J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Dec 11, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien" (Read 48,159 times)

FenGiddel

Rinzler's books have staying power...given their topics. Y'all should have plenty of opportunity to grab a copy some fine day.  ;)

Elmazalman

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 04, 2019, 03:21:31 PM
Not seeing much discussion going on for this one. Anyone else been reading through? Any specific revelations?
There's an interesting bit of info I came across on my initial look. A breakaway prop computer terminal or wall (I've forgotten which one now) was constructed for Ian Holm/Ash to sink his fist into (see comic book & novelisation) - a demonstration of robot strength.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 05, 2019, 12:37:00 AM
Elmazalman will tell you to just buy several copies!
I'm glad I did!

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Not seeing much discussion going on for this one. Anyone else been reading through? Any specific revelations?

The red planet concept after the first draft referenced Petra as the design of the Alien homeworld, you can see this also in Alien Covenant. Most probably a nod to the developing original script.

The Old One

The Old One

Interesting, I wonder if it's going to ever be utilised, as a location.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: muthur9000 on Sep 10, 2019, 10:36:39 PM

The red planet concept after the first draft referenced Petra as the design of the Alien homeworld, you can see this also in Alien Covenant. Most probably a nod to the developing original script.

Yes! I thought of you when I read that. That was interesting connection.

The Old One

The Old One

I just hope we see the artificial planet one day, or a numerous amount of it turns out a great deal of worlds don't respond favourably to terraforming.

T Dog

T Dog

Hicks, how does this book compare to Alien:Vault? I quite enjoyed that a few years back.

Elmazalman

Quote from: T Dog on Sep 15, 2019, 11:51:09 AM
Hicks, how does this book compare to Alien:Vault? I quite enjoyed that a few years back.
I own both books. This is much better!

Corporal Hicks

I second Elmazalman above. From what I remember of Vault, I enjoyed it having a more personal feel to it, but in terms of the actual behind-the-scenes information Making Of just knocks everything else released out. It's by and far the most exhaustive released so far.

Corporal Hicks

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/j-w-rinzlers-making-of-alien/

I loved it. Best behind-the-scenes look we've had so far.

Darkness

Better than Alien Vault or Alien The Archive?

What Giger Diaries were you referring to?

Corporal Hicks

Mr. Clemens

Great review, I agree on every point. But you've got the author's name as "J. R. Rinzler" a few times in there... just sayin'.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Ooops. Twice. I kept doing it, though.  ;D I kept thinking of JR Bourne from Stargate. Thanks for the heads-up.

Darkness

Why's it so expensive? Are you doing a review?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed