Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,708 times)

Vrastal

does anyone really want a repeat of aliens cm in movie form? i mean the hicks part. that is essentially what "its all a dream would do".

Hicks, ripley and newt are dead. they've been dead for 23ish years or hundreds by resurrection timeline.

reconnign would probably do more harm than good. even to satisfy the fanfic

Nightmare Asylum

Again, if they ever decided to bring Hicks back (which they probably never will), I'm almost completely sure that they wouldn't say it was a dream" in the film. They'd just move on from Aliens like the other films never happened.

Vrastal

Or they would continue after Aliens cm. and hicks gets his own story now. like beihn would ever come back

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: szkoki on Jan 07, 2015, 11:37:10 AM
who would play Ripley and Hicks?

I think Sharlto Copley should play Turk. He's the only one who could pull it off.

Local Trouble

Turk is too complex a character for Copley.  Daniel Day-Lewis or don't even bother.

Nightmare Asylum

I don't think enough people have played (or liked, or cared about) A:CM for it to have anything to do with any upcoming film.

Kel G 426

I doubt that even the biggest Hicks fans want a film version of ACM.  Everyone knows that's a bad example so stop bringing it up, people. :P

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Russ on Jan 09, 2015, 02:26:07 PM
Like I said, if the new Superman movie opened with Clark, Perry and co standing a by a grave that read "RIP Lois Lane" because it served the plot (for say a Wonder Woman romance), that wouldn't be acceptable.
Right. But Alien3 doesn't do anything like that. It's the equivalent of opening with Superman being busy doing something else while Lois died. Later, there's a funeral.

People can hate it all they want, it's still not a handwave or a cop out or any of a dozen other descriptions. A character is shown dying. Don't like it? Good, because you're not meant to.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

While Neumann's eloquent prose and heartfelt, in-depth characterizations would certainly warrant a multi Academy Award™ winning Shakespearean method actor, I feel that too many of the niceties and subtleties would be lost on the typical Aliens fanboi who just wants Xeno's & Pulse rifles in their Alien flick.

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2015, 08:39:38 AM
People can hate it all they want, it's still not a handwave or a cop out or any of a dozen other descriptions. A character is shown dying. Don't like it? Good, because you're not meant to.

I don't hate it - I say above, I think they were marked to die anyway. That's all good, it's how you deal with established characters is the point. That's the handwave/cop-out part. "Ahh, f**k it, we'll kill 'em off in the first reel, it'll resonate." Well, yes it does, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's not about "bringing Hicks back" -- But snuffing him out essentially off camera doesn't work well - and clearly, I'm not the only person that thinks that. Though I seem to be on this thread, it must be noted.

As I've said above -- Alien3 (Assembly) is a good movie, but in terms of the franchise, it was not the right call in terms of what had been established previously. Tonally, the deaths work for that movie, but it was the wrong movie (especially if we go on the theatrical cut!) - a square peg in the round hole of Aliens. But - standing alone without the events of Aliens, then Alien3 is as bleak and as fitting as it gets.

You know, I've just thought as I write this, I think what may stick in people's craw is the double deus ex. It's not just Hicks, its (for some the very irritating) Newt as well. Clearly, they're inconvenient for the plot of Alien3 (I still maintain, whoever on here came up with AL III EN is a hero in my eyes - its so much better) so they're just done away with, handwaved or whatever you want to call it.

That's the point. As you say, you're not supposed to like it when a character dies: you know as well as anyone, film is supposed to illicit emotion. A major character dies, we're supposed to feel sad, angry or both. We've invested in these characters, we want to be satisfied and have some emotion. The way Alien3 dealt with those those characters in a way breaks the fourth wall... you're not upset for the character, you're upset with the film.

All that said, in the final analysis, it is what it is and they made those decisions for whatever reasons. I don't know why they opted not to bring Michael Biehn back - I guess you (SiL) would know more about the production background to that I would. If it wasn't behind the scenes stuff (read: money and egos), then in terms of story for me it was a bad choice. Again, as I type, for me it's about lack of closure.

Yes. I think I have nailed it for myself and got to the heart of the matter (as far as I'm concerned, for me personally - doesn't have to apply to anyone else). It's like therapy in here - there is no closure for that character, his death is just mentioned and that's not good writing. As I say, the truth may be that it was all about off-screen stuff (in which case they had no choice).

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Jan 09, 2015, 06:53:01 PM

Sorry to start my posting on a negative note, but in what planet can you compare Superman and Alien tho.

On planet "illustrating a point about killing a major character off screen in a sequel to serve the plot."

Hicks had an arc in Aliens (from "just a grunt" to "Hicks is in command now" - which even Gorman accepts in the end). He was a protagonist (not "the" protagonist of course). It's bad form to kill them off screen without so much as by-your-leave. As I say, even GI Joe showed that, man... we had closure on Channing Tatum *lol*.

As for you words on the what kind of future there would be for Newt, I think in "A.N.Other" version, it would have taken place in the future with a grown Newt (if she was even going to be in it at all). But you're right, in whatever future, both of them would have been f**ked - if not initially, then certainly after the third movie that never was.

Again, as I type, maybe setting the story directly after Aliens caused problems? Though, I'll admit, kicking off another adventure that DIDN'T happen directly after ALSO has problems. The very first comic handled Hicks and Newt very well (and plays into your oligarchy stuff as well) but a machine gut toting Ripley was not as well done, I thought.

Mr. Clemens

Was 'Turk' that rasslin'-watchin', monster truck-drivin' bozo with the beard? I'm NOT playing the game again to find out.  :P

Local Trouble

Turk was unfortunate bandaged fellow who fell into Hicks' cryotube and was impaled by the EEV's safety support.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 11, 2015, 03:36:33 PM
Was 'Turk' that rasslin'-watchin', monster truck-drivin' bozo with the beard? I'm NOT playing the game again to find out.  :P

Yeah, he's that guy in Alien 3 that you mistook for Hicks during your autopsy.

Nightmare Asylum

Doug Williams wrote a brief blog post about the Blomkamp/Alien thing, and included this pretty great art piece:

http://pleaselookatmeneillblomkamp.blogspot.com/2015/01/alien.html#comment-form

viendammage

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2015, 08:39:38 AM
Quote from: Russ on Jan 09, 2015, 02:26:07 PM
Like I said, if the new Superman movie opened with Clark, Perry and co standing a by a grave that read "RIP Lois Lane" because it served the plot (for say a Wonder Woman romance), that wouldn't be acceptable.
Right. But Alien3 doesn't do anything like that. It's the equivalent of opening with Superman being busy doing something else while Lois died. Later, there's a funeral.

Prometheus is half prequel, half reboot.  Predators is half sequel half remake.  Superman Returns is a pseudo sequel to Superman.  Terminator 3 negated Terminator and T2.  X-Men Days of Future Past made $750 million dollars and I never saw 16 pages and 200+ responses explaining or complaining how Professor Xavier came back to life after being evaporated in 3.  His consciousness put into the comatose body of a twin brother we never heard about over 7 films?  The hardcore fans who would care or nitpick about things like that are not the general audience.  Highlander should have ended after the first movie but spawned 4 sequels and 2 television series.

If an in demand filmmaker like Blomkampp could come up with a decent story for a price, you bet your ass Fox would tell him to make an Aliens sequel with Ripley and Hicks with no mention of 3 or Resurrection.  They're not interested in continuity, they're interested in more franchise.   The comic books, video games, whatever mythology would have no bearing on a film whatsoever.  Look at the new Star Wars movies not taking into account any of the books, comics or video games from the last 30 years.  That's not going to stop them from being huge hits.  Unless they're really bad...

Fact is, people are way more excited to see Ripley and Hicks return than Prometheus 2 and that says a lot.  Any new movie won't be for the hardcore Alien experts who have followed it in every medium.  It's just been too diluted and the studio doesn't care as long as they can sell it off the back of a known and revered hit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed