Ask Jeff VanderMeer

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 16, 2008, 09:02:44 AM

Author
Ask Jeff VanderMeer (Read 43,995 times)

War Wager

War Wager

Haha, not that much inhertance, I mean about their envioroment. Kane's Son navigated the Nostromo pretty well, as did the creatures in 'Aliens' and 'Alien3'.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Eh, I dunno if that was really because of interitence of memories, or if it was instinct based on the Alien's natural abilities. The Alien in 'Alien3' knew how to get around in the air vents and shafts and whatnot quite well, and I doubt Spike (or an ox) had ever been in those areas.
However, if you had a cougar that knew how to climb on walls and was angry and hungry, I imagine it'd have gotten around just as well, memories or not.

Predboy

Predboy

Quote from: JeffVanderMeer on Dec 17, 2008, 10:20:25 PM
I really don't. I tend to like the franchises separate, but I did like the first AvP movie. Thought the second one sucked.

Believe me, your not the only one. :D

War Wager

War Wager

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 21, 2008, 09:46:55 PM
Eh, I dunno if that was really because of interitence of memories, or if it was instinct based on the Alien's natural abilities. The Alien in 'Alien3' knew how to get around in the air vents and shafts and whatnot quite well, and I doubt Spike (or an ox) had ever been in those areas.
However, if you had a cougar that knew how to climb on walls and was angry and hungry, I imagine it'd have gotten around just as well, memories or not.

When the Alien goes after David in 'Alien3', and he manages to close the door in time, the thing appears right behind him minutes later. I'm sure Spike would have known those corridors pretty well.

SiL

SiL

Why?

The dog had a cameo role in three scenes. There's no indication it would have ever gone out into the ducts, let alone known them well.

On top of that, the Alien came down behind David via the vents. You think Spike would've known them well?

War Wager

War Wager

He could have. It's all about personal opinions I guess, it works for me.

SiL

SiL

Yeah, but evidence points to the contrary.

Namely, AvP. Those Aliens were getting around the pyramid just fine, even with it shifting every ten minutes. The humans had only seen the place for little bit before being hugged, and had no idea of the layout.

dachande89

dachande89

You guys are thinking about this "sight" concept in a much too limited perspective. Possibly the Aliens could get information on layouts of the area from their host's memories, but I think that is a bit off. You're judging their comprehensions of these sites by a visual memory alone. Aliens have no visible eyes (just the eye sockets within the skull). They could be using all kinds of different body systems to "see" the layout of the area. Scents, Echoic signals, mental communication signals, w/e. I believe there is far more than simply sight to how these magnificent beasts understand their surroundings. And I know they have at least some kind of mental communication frequency, due to the fact that the Queen can communicate with them, and not have to scream anything (as seen in Aliens). There is far too much complexity to their body structure, to limit them to only one kind of "sight".

Predboy

Predboy

Its funny how no matter what you do or how hard you try, people will always find a way to go off topic. :D

dachande89

dachande89

Sorry just had to make the comment, and it did sorta go on into a rant.

Predboy

Predboy

Dont be sorry, we all go off topic all the time....ALL the time, trust me. You just gotta be sure not to make 3 pages talking about something thats completly different from the topic. ;)

War Wager

War Wager

I'm sure Jeff's taking in all this ranting.

dachande89

dachande89

Well the man's novel was phenomenal. I'm hoping to be that good writing my Alien story. Wanted to propose the concept to Dark Horse, but if it's unsolicited, they will not read it.

felix

felix

Jeff, have you heard from Dark Horse if there are any upcoming Predator novel projects in 2009?

Just curious.

JeffVanderMeer

JeffVanderMeer

Hey--sorry. I was offline for the holidays.

My understanding--and don't quote me--is that DH is in the process of going back to 20th Century Fox for the right to do more in the Aliens and Predator series, novel-wise. I guess they buy a certain number of rights to do books at a time.

Cheers, and happy holidays!

Jeff

PS Dachande98--thanks much for the compliment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed