made. I didn't know if it would ever happen. I just always wanted to participate in it if I was able to.

Over the years, I came up with a story for a film in that universe that I wanted to make. And then when I talked to her about her experience making those films and what she thought about Ripley and everything else, it informed and changed the film I wanted to make into something different.

It just sort of stuck with me. A year later, when post-production was winding down on Chappie, I started fleshing out the idea for a film that would contain Sigourney. Fox never knew. I just worked on it when I could. Before I knew it, I had this really awesome film with a lot of artwork and a lot of backstory. And then I didn't know whether I was going to make it or not. So I just kind of sat on it for a while.

You mean, you showed your treatment to Fox and they sat on it?

No, Fox was keen from the moment I showed it to them. They didn't even know I was working on it. I just wanted to make sure that—any big studio film, I want to know that it's the right choice for me. So I just kind of sat on it for a while.

I would imagine after the Halo experience, you'd be wary of joining a big franchise like that. Plus, it seems like you personally get frustrated with the whole Hollywood studio system. So something like this could have the potential to really aggravate you.

Yeah, but it feels cool now. So far, Fox seems really, really cool. So I'm really excited. The movie itself is so wicked.

So do you have script? A treatment? How far along is it?

Mmm, I can't say! I can't get into it too much.

In terms of the writing, was that concurrent to shooting Chappie in 2013?

No, that was way later. It was in post-production on Chappie, the second half of 2014.

Anything else we can say about this? Presumably, it takes place after the events in Prometheus.

No, no. I want to keep it on hyper-lockdown. It's early yet. It's Chappie time.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/24/neill-blomkamp-alien-chappie-qa

marrerom

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 25, 2015, 03:32:48 AM
I started fleshing out the idea for a film that would contain Sigourney.

Its confirmed ripely will be in it now, although it was pretty much a guarantee from the start.  I wish he would lets some plot points drop. Those concept art images might be from his original idea of the film before he rewrote it after talking to Weaver. If that's the case then we really have no clue what the film will contain.

Nightmare Asylum

I wouldn't expect any big plot points to drop anytime soon. Even if he could let something slip with Fox's approval, his mind seems to be totally on Chappie right now which is perfectly understandable.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 25, 2015, 03:50:39 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 25, 2015, 03:32:48 AM
I started fleshing out the idea for a film that would contain Sigourney.

Its confirmed ripely will be in it now, although it was pretty much a guarantee from the start.  I wish he would lets some plot points drop. Those concept art images might be from his original idea of the film before he rewrote it after talking to Weaver. If that's the case then we really have no clue what the film will contain.
Yeah he said he changed some stuff after talking to her. But he keeps saying how he loved the first two. So I'm thinking he just changed his mind about the bio/exo suit thing but not the possible Hicks comeback.

whiterabbit

I'm still not buying a ticket to see chappie.

evolution_rex

So, it seems that Ripley will definitely end up in the movie.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 25, 2015, 03:50:39 AM
Its confirmed ripely will be in it now, although it was pretty much a guarantee from the start.

Kind of jumping the gun a little bit don't you think? I mean I'm sure he had written it in mind with her to be in it but so far nothing is concrete. Kind of like how Rodriguez wrote PREDATORS in mind for Arnold but nothing came of it. I think it would be a good idea to wait until casting has been announced. But it's not unreasonable to assume she'll be in it.

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 25, 2015, 04:12:50 AM
Yeah he said he changed some stuff after talking to her. But he keeps saying how he loved the first two. So I'm thinking he just changed his mind about the bio/exo suit thing but not the possible Hicks comeback.

Whatever was changed, we don't know but I will say this.. If the Hick comeback is something confirmed later on, well... I wouldn't know what to say to that. I really don't know.

Born Of Cold Light

I wonder if elements of the comics will be brought in.  I mean, I do not want to see an adaptation of Earth War but some things might be cool like Newt's dreams.

PsyKore

I assume Sigourney would have talked about giving proper closure for Ripley, like she's mentioned in recent interviews. If that's the case, then the movie would have to lead off from Resurrection, wouldn't it?

GQSioux

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 25, 2015, 06:01:22 AM
I assume Sigourney would have talked about giving proper closure for Ripley, like she's mentioned in recent interviews. If that's the case, then the movie would have to lead off from Resurrection, wouldn't it?

That's what I am hoping for!!

oduodu

neil seems like a great guy.

what is the consensus regarding him ?? is he a good director ??

heart seems in the right place.

Corporal Hicks

That's what I'm hoping for. Weaver has spoke about giving Ripley proper closure for sometime now and to be perfectly honest, that's what I feel the franchise needs to most. Then it can move on to something new without having to retcon everything.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 25, 2015, 08:24:37 AM

That's what I'm hoping for. Weaver has spoke about giving Ripley proper closure for sometime now and to be perfectly honest, that's what I feel the franchise needs to most. Then it can move on to something new without having to retcon everything.
Yes, this is exactly what is needed. Wrap it in a neat little bow. Still I wonder, what would they... I mean she'd probably have to go looking for some aliens, right?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 25, 2015, 06:22:37 AMThat's what I am hoping for!!

+1

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 25, 2015, 08:23:08 AMneil seems like a great guy.

heart seems in the right place.

I like him. I've said several times over the last few days how District 9 is my favourite movie from the last decade. Absolutely brilliant film. I also really liked Elysium, although visuals aside it was a much more of a generic action film without the extra special something that took District 9 above and beyond. I haven't honestly looked into Chappie much, but I'm planning on seeing it and I saw a trailer last night that piqued my interest.

As for him personally, he does come across as a really decent bloke.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 25, 2015, 08:23:08 AM
His first feature got 4 Oscar noms.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 25, 2015, 10:52:57 AM
I haven't honestly looked into Chappie much, but I'm planning on seeing it and I saw a trailer last night that piqued my interest.
Your one-stop Chappie shop: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=47528.0

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed