Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay?

Started by Dowly, Apr 04, 2012, 06:56:50 PM

Alien will be played from third-person view. What's your take on it?

Good idea!
53 (45.3%)
No, stick to 1st person view.
47 (40.2%)
I don't care.
17 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author
Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay? (Read 25,298 times)

newbeing

So seeing people play the game at PAX I feel like the 3rd Person is a good choice for a few reasons. The main one being the disorientation factor is certainly decreased. As I sort of imagined transitioning from the floor to the ceiling looks similar to the catwoman gameplay in Batman: AA where catwoman is upside down, but the camera remains right side up.

The second reason why it works well is because it gives the Alien player a much wider field of view. This allows the Alien to see more marines on the screen at one time, which is useful when planning attacks and navigating areas where there might be a lot of Aliens around you. 

Reason 3 is that its just kind of cool to be able to see yourself playing the Alien.

Understand that I also love the first person view when playing as an Alien, but the more I saw of the gameplay the more it made sense and grew on me.

Predaker

Thanks a bunch for sharing your impressions!

I have not played yet but i would love to see 3rd person view. It adds something different, unique, and original. Also i want to see the aliens  ;D

Chris!(($$))!

Did they mention when Xeno gameplay would go public for those of us who could not attend Pax?

Vepariga

I'm not opposed to a 3rd Person view. Least it gives us a good look at the model and combat animation. Being in 3rd person veiw also gives the Alien more opportunity for different move sets that dont look as good in FP mode,such as grapples.

Husky

Husky

Newbeing hit the nail on the head. I agree with his points. At first, I was concerned about the immersion, but after seeing it in person, I am glad that Gearbox has done it in 3rd person.  As he points out - there are so many things you can do with the camera in 3rd person that just wouldn't be as effective in 1st person.

Probably the biggest sticking point is the aid to teamwork that Newbs mentioned. I think that really helps the xeno players plan out attacks and encourages a team work approach.

I feel like it's a great counterpoint to the marines being able to use the motion tracker. the two act to balance one another from a gameplay perspective.

All I'd say is wait to reserve judgement until you get a chance to see it in action. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it will appeal to a very wide range of players.

RagingDragon

Another thing that third-person camera helps with is melee combat.  In Skyrim, at least, I have a much easier time fighting hand-to-hand when I go third person, because you can more accurately judge your distance from the enemy while being able to keep track of them when they move outside of your characters field of view.

Le Celticant

For everything that is melee combat, it is probably a bit better.
But for everything that concers movements & travels, this is just horrible IMO.
I can't even imagine doing the wallwalk things I'm used to do in AVP2 / AVP2010 by moving constantly off the floor in 3rd person.

Predator890

It sounds really good on paper, but in reality it would be more clunky than a first-person...

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 08, 2012, 07:34:49 PM
I can't even imagine doing the wallwalk things I'm used to do in AVP2 / AVP2010 by moving constantly off the floor in 3rd person.

Well its a good thing this isn't AvP. In Dead Space 2 it is relatively easy to play as the Lurker in Multiplayer and I highly doubt they invested as much time with the Lurker as they are with the Xenos in A:CM.

Predaker

The camera does not flip when the alien is on ceilings, I heard. It zooms into first person view when in vents, tight spaces, etc.

Personally I think it works to the advantage of the aliens, since they will naturally have a wider field of view in 3rd person mode.

Time will tell...  ;D

Le Celticant

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Apr 08, 2012, 08:48:14 PM

Well its a good thing this isn't AvP. In Dead Space 2 it is relatively easy to play as the Lurker in Multiplayer and I highly doubt they invested as much time with the Lurker as they are with the Xenos in A:CM.

I've never heard of Dead Space 2 MP before you mentioned it (I feel bad XD)
Just saw a couple videos from the lurker.
It is horrible to wallwalk with as I said.
And it also result to the fact that most video gameplay just don't use as much as they should wallwalk.
The problem is the total disorientation in 3rd person and while performing wallwalk, it's the first thing you don't want to.

PVTDukeMorrison

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 08, 2012, 10:08:47 PM

Apparently the 3rd person plays out more like catwoman from Arkham City then lurkers from DS2

And it also result to the fact that most video gameplay just don't use as much as they should wallwalk.
The problem is the total disorientation in 3rd person and while performing wallwalk, it's the first thing you don't want to.

Le Celticant

Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Apr 08, 2012, 10:14:03 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 08, 2012, 10:08:47 PM

Apparently the 3rd person plays out more like catwoman from Arkham City then lurkers from DS2

It's not like there were many differences apart Camera movement.
And having the camera always from ground perspective is even more annoying  :D

chupacabras acheronsis

there should be te choice to switch between both perspectives at any time. not like we would run out of buttons for it anyways.

Le Celticant

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 08, 2012, 11:12:13 PM
there should be te choice to switch between both perspectives at any time. not like we would run out of buttons for it anyways.

Completely agree.
I'm not totally against 3rd perspective.
As I said, it is great for battle. But when it comes to travel, it's not the best.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed